Release Goose Island Bourbon County Wheat-Wine for 2018!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BoldCars, Jul 2, 2018.

1. BoldCars

BoldCars Initiate (122) Apr 5, 2018 Maryland

Goose Island Adding Bourbon County Brand Wheatwine Ale to 2018 Bourbon County Lineup
    [​IMG]

https://tenemu.com/news/goose-islan...ale-to-2018-bourbon-county-lineup/07/2018/amp
    According to labels filed with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), Goose Island Beer Co. will be releasing a bottled wheatwine-style ale as part of its famous Bourbon County lineup for the first time in its history.

As the name suggests, Bourbon County Wheatwine is a wheatwine-syle ale that has been aged in bourbon barrels. A 15.3 percent ABV beer with the same name debuted as a draft-only option at the Chicago-based brewery late last year to commemorate the 2017 Festival of Barrel-Aged Beers, but that release was limited to only one keg.

This is the second Bourbon County variant to come to light so far, after labels for this year’s regular Bourbon County Brand Stout were filed with the TTB early last month and all of the labels indicate that both releases will be packaged in 500ml bottles, which Goose Island introduced in 2015 for the Bourbon County Brand family, replacing the 12- and 22-ounce bottles that had been used for years.

[​IMG]

While release details have not been confirmed, all but two of the six bottled BCBS variants last year were available nationwide starting on the day after Thanksgiving, which fell on Nov. 24. The exceptions were Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout, which has always been exclusively available in Chicago since its debut in 2013 and Bourbon County Brand Stout Reserve 2017.

[​IMG]

In addition, all of the Bourbon County Brand Stout releases in 2016 and 2017 were pasteurized using a process called flash pasteurization, which Goose Island began implementing in direct response to the multiple infection issues the brewery encounteredwith 2015’s releases of Bourbon County Stout, Bourbon County Stout Coffee, Bourbon County Stout Proprietor’s and Bourbon County Barleywine.

An email sent to the brewery for additional information was not immediately returned.

2. BoldCars

I am quite excited for this. Would love to get a few of these and a few of the barleywines (if they come out) and do a head2head when released and sometime down the line!

Who else is excited to see what other cool Bourbon County will be coming this year?

AZBeerDude72 and raynmoon like this.
  3. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Zealot (502) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Nice! Hopfully they don’t get rid of barleywine tho...

BoldCars likes this.
  4. BoldCars

Exactly my thought. I would love to do a comparison of flavors and grain

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,379) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Wow this sounds cool. Eager for the next release to try this out.

BoldCars likes this.
  6. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

Nice. I tend to enjoy Wheatwines more than Barleywines, so excited for this

Fox82791 and BoldCars like this.
  7. zid

zid Champion (846) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Just keep in mind that there's nothing (yet) stating that they are the same beers except for the substitution of wheat. They could be two completely different beers in ingredients, process, etc. (Not that you are stating anything differently though)

BoldCars likes this.
  8. zid

Beer Trader

Seeing "English style" on the labels strikes me as the dumbest thing I've seen on a label in a while. An "English style" Wheatwine? Really? :confounded:

LiquidAmber, SFACRKnight and BoldCars like this.
  9. BoldCars

Oh you could be 100% right. For me it's the fact that they are two different grains made into "wines". I'm no expert haha I just want to see if and what the differences are!

zid likes this.
  10. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,498) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

For the same reason there's an "English Barleywine" and an "American Barleywine?" I.e., to indicate to the consumer the type of hops being used?

sharpski and BoldCars like this.
  11. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (579) Dec 12, 2014 California

While may be stupid, it does give me the indication that the wheatwine won't be hopped to death, and that alcohol will be the main thing balancing malt sweetness.

12. zid

Beer Trader

As far as I know, there's no English "wheatwine" tradition. Wheatwines are an American concept. Of course I could be wrong and will look foolish if so. I can make guesses as to why they'd label it as such, but it's ultimately just a foolish designation to me. There are better ways to inform the consumer. If I put Fuggles in a Rauchbier, I'm still not going to call it an English style Rauchbier. That's just me. BTW, Goose calls their Bourbon County barley wine "English style" even though the hops are an American variety.
    I get it, I just don't like it. There's no precedent that there are American wheatwines that are hopped to death and English ones that aren't. Brewer's using the term "English-style" to indicate that any beer isn't very hoppy is a bad move in my opinion.

PaulStoneAnchor and BoldCars like this.
  13. drtth

Be calm Amigo, I was suggesting a possible reason not a justification.

(Also, as we have both pointed out in the past, one of the problems with the current style categorizations is that "they just growed" and were not created on a rational, principled basis. :sunglasses:)

BoldCars likes this.
  14. zid

Beer Trader

Yeah - I know. My post was :slight_smile: and not :rage:, but the internet happens. Cheers.

BoldCars and drtth like this.
  15. drtth

Gotcha.

BTW, as for foolish designations, how about those German brewers back in the day who started making a beer they called a "Pilsener" even though it was not being brewed in Pilsen (and may not have even been using the identical hops bill)... :sunglasses:

BoldCars likes this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,055) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Hopefully besides some great variants they can also make enough to get it distributed everywhere regular BCBS is.

BoldCars likes this.
  17. zid

Beer Trader

Seeing as how "Pilsner" is a German word, was first brewed by a Bavarian, and predates Czechoslovakia... things clearly get very complicated. :wink: I just hope they didn't call it English-style Pilsner. :wink:

BoldCars likes this.
  18. drtth

Yup, all that. Now add in that in German the world Pilsener means "from Pilsen." :sunglasses:

Edit: Hmmm, if those Germans back in the day could have a German-style Pilsener, why couldn't/shouldn't the English have an English-style Pilsener.... Or the French a French-style Pilsener.... Or the South Africans a South African-style Pilsener... etc.

#18 drtth, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    BoldCars and zid like this.
  19. zid

Beer Trader

Rather than bog down the thread further, I'll just say that English brewers brew barley wine in the English tradition, wheat beers in the German tradition, wheat beers in the Belgian tradition... but don't make English-style wheatwines. I know of no such thing.

BoldCars likes this.
  20. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (264) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Only tangentially related but have any other states started seeing another round of Bourbon County coming through? BCBS vintages, coffee, barleywine amd Northwoods have been popping up all over Georgia, both bottles and draft. Not sure if it's part of some promotion or just clearing out unsold inventory.

BoldCars likes this.
  21. drtth

Right. And once upon a time there was no such thing as an American Barleywine. So back then you would have known of no such thing. But as my favorite movie title says, "Things Change." :wink:

BoldCars and zid like this.
  22. BoldCars

Oh ya! One of my biggest disappointments/pissoffs is how little distribution their variants see. I really should not have to go uptown and downtown to try and collect half the variants since I can't even find all in my city. Come on AB, you have the chops to send it everywhere!!

23. BoldCars

nooooooo i haven't but I would love that to be true here in Maryland!!!!

24. bbtkd

Premium Member

We get 0 variants here.

BoldCars likes this.
  25. BoldCars

This year was the first year i ever saw a variant in my life haha. Balked on Northwoods due to the price and finnagled (limit of one each) two coffees and barleywine for MSRP. Hope you guys get a chance this year!

bbtkd likes this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,175) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I love Wheatwines, and perhaps with this tacit approval of the style by the Inbev overlords, more breweries will take on the style.

BoldCars likes this.
  27. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm in for a bottle or two of this.

Saw BCBS for $10 last year. Hope to see this at that or less

Enjoy

BoldCars and dcotom like this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

I've never seen any variants around here, but I think I'd try to hunt this one down.

Even if it is Budweiser.

BoldCars likes this.
  29. rypkr

rypkr Champion (824) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

...what part of the state?

BoldCars likes this.
  30. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Philly burbs

Enjoy

BoldCars likes this.
  31. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,217) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I hope they make a sour version of this. GI has really been knocking it out of the park with their BCBS Sours

tylerstubs likes this.
  32. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (571) May 11, 2016 Illinois

Okay, I'll bite. Outside of what happened in 2015, which BC beers are you referring to? I get that it's a joke, but I really don't see the attraction of these jokes anymore, predominantly because they aren't really that funny. I understand that people were unhappy with the initial response from GI, but people often aren't happy with a particular brewer's response when there are accusations of infection and/or off flavors. Deschutes, Odd Side, Jackie O's, Central Waters, Big Sky (I'm looking at you BA Ivan) etc. to just name a few off the top of my head. We all know there are many others. Hell, 2 of the last 4 Perennial beers I've had (Abraxas 2016 and BA Vermilion) were definitely tart and very off. People don't seem to continue to pile on those places. Well, maybe Odd Side, but that shit can actually be funny and their combative nature about it makes the jokes that much tastier. Why continue to pile on GI for 2015, because of ABI? I'm not trying to be a tool here, just genuinely curious. I love a good joke as much as the next person, but these just aren't funny to me anymore.

Anywho, I can't say I'm thrilled about this style from the perspective of the BCBS line, but in general, their line of BA beers is above average to excellent yo my palate IMO. So I'll be excited to hopefully get, and consume this beer with my friends.

EDIT - regrets opening the can of worms :confused:

33. bbtkd

Premium Member

If you have a Costco nearby, and if they carry beer, check there. Many of them had BCBS for under $9 this past November. Ours had it and I stumbled across it "black Saturday afternoon". It was $8.89 and they had three cases left with no limit. They had a limit until Saturday afternoon. Worth checking out.

34. rypkr

rypkr Champion (824) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately the great commonwealth forbids Costco/Sams to sell alcohol.

bbtkd likes this.
  35. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (301) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

It’s funny that people still make this joke yet take no particular offense to a NEIPA that is littered with floaties that look unattractive and also cause a hop burn in the back of the throat.

36. coquet

coquet Initiate (80) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

BoldCars likes this.
  37. drtth

If the Sams or Costco have the customary Cafe/Food Court they could get a license to serve for on premised consumption and for take out if they chose to do so.

If a WaWa can do it, so could they, if they wanted.

https://www.pennlive.com/food/index.ssf/2017/02/wawa_is_selling_beer_at_one_pa.html

If Giant, Wegman's, Acme and ShopRite can do it, so could they, if they wanted.

38. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (749) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Invinciblejets likes this.
  39. bbtkd

Premium Member

Perhaps they'll have a BCBS variant sampler pack :wink: