Goose Island Bourbon County 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lazhal, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,096) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

They are few and far between, and often not readily available on shelves themselves year round--especially in Chicago.

I don't think most people are standing in line for regular BCBS anymore, hell Ohio's only had distribution of Bourbon County for a couple years now after our ABV limit increased, and we can find it on shelves long after Black Friday.

The variants, whether good or bad, are of a quality unmatched available at retail nationwide.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,511) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

They should of sucked up those infected batches of BC then. I worked hard for my first BC Cherry many years ago, and when I was drinking it the only thing I got was that sour cherry note. It reminded me of infected Stouts Ive had in the past. I don’t favor that profile at all. I like dark fruit like plums, raisins, figs etc.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  3. Sabtos

Society Trader

Ya cherry in stouts...that's a thin red line.

JakerLou and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  4. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Champion (856) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Not sure you want to pick-up the MO, word in the Great Lakes forums is that the orange flavor has almost completely faded out.

5. Gkruszewski

Gkruszewski Poo-Bah (2,167) Nov 1, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

It’s goose island’s only time of the year to shine ....(Thanksgiving weekend ) the brewery is mediocre at best ....

Crusherone, MonkeyBread and james02 like this.
  6. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Devotee (452) Jan 8, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Ok. I had one fresh and haven’t bought anymore. The $25ish price point isn’t justified IMO

HouseofWortship likes this.
  7. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (214) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I was in Chicago in mid-July and went into one of the shitty beer-wine shops on North Clark st and they had lots of all the variants (including the orange), I'm guessing because the prices were in the $30 range. I picked up a bottle of 2017 bcbs for around $10.

8. HouseofWortship

Trader

It pains me to say it, but if you tried their canned offerings lately in a blind taste test they may sneak a few in on you.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,487) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

These bottles sell out the day of here because they are limited. I have never seen them sit. I won't stand in line for these beers when i have a better shot at grabbing a BA noche or FW parabola. As far as variants there are plenty of beers, while not distributed on a national scale, are of better quality than BCB_S. Who cares if you can buy something everywhere? I can get a bug mac anywhere. Why should I stand in line for it?

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  10. Sabtos

Society Trader

Can't get BCBS everywhere any time of day all day long.

We have a few excellent barrel aged stout producing breweries near me, maybe not as many as you in CO, and I patronize them all year round. Their offerings come and go, though, and for the most part you HAVE to get them on draft. I can buy 3 bottles of BCBS each year and expect a very high quality and very similar experience over many years, and not have to drink them all in one sitting or even one year. It's a nice luxury to have if you want it. And it's fun to experiment with too (New Glarus looking at you!).

Anyway, it fills in the gaps when I go lengths of time between all my local and all my trade bottles with less to drink on the regular. And also, is often a nice surprise at being more enjoyable than many of the rarer beers.

Fordcoyote15 and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. rcjennings

rcjennings Zealot (530) Jun 3, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I know it’s still pretty early, but has anyone heard about what’s going to make its way to Ohio, specifically northeast Ohio?

12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,095) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You'll have to talk to someone local that knows the distributor, and even then they may not know yet. Might have to wait until November to find out.

13. santig0nzalez

santig0nzalez Initiate (78) Mar 28, 2016 Paraguay
    Trader

Hello
    Quick question, Im going to be in Chicago in this dates from abroad.
    Which places you recommend so I can get the variants?

14. HouseofWortship

Trader

Do you enjoy urban camping in cold weather?

15. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,508) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

You should be able to get everything at the brewery

16. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I hear there is this store called Binny's out in Chicagoland. That's where most people go, just be prepared to get in line early if you really want the varients, good luck.

17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,508) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Are all the variants really expected to sell out in one day in their home market? In the same thread where people are talking about it sitting for weeks all over the place?

Brent212 likes this.
  18. HouseofWortship

Trader

Yes, the variants stocked at resellers should sell out on release day in Chicago, but distributors will keep sending stock to them in successive weeks. It's artificial scarcity....

19. flat_lander

flat_lander Crusader (729) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Binny's Lincoln Park. Come early. Get everything in one stop. See the spectacle, eat the pancakes. When they open, pretty sure GI Clybourn across the street puts stuff on draft. Also, watch the Great Lakes forum Bourbon County thread as things get closer. We're more fun anyways.

the_bavarian and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  20. HouseofWortship

Trader

Black Friday is also great for budget travelers. They can forgo the expense of a hotel for a night and sleep in line at Binny's in the safety of festive neckbeards..

surfcaster, jrnyc, Junior and 10 others like this.
  21. bbtkd

Society Trader

Thought I'd crack one this weekend after seeing posts referring to the orange fading. I'd have to say that the chocolate has come to the forefront, but the Orange is still hanging in there. I plan to finish my last one before the end of the year.

Sabtos, joon2007, drtth and 1 other person like this.
  22. Sabtos

Society Trader

I personally think the very light accent of orange that remains will stay at the level it's achieved at this point.

hopley, mogulskier and bbtkd like this.
  23. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (108) Feb 3, 2019 California

I hope so. I still have one bottle left. After I drank one a few weeks ago, I was disappointed that the orange faded so quickly, but it was still there, although taste was dominated by dark chocolate, and that combined with the subdued orange in the finish was really tasty and still very good.

24. micada

micada Devotee (470) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

I like BCBS despite all the dying hype and hate, but distribution in upstate NY is terrible. I hear about all these bottles sitting on shelves, and it makes me want to do beer runs. Wegmans got it, but I don’t know if we/they ever got a second drop. Very irritating.

I have a supposedly non-infected 2015, i.e, good date range. Such nostalgia finding the little treasures back in the day. Now, shelf turds abound, and no one will truck them over here for me to buy them. Did I say very irritating?

#464 micada, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  25. micada

Trader

I think that everyone should just send me all the BCBS of all types. Then, no one can or will bitch. Call me the peacemaker...

26. micada

Trader

As said elsewhere, people are encouraged to send me this terrible, terrible, boring beverage in the name of peace. I will begrudgingly drink the swill as a gesture of BA brotherly sacrifice.

raynmoon and Junior like this.
  27. micada

Trader

Fresh fruit framework?
    Juiciness juxtapositioning?

28. micada

Trader

Oh, smart man! We had one local retail chain that stashed a 2010 DFH WWS keg, opened in December 2017 for growler fills. Retailers that age stout/barleywine stuff for consumers are the real heroes of the beer industry.

bbtkd likes this.
  29. micada

Trader

No truer words were said. My shelf is testament..preach!

bbtkd likes this.
  30. Sabtos

Society Trader

Welcome to June and August of 2019 @micada enjoy your time traveling!

31. micada

Trader

I hear it’s not even really the brewer, but the distributor with the volume demands.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  32. micada

Trader

You’re killing me. Mapquesting route to South Dakota from NY now...

bbtkd likes this.
  33. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (320) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

Where in upstate?

34. micada

Trader

The 2017 Stone Xocoveza I just drank must have been tainted! Color me embarrassed!

35. bbtkd

Society Trader

The 2015 is gone now, but some 2017 and 2018 still lingering. Turns out the distributor had been squirreling away cases starting in 2015, but as far as I know the few 2017 and 2018 left on shelves are it. They also squirreled away Abyss 2012 through 2018. One store still has most of those years left. I tried a 2012 and...cardboard taste, hadn't aged well.

36. micada

Trader

Lockport. NorthEast of Buffalo proper. Wegmans had a few cases around on BF, but then nothing by the following week. I’ve been fortunate finding several FirestoneWalker boxed treats, so my pain is slightly lessened.

37. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,298) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Does anyone have any indication as to which bottles will be for distro, and which will be Chicago / brewery only? I'm guessing the Double Barrel, 2 Year and Proprietor's will be non-distro and the rest will be scattered around the country as per past years. Any other better educated / more scientific perspectives? I'm in MA and last year we got a ton of Vanilla and a tiny bit of Bramble so that would portend we'll get a ton of Cherry and maybe one other along with the usual welcome glut of BCBS.

38. Speedy1985

Speedy1985 Initiate (37) May 1, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Considering that I saw pallets of cases stacked yesterday, it looks like by best guess, that at least north/central NJ will be getting the regular, Cafe Olla, Rye Reserve, and Wheatwine variants. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if any others are queued up for distribution.

39. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

For the life of me I will never understand why the wheatwine variant was popular and our beloved King Henry 2.0* (aka, Bourbon County Brand Barleywine) was first ruined with a different barreling process and then killed off. I mean, don't get me wrong, last year's wheatwine was fine, but it wasn't anything special.

*technically 3.0 if we count draft-only variants

40. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Defender (623) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I doubt we will ever see a (the?!) second coming of King Henry, but BW will return without a doubt.

I’d love to see a BW reserve or DB BW, either of which I suspect will return the same year BW does.

*takes off tin foil hat*