Goose Island Bourbon County 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lazhal, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (461) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

The first label has been filed for...

BCBDBS. Try saying that five times fast!

Bourbon County Brand Double Barrel Stout.

Read the Tenemu story here.

Also filed is the label for regular BCBS. It received a change for the first time since the bottle format change. It now lists tasting notes instead of aromas. Perhaps most notably, a dried fruit flavor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

11 year then 12 year barrels? Not a whole lot of noticeable difference in the flavor profile I'd imagine, there though a valiant effort. Hopefully no infections so Heaven Hill doesn't get a bad rap due to ABI's less than stellar overall record.

3. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,645) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’m so glad that the standard bcbs continues to sit in stores far and wide, it’s still entirely exceptional and I pick some up whenever I come across it. Then drink it. I’ve been averaging one every other week or so lately and it still holds its own against many of the super limited releases and in many (most?) cases exceeds them.

Definitely curious about the double EC bottles, hope they find their way to the east coast. I’m no fan of the predatory practices of AB-INBEV but the bourbon county line is pretty hard to pass up. Crazy that there are stacks of regular, orange, vanilla and wheat wine available at multiple locations near me.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I'd have to travel or trade for BCBDBS, presuming it isn't distributed across the GI distribution footprint. I am looking forward to our second year of getting variants, and the banana split variant sounds good :wink:

Loops likes this.
  5. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Got my first taste of this last year and was duly impressed. Might make half an effort to find a variant this year but will definitely pick up a bottle or two of regular if it comes out our way again

GuyFawkes, mkh012 and Loops like this.
  6. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

With variants hitting our market for the first time in 2018 and selling out quickly, we still have regular on the shelves where previously it was gone in a couple of hours. Now I'm just not into regular BCBS as much, might buy a bottle or two this year.

7. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Aspirant (228) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

No one does barrel aging beers better than goose island.. Going to get my fair share

8. mybeerbuzz

mybeerbuzz Initiate (89) Mar 31, 2008 Pennsylvania

There are actually 7 Variants informally "announced" so far including an Oyster Stout and a dry-hopped stout. I also suspect we'll see another decoy variant this year as well.

Loops and stevepat like this.
  9. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (314) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

"...wait are you serious?"

::checks join date::

"Oh, you must be new here."

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The truck chasers are already starting their cars. We never get a lot of the variants, hell sometimes none at all, but the double barrel sounds good, but as mentioned I wouldn’t think there would be any noticeable difference between 11 and 12 year old barrels. I haven’t bought BCBS in years as I much prefer the older bottles, the current one is a bit unwieldy.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  11. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Imo.... Every goose island Reserve variant ive had has been the best barrel aged beer ive had all year long... I'm not the only one who thinks so according to untappd highest rated beers

#11 Justonemore91, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. Prince_Casual

Trader

You were clearly not around for the infection catastrophe that would have put basically any other brewery out of business. In 2015 GI had to recall 4 dates of brand stout, 2 barleywine, all bottled coffee, most (or all?) of the prop. They issued millions in refunds AND STILL managed to screw tons of customers by putting in a hard stop/ arbitrary cutoff that was not publicized, for submitting for a refund.

"The best I tell ya, the best!"

I'm not saying the beers are bad, because they are good, but to call them the best at barrel aging is laughable. They made probably the costliest mistake in the history of brewing, not even five years ago.

13. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Ive never had an infected bottle.. Every bottle of every year ive had has been spectacular with depths of insane flavor imo.. Its just something I look forward to every year

14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,314) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Except Firestone, and Fremont, and Kane, and Modern Times, and... well, you get it. I like the dried fruit tasting notes. No more infection recalls, right?

15. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (526) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I believe all bottles of 2015 Prop were bad, but kegged 2015 Prop was okay.

Someone send this man a 2015 Barleywine...for science!

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of BCBS. I've been into craft beer for 20+ years. But when I tried BCBS for the first time 5 or 6 years ago, it pushed things to a new level. That said, the 2015 infection issue was bad, pretty pervasive, and well documented at this point. There are several bottling dates of regular that are okay and taste fantastic if you ever come across it. 2015 was also the last year BCBS was not flash pasteurized.

16. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,270) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

OMG I can't wait!!!! /Sarcasm. Actually nobody needs to wait because we can all go out and but bourbon county sitting on the shelf right now. Along with KBS and others.

dennis3951 and SFACRKnight like this.
  17. enhill73

enhill73 Initiate (28) Mar 15, 2016 Florida
    Trader

And you've clearly not around for the tons of other high end brewieres who had infection issues as well. This isn't isolated to just GI. Surly, Weldworks, Cycle have had some and their BA programs are world class. GI has been doing BA stouts for 20+ years and to my knowledge have had one infection issue. Pretty good record.

Hate on GI if you want to, but find me a brewery putting out that quality of BA stouts at that quantity year after year. You can't. Imagine if GI just did 2000-3000 bottle runs like most of the high end brewieres do. I'd bet they would be right up there with best of the best especially if they started to do more popular adjuncts like the other brewieres do.

18. joon2007

joon2007 Initiate (23) Dec 15, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I agree with that. Considering the huge quantity of BCBS every year, GI’s BA program might be the world best.

BuffaloBill12 and Loops like this.
  19. Rustytacos

Rustytacos Initiate (116) Mar 19, 2018 California
    Trader

Regarding the infected issue for 2015, I never had the chance to try any variants, only the regular. However I did a 2014 - 2018 vertical and 2015 was the best of the bunch. I even got to try 2015 on draft during SF beer week at city beer and it was just as amazing. Was able to pick up 2 bottles(non infected dates) of 2015 reg and can't wait to try it so there's that. I will be looking forward to this year's release as I felt 2018 regular was the best since 2015 hopefully I'm able to get the variants again as well.

Supermario79 and Loops like this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,314) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Budweiser clearly has the best labs at their disposal. You're high if you think they should get a pass forinfection. Then the Budweiser owned distributors put recalled bottles from 15 into cases of 16 and redistributed them. I can let an infection go, but weldwerks surly and hundreds of other breweries didnt redistribute their shitty bottles.

mambossa, denver10 and stevepat like this.
  21. Prince_Casual

Trader

Again, I didn't say no one else has had infection issues, nice strawman though. I said I don't think you can say "no one does barrel aging better" without acknowledging that they sold tens/hundreds of thousands of infected bottles, then were real shitty giving refunds and hung many many people out to dry with undrinkable beer. They also took a beer they were making plenty of money on in $20 4pks, and made it a $9.99 500ml, more than doubling the $/oz overnight.

::Carry on whiteknighting anti-competitive GI/ABINBEV::

pinballplayer and SFACRKnight like this.
  22. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Aspirant (240) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Meh, I never find any of the variants locally, and I'm reticent to hunt around Charlotte or Asheville just to find a bottle.

23. Justonemore91

Society Trader

Would not let one years bad batch ruin over a decade of supplying delicious barrel aged stouts and barleywine.. I still dig it cheers

24. Justonemore91

Society Trader

25. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (432) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

26. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (702) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Why no barleywine ? :cry:

GreenBayBA, Number1Framer and DISKORD like this.
  27. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (432) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

I think the wheatwine replaced it.

JayWhitson likes this.
  28. nc41

Trader

I just generally pass on the regular, I think Old Hickory Event Horizon is just flat out better. Certainly not cheap though.

BeardedWalrus likes this.
  29. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (288) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

I know right! Wheatwine is a sweet mess.

30. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (219) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Rhonda help!!!!!

This is always released Black Friday, right? It’s been a while since I paid attention.

Thx.

31. micada

micada Aspirant (211) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Dammit, where in NY do you have stacks? We got one shipment upstate and haven’t seen any reshelving since Black Friday. Bullsh!t distro!

Loops likes this.
  32. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,270) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Any word on the fruity pebbles and cocaine varient? Been lusting after it since forever.

GuyFawkes, hoagzzz, Vitacca and 11 others like this.
  33. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,645) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I’m in the Lower Hudson Valley, work in the city, pass through northern NJ regularly. If you’re near any of those areas I’m happy to point you in the right direction. NY is obviously vast and I expect there are large areas that didn’t see this kind of saturation.

cavedave likes this.
  34. micada

micada Aspirant (211) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

Nowhere near there regularly, unless I’m passing through JFK. Here in Lockport, NY...dust bunnies for BCBS. Happily, though, Firestone-Walker boxed series have been hitting the shelves pretty regularly.

tobelerone likes this.
  35. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I would put parabola easily in the same tier and BCBS. I was impressed with BCBS when I finally had it just because it is rare for me to try a beer of that hyped status, after it has massively increased production, and find it to actually be world class. But if you can get parabola you aren't missing out

Brehnert, Supermario79 and micada like this.
  36. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (707) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

If if regular BCBS to be sweet. Never seen any variants. Not bought any in a few years. Preferred the 12oz format.

$ for $ BCBS is a great deal. Sure there are better ones out there but do they have a huge distributor? Are they less than $10 a bottle?

Even a few years ago BCBS was considered the best. If the same beer was put out by some small Indy place it would trade for $100+ a bottle and be better than”any beer on earth”

Enjoy

37. johnInLA

johnInLA Champion (834) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society

Really?

Bottle Logic, Side Project, just to scratch the surface?

Don't get me wrong BCBS, and its variants, are great beers. But "no one does it better"? I think that is worth a challenge,

I would love to hear from others. Who's barrel program stands above Goose Island? Call them out.

38. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (402) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

The 4-packs they are putting out now are fairly reasonable.

nc41 likes this.
  39. nc41

Trader

That was a solid move, I just don’t feel the need fo BC regular, thin EH is just as good or better and only 9.75 abv too.

40. Junior

Junior Zealot (599) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I wish ABinBev would figure that out and send more to Michigan. It’s so limited I quit trying to even get it. Nearly every store sells out in hours. Variants are even more scarce.

nc41 and BaseballNBeer like this.