Goose Island (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by dukeandduke, Feb 3, 2019.

1. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,226) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Cool MBA benefit this month, worth grabbing a booklet if you don’t have one for free growlers.

Saw Honkers Ale in the taplist (1/19 last update :rolling_eyes: ) which I’ll check out if they brewed it on site. Not sure if they cut off National Brewing and distribution at this point, heard they were.

FEBRUARY 2019 BENEFIT: You guys are as important to us as our wonderful staff, so we thought we'd treat you like them! Beginning February 2nd and lasting until February 28th, MBAs will get staff pricing on all house-brewed pints (that's $2.50!!!). Remember, please show your MBA card to your server/bartender upon arrival.

2. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (155) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Why are they cutting national distribution of Honker's ale? It used to be one of my favorite beers that I now can't find anymore.

3. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,226) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

They couldn’t get the beer right when production moved to NY, sales declined, and the powers that be ended production last year.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/goose-island-honkers-ale.587866/

Hope they brew and serve Honkers regularly at Clybourn, had an on-site produced pour last year which was very good.

Speaking of nationally produced GI, you can pick up 15 cans of 312 at Binny’s for $9.99 this weekend, add a penny for free Binny’s peanuts.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  4. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (353) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Honkers Ale is being brewed at Fulton for draft only.

FBarber, jbecke2 and dukeandduke like this.
  5. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (666) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

That's ridiculous. They have a cherry stout (I think it may even be barrel aged) that came out of the brewpub for $2.50? After drinking over sugar bombed NEIPAs since it became a Midwest thing, I was extremely pleased at the balance and flavors of the brewpub's Pith Lord and Brut IPA when I had them last month. I wasn't planning on going to Clybourn this month, but at those prices, how can I not? Especially if they have some hidden variants on (though those wouldn't get the discount).

dukeandduke likes this.
  6. galos11

galos11 Disciple (372) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

7. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (280) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Prices are brutal. Hard pass.

$65 for reserve 17? Come on.

8. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (386) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Prices on the others?

9. Quilentro

Trader

10. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (302) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

There is currently a New England style IPA being brewed at Clybourn. At least that's the assumption with the name "NEIPA"

11. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (362) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

I may have missed this, but whatever happened to that apple BCS variation? Did it get released or quietly scrapped?

12. croush

croush Crusader (737) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I thought it was just experimenting for next year's Prop or something. I wasn't expecting to see it anytime soon.

13. Quilentro

Trader

They said we’ll see it at Fulton sometime soon back in early January. I’d go ask today while trying a whale, but coffee barleywine (while good) seems like a small fish to me.

I haven’t seen it at Fulton, and I stop in every week or so.

dukeandduke likes this.
  14. HouseofWortship

Trader

Lol, they will not be stuffing apples like that into barrels if this becomes a production beer. They will use juice or extract or puree.

15. Jplachy

Trader

They'll use the Dorothy tanks just like they used for 2018. So technically they could use apple slices.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  16. HouseofWortship

Trader

Technically anything is possible...that just looks like an infection waiting to happen and far too labor intensive sanitizing and chopping up that quantity of apples for production...but who knows, the cut all the vanilla beans by hand in 2018....

dukeandduke likes this.
  17. ktr5010

Society Trader

What is a Dorothy tank?

18. Jplachy

Trader

Its a small tank you can fill with adjuncts and you run the beer from one tank to another through the adjuncts and back and forth until you get the desired flavor in the beer.

dukeandduke, flat_lander and ktr5010 like this.
  19. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (386) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The Blackhawk game event this Sunday at the warehouse looks pretty dope. I wanted to go last year, but couldn’t make it.

BCS Vanilla, Templeton Rye, and Founders CBS and KBS? Yes please.

http://bit.ly/2HwmojA

20. HouseofWortship

Trader

Pricing is very fair. Wish they would have done these things for Bears games...or did I miss it?

21. ktr5010

Society Trader

Think they only do these for Blackhawks/Red Wings games. Don't know why they don't do them for Bears/Lions games.

22. Quilentro

Trader

March 10th for stoutfest

Jplachy likes this.
  23. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,239) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

So, about that stoutfest. People have issues getting ticket(s)? I logged on late and Eventbrite showed 'Unavailable'. Tried again about 10-12 minutes later and one ticket popped up. Now it says 'Sold Out'.

24. HouseofWortship

Trader

They probably sold out of the presale if you logged on late. Circle back at the time general admission goes on.

25. MrDorkLard

MrDorkLard Initiate (80) Mar 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Are they really charging $15 more than last year for the same identical list of participating breweries?

26. Quilentro

Trader

Yes, but also adding food (“small bites”) I think? And don’t forget Chicago tax. $78! Ouch!

IlCraftWjgman likes this.
  27. HouseofWortship

Trader

If every other beer fest has increased pricing substantially over the past 5 years, why not Stoutfest?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  28. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,041) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I don't have an issue with the extra money towards "small bites" because I ended up ordering food the last time I was there anyway (a few years back). With that being said, I was hoping this wouldn't sell out so quickly, given how it feels like the public's opinion of the "Brewhouse" has cooled somewhat.

29. croush

croush Crusader (737) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I think a key is that the public's opinion of some of the listed breweries hasn't changed. You've got the BCBS lineup, More, Revolution, Half Acre and others. I'm definitely glad to be in the MBA party for this one with the extra hour and more food.

30. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,041) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah I know, I'm just guilty of being way too optimistic about BA events in the city.

31. diamdiam

diamdiam Initiate (41) Jan 18, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know when gen admission sold out?
    I got my tix right when it opened. I was busy at work so I didn't bother following up on status until just now.
    I'm just slightly disappointed that Pipeworks won't be there and to a lesser extent Mikerphone. But I still like the venue, a little more laid back.

32. Quilentro

Trader

Vaguely intrigued, but I wonder if pipeworks is gonna send in a ninja strike:

33. HouseofWortship

Trader

That should qualify for $2.50 house draft with MBA this month?

eppie82 likes this.
  34. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (346) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

How much were stout fest tix? I just saw someone on FB selling his 2 for $1k

Best Comment: Chris B. - "This post makes me cheer for Thanos"

35. Quilentro

Trader

I’m so good I answered your question from the past. Time travel!

croush likes this.
  36. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (346) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I must have skimmed past that as I dont frequent this thread. Ty sir!

37. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,239) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It qualifies for $2.50 (confirmed last night) and it's quite a good beer! It is very well done and 'clean' for NE IPA. Great aroma that was obvious when the glass was placed in front of me; really abundant juicy and tropical flavor, and went down easy for a medium mouthfeel 8% abv beer. I was thoroughly impressed. Maybe because I didn't expect much, it absolutely exceeded expectations. It's not a complete turbid orange juice NE IPA or overly sweet. Maybe that's also what I liked about it as well. But yeah... impressed.

SeanBond likes this.
  38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Lol, Thanos.

People can ask whatever they want for tickets, and it is great that someone enjoys Stoutfest so much that they value a ticket at $500, but that has no correlation to what they can actually get for it....

IlCraftWjgman and kreg02 like this.
  39. Quilentro

Trader

Binny’s LP has a goose collab called Clark and Sheffield Old Ale. Aged in bourbon barrels. $8.99 for 500 ml

capnmike and FBarber like this.
  40. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,878) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I grabbed one this weekend and Im planning to open it Saturday night - looked like a nice beer!

steveh and Quilentro like this.