Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Goose Island Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Avelasquez80, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Avelasquez80

Avelasquez80 Initiate (81) Jul 9, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

Seems like they're catching the infected bottles early this year.

http://www.gooseisland.com/blog/2017-bourbon-county-variants

2017 BOURBON COUNTY VARIANTS
    Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2017 by

[​IMG]
    From Jared Jankoski, Brewmaster, Goose Island Beer Company

Hey there friends. We’re gearing up for the release of Bourbon County Stout around here. This year’s line-up is tasting great (even better than the pork shoulder I smoked last night) but we do have an update for you.

We planned for seven Bourbon County variants, and now we’re going to release six. Since we wanted to let you know first, here’s the scoop. Straight from the brewmaster’s mouth.

We will not be releasing Reserve Barleywine. This beer was aged for nearly two years in 35-year-old bourbon casks, and it was one of our most ambitious barrel projects to date. We know that both re-using barrels and lengthy aging time can put us in a vulnerable situation. But why not try it?

Well, as it turns out, it doesn’t taste like what we wanted it to. We noticed before release, so it won’t be shipping out this year. But, we still have six badass beers coming out on Black Friday, and we’re really proud of each one.

And before you ask, we’ve done extensive tasting and testing of the other variants and those beers are solid. They check out by both our quality testing program and our validated taste panel, i.e. people who are very good at tasting beer and do it a lot.

Believe me, we’re as bummed as you are. Well. More. But don’t worry – this year’s Bourbon County line-up will still give you plenty to ponder and appreciate with friends and loved ones. Brewer’s word.

Jared Jankoski

[​IMG]

#1 Avelasquez80, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Loops

Loops Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2014 Missouri

Two years of sitting and it turned out that bad, now I want to taste it.

3. Avelasquez80

Beer Trader

Right, might as well give it away ha ha.

funhog likes this.
  4. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Aspirant (258) Jun 25, 2016 New York

prices just went up to cover two years worth of aged beer down the drain.
    jokes aside, im wondering where the reserve stout will see distro...

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Reads to me like they caught the problem before bottling and while the beer was still in the barrels. That means the beer is going down the drain.

Such things are not uncommon in barrel aging programs regardless of the brewery involved. Indeed, some brewers typlically plan for the possibility that some barrels will be dumped.

Lone_Freighter and Avelasquez80 like this.
  6. Avelasquez80

Beer Trader

Also, this sounds pretty damn interesting:

Potential: Goose Island Double Barrel Bourbon County
    [​IMG]

Founder, Beer Street Journal. Stormtrooper.

BYREIDRAMSAY6 hours ago
    Goose Island Double Barrel Bourbon County, a double barrel aged edition of the well-known stout is in the works.

Currently, just a keg label has surfaced. Next month when Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout returns (on Black Friday), a double barrel aged variation might surface as well.

No word on which barrels were used for this variant and no release has been officially announced. This edition is big on booze – to the tune of 17.2% alcohol by volume.

Style: Imperial Stout (Barrel Aged. Bourbon.)
    Availability: Draft Only. (Currently)
    Debut: TBA

17.2% ABV

7. Punisher1976

Punisher1976 Initiate (143) Jan 4, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Are those the 2015 rare barrels? I'd be nervous if I were sitting on a few of those.

8. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,434) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

The blueberry-almond and banana-almond-cinnamon versions sound gross.

9. stoutstud

stoutstud Initiate (120) Sep 18, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I believe reserve stout was just Chicago and Kentucky

JFresh21 and KBlodorn like this.
  10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I will happily take all of them, looking forward to seeing what hits AZ, some sound a little crazy but I am willing to roll with them and try.
    Cheers.

11. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (747) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

My 15 Rare was infected, straight sour cherry juice, while not as bad as the infected bw, im sure they want to avoid any quality issues moving forward. Wasn't tasting how we hoped is double speak for infected, just like it was two years ago.

Number1Framer likes this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,466) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'd like to see more land here this year, last year was pretty scarce.

dprice likes this.
  13. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,477) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I just heard that due to the usual low Sophie sales in the state, that our allocation will once again be pitiful. Last year it was like ten cases for the state, and I managed to get one bottle. No variants make it here. Why in the world tie allocation to sales of one beer that is quite different than the one being rationed? Ridiculous - why not total GI sales? Founders uses total Founders sales for KBS allocation.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  14. flat_lander

flat_lander Aspirant (218) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've had the opportunity to partake in 2 different bottles of Rare 15. One in June '16 the other last Saturday. Both were fantastic.

funhog and Webbbeer like this.
  15. NewmansOwn

Email them, they will make it right.
    What do you mean was?

16. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

KBlodorn likes this.
  17. bgold86

bgold86 Crusader (747) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I did and got a wordy pr decline. Sent them a follow up and they never got back to me.

18. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

:rage::angry: Eat shit Goose Island!!! After last year's major screw ups, I'm not even remotely interested in your garbage. First it's infected beer, then it's wrong amounts of money sent to people or not sent at all. And I know I'm not the only person who's still waiting on a check and never mind the shirt. Bourbon County line-up was the only thing you had going for you, because the rest of your stuff is mediocre at best. Now even that is forever tarnished. :nauseated_face:

19. ericwo

ericwo Initiate (78) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Don't give them your money!

20. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

How do you know it was just Sofie rather than overall sales within the state? Why should your state be any different than all the rest where it is tied to overall sales?

Ristaccia likes this.
  21. NewmansOwn

22. NewmansOwn

Sorry to hear that. I emailed them about a bad rare bottle and a couple bottles of 2014 Coffee and they sent me a check. This was a while back though...

23. stoutstud

Beer Trader

Goose
    my bad. *is going to be*

24. stoutstud

Beer Trader

Now I can wait in line for electronics like a normal American

25. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (471) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Dam was really looking forward to that one. Stoked either way.

26. Avelasquez80

Beer Trader

I opened one of mine for the Floyd Mcgregor fight and man oh man was it good! The heat mellowed out perfectly and I got all the flavors together and it was delicious. I have one left so I'm hoping to add some bourbon county to my cellar this year.

27. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (144) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Got better local options on the shelf, I would guess most do. Did get a check for my bottles, they also sent me a shirt. Whatev. Now they want me to advertise for them? Hmm. Seems like a marketing ploy. I wear it when mowing my lawn.

Number1Framer likes this.
  28. Avelasquez80

Beer Trader

Yeah, I don't even know what happened to my shirt.

29. Hopsonhops

Hopsonhops Initiate (115) Sep 13, 2017 New York

Thats it man let it all out :grin::grin::grin:

jakecattleco, cello, Eddiehop and 6 others like this.
  30. bbtkd

Supporter Subscriber

No idea why we'd be different but I've heard this from a couple of sources who heard it from the distributor. Suppose it could be the distributor focusing on Sophie, but I'm baffled as to why. Maybe they bought too much?

drtth likes this.
  31. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,101) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Not trying to stir the pot, legit interested in what's on your shelf that's better. As much as the whole situation with GI galls me, and I have had infected bottles (and been reimbursed), still think the regular bcbs is pretty delicious and tend to grab them when I see them (about 10-11 dollars each in the ny area).

croush and 7irondave like this.
  32. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (258) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

DS & PM Dawn are the best stouts in MA imo, but are not "on the shelf." What beers are you referring to? I'd love to find a good local gem as we enter stout season.

33. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (742) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Though not better than bcbs imo, crasher in the rye is on shelves down here so surely is up there and would be a good shelf substitute.

34. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (258) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Clown Shoes does have a strong stout game but wouldn't call it better either

dirtyfonzie likes this.
  35. Leebo

Ipswich has one, Zumatra? Jacks Abby framminghammer, regular or BA. Plus some of the variants. Cambridge brewing, "you enjoy my stout," not sure if it is being made this year. Harpoon, czenoborg. Last year's Harpoon interrobang, a 18% cold brew espresso stout, easily a top 5 for me in that category. May not happen this year. Add the regular SN narwhal too. So many BA stouts around, so many available, just look?

36. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Some of those are pretty good. Some are totally different style(s). So, you're comparing apples to oranges. But over all, they're not even in the same ball park.

37. Leebo

Thought we were on BA stouts? JA framminghammer, the CBC BA stout and the interrobang by harpoon. Coffee is one of the GI variants. Dude.

38. Avelasquez80

Beer Trader

Getting one of these would be bad ass!!

39. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (329) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

You are correct, though as I recall Matilda was also involved (as were Pere Jacques and Pepe Nero when they were made). Those are some high margin brews and I'd suppose they're using them as identifiers of strong craft markets (I'd argue they identify slowly maturing craft markets, if people haven't realized these are ABINBEV products, but aren't opposed to paying more than $6.99/6pk).

The reason I imagine they do this is because the core GI portfolio has so many corporate placements, and at stores they will just keep discounting it until it moves. It's consistently the cheapest PA/IPA option in urban areas, as well as at stadiums, ball parks, airlines, etc

bbtkd likes this.
  40. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,768) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

In all fairness, 10 cases-isn't that like 2 bottles for every person in the state?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.