Goose Island Bourbon County 2019

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lazhal, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (463) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I recall a statement last year that implied they purposely got approval for fake labels. I think it was from Josh Noel. Based on how folks on BA interpret his Bourbon County research over the years he is either the most trustworthy, or most full of shit. Either way, he has done a TON of research.

The links I could dig up on the matter are:

https://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/20...coffee-barleywine-variants-goose-island-beer/
    https://inside.com/campaigns/inside...lineup-following-label-approval-fakeout-51390
    And finally here is the Josh Noel report, I originally mentioned:
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-food-bourbon-county-2018-actual-lineup-20180808-story.html

2. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,655) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Late to the conversation here but Kane ANTEAD and BCBS variants aren’t comparable. The latter is widely available on shelves (still) while the former was gone in a matter of hours and available at the brewery only. Great beer (esp some of the variants) but I can stumble into an Optimo at 1am and grab a bottle of 2018 BCBS for ten bucks.

3. FourFingers414

FourFingers414 Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Poor logic or fact. It wasn't a matter of not working out. It was a matter of distraction. You have to keep in mind that Goose island bottles BCS & variants well before the release date. So they know exactly what is going to, "work out".

4. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (434) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

that may all very well be true. it's still poor logic to simply say because it wasn't released, it was fake. had the statement cited something of substance (you know, like you just did), that'd be different.

i don't think we are in a position to know whether Josh's findings are correct. there's just as much chance all those examples were true experiments. if they all failed & won't be released, given what's transpired, good chance GI wouldn't want to tell you they suffered multiple failures. fake labels sounds better than basically admitting they're still struggling. not saying that's what happened. just pointing out a legit possibility.

5. FourFingers414

FourFingers414 Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

We're talking about a brewery that admittedly released infected BCS in 2015 & inevitably gave back a ton of money to consumers. Also I might add that lead to the decrease in yield for 2016 due to budget losses.

So, would they admit to having known issues with potential BCS releases? Yes, yes the would. Because they wouldn't want to compromise their reputation. Goose island is very transparent about what they do & how they handle things. So to assume that things turned south isn't a very likely situation. However, they know how beer nerds like to flip & sell bottles before a release leads to a more likely & humorous approach to throw those people off of their game by announcing fake prototypes of potential BCS variants.

6. Samlover55

Samlover55 Savant (932) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

7. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (109) Jan 27, 2009 Montana

When you double barrel age a beer it just allows it to soak up more barrel flavor. It can only pull so much from each barrel so aging it in two separate barrels makes the wood and bourbon notes more pronounced.

It will be interesting to try the double barrel next to a regular bottle.

8. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (109) Jan 27, 2009 Montana

And also not readily available like Bourbon County. Hard to bring a scarce beer into this conversation.

nc41 likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,837) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Well yea, the Old Hickory has a smaller local footprint, I was assuming that most regions had a similar type competitor. I think Central Waters BA Stout is also more enjoyable the BC, but I obviously can’t get it here. That’s where I was going with that one just didn’t make it clear.

BeardedWalrus and Raj like this.
  10. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (105) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I know this bud, you must not have read the whole thread. My gripe was about the Age Statements of the barrels. Only one year apart of the same bourbon mash recipe didn't seem worthy of a mention without more info from the brewery and yet there it is. Scroll back for other points I made about this if you want to discuss.

FourFingers414 likes this.
  11. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

They had one year of infection lol. gtfo here with the bad record shit.

12. Beer_Stan

Trader

:joy::joy::joy:

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,489) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

One year that made it out the door.

nc41 likes this.
  14. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (6,557) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Much more than can be said for many other breweries producing far less beer. Been over this time and again what's with the broken record stuttering? This was an entirely new, previously undetectable strain.

15. bbtkd

Society Trader

Didn't say it wasn't a new, previously undetectable strain.

16. Highbrow

Trader

i have a question on your repeated broken record comments. every year people say things some of us disagree with on this subject. every year we respond. likewise. every year you (broken record) bitch about us responding.:grin: you don't agree ~ so you respond. see how that works? i don't get that. it screams hypocrisy. if you're suggesting we should ignore what we disagree with, maybe practice what you preach.

also. it seemed to me they claimed the strain was previously believed harmless as opposed to "undetectable".

skiking70 and bbtkd like this.
  17. Sabtos

Society Trader

blah blah blah

really don't care. if you want to rehash all this blah blah blah just re-read this thread and the previous iterations of it. good lord

raynmoon likes this.
  18. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

This site has turned into a war zone. It's no fun anymore. No more fun chat, just arguing and bickering over silly shit. Very childish these days.

19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (620) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Can’t we all go back to bitching about and then buying BCBS?

20. Highbrow

Trader

i hear what you are saying, but that's not the point at all, least not in what i stated. it's not a war zone (for me) - it's a place to exchange thoughts & ideas. when we don't agree, we simply have different conclusions. it boils down to i seriously don't understand how a guy complains about something he's guilty of, in real time, while complaining about it.

we should shut up & ignore things we disagree with. yet you see how fast he blah blah blah responded right? i'm just saying it's time to stop with the do as i say not as i do expectations. besides. nobody is forcing anybody to read or respond.

21. Sabtos

Society Trader

Regurgitating 4 year old complaints is not an exchange of thoughts and ideas, its a cesspool of stale and rotting old news. Don't intertwine noble ideals of what this site should be with the repetitive garbage people keep trying to turn this thread into.

cmukid87 likes this.
  22. Highbrow

Trader

the point is your complaints every year add something new? they aren't repetitive & redundant? you going out of your way to people to stop it is somehow "interesting" & adding to the topic? don't talk about it, be about it. lead by example.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  23. Jason

Jason Founder (8,065) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

A lot less finesse since AB-Inbev took over ... hundreds of brewers in the US have better options IMO.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Trader

I like options. What are your 1 to 100? Go!

25. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (235) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

Oh boy is that gonna irritate the Illinois fanboys:stuck_out_tongue:

stevepat likes this.
  26. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (321) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

This is undeniably true. But how many are better and distribute nationwide? Zero that I can think of, although I’m sure an argument could be made for some other beer based on personal preference. How many better at a cost equivalent to a $16 bomber? Perhaps more than zero but certainly not many. It’s availability and value that keep me returning to BCBS every year, not because it’s the pinnacle of quality anymore.

27. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Lets have it. Hundreds breweries producing better BA stouts? Lets have a list. Hundreds implies more than a hundred. Looking forward to this list.

thesherrybomber and Brent212 like this.
  28. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (223) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

It's just an edgy thing to say to try and seem cooler/more knowledgeable than other people.

Snowcrash000 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  29. Beer_Stan

Trader

That and "better" is subjective. Surely there are hundreds of breweries out of the thousands that exist globally (even domestically) who have, I'm sure, great barrel programs. But who's the authority on taste amongst us? The individual.

Jaycase and Number1Framer like this.
  30. Sabtos

Society Trader

Are there really even "hundreds" of breweries in the US with barrel programs in general?

I would honestly be shocked if there were. I don't think there are as many out there aging beer (especially clean beer) in barrels as we assume...

stevepat and thesherrybomber like this.
  31. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm trying to be objective as possible about this, but I don't know how GI doesn't make the cut. If you go by FOBAB medal winners last year you have around 33 breweries (including a Rock Bottom location). At that point you could say there is 1/3 of the hundred you need, but then you see GI took silver in it for their BCBS Wheatwine. You could go by something like Rate Beers yearly awards and find 30 some breweries, but then you see regular BCBS named in it. If you went by something like sales numbers I would guess that GI moves more barrel aged beers than anyone else.

Sabtos and stevepat like this.
  32. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (708) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Just because I feel like poking the bear...I think Alltech sells more Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale then Goose Island sells BCBS in a 52 week stretch.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  33. Sabtos

Society Trader

Possibly but does it count when they drop a coin sized piece of oak in a giant tank and call it bourbon barrel aged?

Kidding, mostly, but...if I've ever gotten barrel character out of that beer, it was because I was high on something.

GuyFawkes, pjeagles and Samlover55 like this.
  34. HouseofWortship

Trader

That would be impressive, but are you taking into account all the BCBS series, the Cooper Series, the Sister Series, etc. that GI barrel ages?

35. Vitacca

Society Trader

I agree. This whole nonsense started by someone saying GI has the best "barrel aging" program in the business. One can say that Cantillon, Side Project, etc has the best. They didn't say BA stout specific breweries. You can't be the only one who stirs the pot around here.

Sabtos likes this.
  36. Vitacca

Society Trader

Yes. Based on the pure volume that, that Alltech shit sells, I bet it would be a close race. I don't know how many states they distribute to but I'd be curious to see the sales figures.

37. Sabtos

Society Trader

I do know a lot of people that like it. Makes no sense to me. One of the most flavorless sweeter leaning beers I've had.

38. nc41

Trader

The following year didn't they start pasteurizing their batches?

bbtkd likes this.
  39. bbtkd

Society Trader

They reportedly did, though pasteurization only prevents new infection in the bottle or stops the progression if already infected, but it doesn't fix the flavor of beer already infected. As others have said, beating a dead horse, so enjoy the current quality.

#319 bbtkd, Jul 22, 2019 at 1:55 AM
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019 at 2:08 AM
  40. nc41

Trader

Not really on my list as a must buy, I haven’t bought any in over two years.

bbtkd likes this.