Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Goose Island Bourbon County 2017

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Avelasquez80, Oct 19, 2017.

1. KBS

KBS Disciple (306) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

While this is technically true, the manufacturer often works closely with the distributor on some of these types of things. They have sales reps that call on the distributors to set up promotions, etc. The manufacturer can choose their distributor so it’s in their best interest to work with the manufacturer. If BCBS was on Sofia allocations which was set up by GI, it wouldn’t be a secret, they would be pushing all year.

2. croush

croush Zealot (579) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oh, that’s an awfully beer nerd tinfoil hat way of putting it!

BWood and Beer_Economicus like this.
  3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (217) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

O M G.

I did not even read that correct the first time through. It's only due to your astute observation that I had to reread it a third time. That's just fantastic.

BWood likes this.
  4. Beertwig

Beertwig Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2016 Sweden

Best place in Boston to get some bottles?

5. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

You'll probably want to post in the appropriate sub-forum, and provide your time-frame for being in Boston, if you'll have a vehicle, where you'll be staying, etc.

FBarber likes this.
  6. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Disciple (305) Aug 23, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Have they announced how many bottles they made of the reserve bcbs? I’ll be in Kentucky during that time and have never been able to score anything besides regular bcbs. Thanks!

7. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

One of the various articles posted across the various BC threads indicated "110 casks." Or something close to that. The 'Grit and Grain' video showed that they were just barrels though?

8. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (232) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

In the bourbon world isn't cask just another name for a barrel?

BeerPugz and raynmoon like this.
  9. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I do not know. I was confused.

If they made 110 barrels, that would be a huge amount of the Reserve. That would be fantastic. I just wonder how much is in bottles.

10. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

My quick math says if all 110 barrels passed qc and were bottled, which probably wouldn't happen, that would yield almost 4000 cases. I'm not sure how many cases of BC variants are normally produced but that number doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

11. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (728) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Barrels of spirit are larger than a barrel of beer. Something around a 50 gal vs 31 gal difference.

12. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

I used 55 gallon barrel for my calculation but now that I looked it up bourbon barrels are only 53 gallons so that changes it slightly but it's still just under 4,000 cases, 3,680 to be exact.

13. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (728) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Oh Ok, yeah I didn't even check if you did or not. I assumed like an ass. Lol.

14. rabbott2

rabbott2 Zealot (529) Jan 14, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

first year in several that I will be travelling on this Friday. Heading from Peoria, IL to Grand Rapids, MI. Basically I-55, I-80, and then 94 and 196 in Michigan. Does anyone have any locations along this route that would be good spots to hit up? I know that's a long distance, but I have no clue what Munster, Gary, IN will get, let alone SE Michigan. I know people love to keep their honey holes secret, but if anyone would like to let me know some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Would even send thank you beers. PM if needed.

15. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Devotee (464) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

Is there a regular BCBS under 14% this year?

16. MichaelShmichael

MichaelShmichael Aspirant (224) Apr 17, 2017 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

No indication of one so far, I emailed GI a few days ago but haven't heard back.

17. rden4654

rden4654 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Is anybody even chasing this stuff this year!?!? I thought last years fell so far below the bar they raised after the pasteurization they did. The claim was it wouldn't change the flavor of the beer. I call Bullshit. Most of my friends aren't even wasting there time with it this year. And the Barleywine was a joke. Just so disappointing!

Eddiehop likes this.
  18. Beer_Economicus

Beer Trader

I hope you come out in droves. Or don't. Whichever way you read that as long as you stay home.

19. rden4654

Beer Trader

Umm.... Okay

20. Hoppedelic

Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought last years regular was sublime. I've been drinking Bourbon County since 2008 and last years was just as good as any other year. I think it's all in your head.

21. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (475) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Don't cut yourself on that edge my dude.

22. jkane101

jkane101 Devotee (491) Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Last years version was fine. And no I don’t Chase this anymore but if I happen to come across it I’ll grab a bottle or two.luckily the area I live has an abundance of it, at least the regular version

MJS08 likes this.
  23. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (161) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Let's bad mouth a beer so people don't go hunting and we can buy more. Nice plan, Batman.

Invinciblejets, croush and rabbott2 like this.
  24. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (257) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

This. My feelings are that the 16.9 singles vs 12oz 4packs was too much and not enough. Also, being stiffed on the drain pours left a bad taste in my mouth. Pun intended. It lasted about a week around here last year, and a retailer acting like he is doing you a favor by selling you one bottle while you're grabbing a bunch of Celebration just ain't the way I like shopping. It's great beer, of course, so, enjoy.

25. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (282) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Doubtful.. I believe it's supposed to be coming in at somewhere between 14.1 and 14.7. Northwoods, though, I believe is like 12.5 or so

26. thing85

thing85 Initiate (32) Jul 8, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You must be joking. 2016 regular was as good as any prior year. Are you sure you someone didn't scam you and sell you an infected 2015?

27. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Devotee (464) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

ugh the last few years they have had two different abv's and one always was, 14% is the cap in MT, looks like no BCBS this year :angry:

28. rden4654

Beer Trader

Not a joke BCBS fell well short of expectations IMO! It was my favorite beer!

29. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (283) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Barleywine Reserve was the only reason to go beer hunting this time around. Oh well, I guess I'll just save money.

Eddiehop and Boldbrew like this.
  30. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (137) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

GI has/had a good amount of beer last year with just about any given variants. 14 VR, Prop, Rare, 12 - 14 Regular & Barleywine saw multiple releases and tastings through the year. Im kinda assuming this year shall yeild a good quantity of this pretty sweet lineup.

Lots of breweries have been uping production and with this year weve seen lots of what was hard to get beer in massive quantities.

None of this is a complant. I love being able to find great these beers and enjoy them in the quantity Ive found them at.

BCS shall not dissapoint this year, like it has been every year Ive had it. Excited to taste the re-brewed original 'Black Cat' Coffee. While 13 Coffee may be one of the best years for Coffee; that espresso Inteligensia weirdly invokes nastalgia for me as I brewed that roast when I was a Barista.

31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,521) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Of course you saw a lot of BCBS last year, but not all of us live in Illinois. Many markets had substantially less or none last year, and never see any variants.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  32. timw007

timw007 Initiate (133) Jul 20, 2017 Florida
    Beer Trader

GA isn't getting the 2017 regular. The place I'm going to is selling the 2016 regular and the 2017 coffee. They will have 2017 Northwoods on tap, but no bottles.

33. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (399) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

What is Northwoods? I tried googling but didn't see anything that made sense.

34. KBlodorn

Beer Trader

Bourbon County with blueberry juice and almond extract.. Think marzipan

35. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (257) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Supporter Subscriber

36. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (399) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Ah thanks, I checked the GI blog but I didn't see where they called it that. That one sounds better than the banana version!

37. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (67) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Since they're pasteurized now, does it mean they have to be consumed ASAP? Or can they be aged still?

38. KBlodorn

Beer Trader

Only one way to find out

39. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (137) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You can, but the aging has a less noticable effect on the beer.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  40. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (67) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

I thought that "dead beers" (pasteurized) expire after several months.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.