Goose Island BCBS Tapping at Binny's South Loop

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by croush, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. croush

croush Crusader (789) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I haven't seen anyone discuss this year's event, but did see some threads on the last couple years. It sounds like last year's turned into a bit of a mess, but it looks like this year is different in terms of admission (paid event this year vs. the kinda free event last year's turned into). I'm hoping that makes the crowds a bit more manageable, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else going and/or heard anything about what they'll have on tap?

2. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (412) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

It sold out 35 minutes after it was announced on Twitter. I think that's why no one is talking about it. That said. I'll be there.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  3. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Doesnt the south loop store always have a varient on tap? Everytime I have been there they have had either regular or one of the variants on from various years.

4. croush

Trader

Yeah, I considered myself extremely lucky to be checking Twitter about 5 minutes after the announcement.

5. croush

Trader

I've never gone, but have heard they just about always have BCBS on tap. Not sure how frequently any variants appear.

6. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The variants are obviously more rare but they do always have BCBS on tap. Years vary. Last time I went the 2012 regular blew and they immediatly tapped 2012 coffee.

7. StoutTrout

StoutTrout Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2013 Illinois

They'll have the randalls flowing again this year, so I can't wait for that.

Also drink-tickets vs. cash bar like last year means the lines should move a LOT quicker.

stevegoz likes this.
  8. Jonnyhiggs

Jonnyhiggs Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Illinois

biggest problem was the damn line! Would get my beer, and just go back in line.

9. Chris_H_2

Chris_H_2 Aspirant (264) Jan 3, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

ok, it just occurred to me that i haven't received a tweet from binny's south loop in quite some time. does chris not work there anymore? i checked my twitter account, and can't seem to find that account.

what is the south loop twitter account?

10. kodt

kodt Defender (619) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

He stopped tweeting because of the constant harrasment and abuse employees would receive from angry customers after missing out on a rare beer that was tweeted in stock.

11. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (162) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

He's definitely still there.

See? This is why we can't have nice things.

Drucifer and BecauseWhalezbro like this.
  12. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (417) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Second hand info, but I have heard:

"Chris said this year's event wouldn't be as big as last year. 3 variants (no '14 coffee), regular Vert and 3 randalls."

13. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (152) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

It was the main Binny's account who twitted about it. I actually wondered about this after I bought and tried tagging the South Loop account.

But yeah I'll be there. Hoping for a smooth time

14. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (162) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Any info to share? What was on tap and in the Randalls? Surprises, highlights? And most importantly, what'll be left tomorrow for us shmucks who didn't get tickets?

15. Dontcounttoday

Trader

Prop, vanilla, 2012-2014 Bcbs, 2013/2014 barleywine. Vanilla Randalled with cherries, habenaro mango bw, and coffee Randalled regular.

Prop and Vanilla are gone for sure. Imagine Randalls won't be around tomorrow. Can't speak to the rest.

tag and whatruDOINdragic like this.
  16. RobotScott

RobotScott Initiate (90) May 21, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Talked to chris, really nice guy, and he said the 12, 13, 14 bcbs as well as bcbw will be available tomorrow. 2012 is close to kicking. Everything else mentioned will likely make it through the weekend.

Event was awesome and staff did a great job. Even the security guard was a nice guy. Asked him a question he ran of for 30 seconds and came back with an answer for us.

tag and whatruDOINdragic like this.
  17. croush

Trader

It was indeed an awesome event. I can't believe they didn't sell more tickets considering how light the crowd was, but that worked well for those of us that were there!

I didn't realize the cherry Randall was a vanilla base - I thought it was regular Randalled with vanilla and cherries. I didn't get any cherry flavor out of it, though. I didn't get the mango flavor in the habanero one, either.

It was my first time having Prop or Vanilla; I loved the Prop, and didn't care too much for the Vanilla (way too strong vanilla for my tastes). I also couldn't tell much different between the different years of BCBS, but that may have been due to the amount of beer I'd consumed at that point.

tag likes this.
  18. kodt

I heard the event was horribly over-packed with super long draft lines last year, so it was probably a good change. I think I went in 2013 and while it was pretty busy and the line was fairly long, it was an amazing event.

tag and otrejo like this.
  19. otrejo

otrejo Initiate (116) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois

Last year was a mess, last night seemed chilled. Good job by Binny's on addressing concerns after last year's debacle.

tag likes this.
  20. tag

tag Initiate (52) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Same here, didn't realize that was the VR base. I also didn't get much cherry, although it sure wasn't as sweet as the regular VR on tap so maybe the cherries helped to balance out the sweetness.

21. tag

tag Initiate (52) Dec 1, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Last time I went was also in 2013, that was a ridiculously awesome event. Brett Porter walking around with free pours of Rare, King Henry, and Bramble was unexpected to say the least. Last night didn't really have any huge surprises but was a great time none the less. Many thanks to Chris and rest of the South Loop crew!

Pic from 2013 :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

[​IMG]

otrejo and kodt like this.
  22. kodt

Yeah one of the most epic beer events ever.

IIRC Lineup was:

Draft:
    2009-2012 BCBS
    Cherry Rye
    Vanilla (2010)
    2011-2012 Coffee
    Baudoinia
    Night Stalker 2012

Fee pours from bottles:
    Bramble Rye
    King Henry
    Rare

Also bottles of Bramble, King Henry, and Rare were raffled off.

DarkMagneto, ohiobeer29 and tag like this.
  23. Dontcounttoday

Trader

I still prefer the previous years, before Prop and the insane hype and all that jazz. $1 pints of ice cream to make BCBS & Big John floats. It was amazing.

24. croush

Trader

This was my exact thinking...I preferred the Randall to the VR due to it seeming more balanced. Perhaps the cherries made that happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.