Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Goose Island Sofie

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by trh70, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trh70

trh70 Dec 31, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I like this beer a lot. Has any one had experiences aging this one?

thr70

2. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

It ages phenomenally the brett really kicks in and dries it out, which somehow increases the wine barrel flavor. One of my favorite shelf beers to age.

3. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

I only drink it with > 1 year on it, it gets nice and dry; great beer/value.

4. pmoney

pmoney Apr 15, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It's definitely a great one to age.

5. trh70

Beer Trader

cool. i will pick up a case of it.

6. Dupage25

Dupage25 Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

I've had Sofie out to two years with no degradation and lots of deliciousness. She starts getting a little excited around two years though, make sure to have a towel on hand. Not quite Juliet-level, but still. Goose's brett strain definitely starts doing something funny between 18 and 24 months.

Concur about drying out a bit.

7. halo21

halo21 Oct 12, 2004 New York

The current batch available is from 2012. It has changed a bit, even on the shelf. Much drier, with more lemon pop. I am enjoying it from the store much more than when it was fresh; also cellaring a bunch to age up to the 5 years on the bottle.
    2012 was my first time trying this.

8. Dupage25

Dupage25 Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

There's 2013 on the shelves. The larger format 2013 bottles are in a 765ml bottle (you read that right). Still in four packs too but I haven't seen any around here yet.

halo21 likes this.
  9. rc51sport

rc51sport Feb 25, 2013 North Carolina

Where in FL can I find bottles of Sofie? I've only seen it on tap around here.

10. trh70

Beer Trader

total wine in naples has what i have seen on the floor to be about 10 cases.

rc51sport likes this.
  11. rc51sport

Wow Sarasota TW sucks compared to others. Looks like I'll be headed to Ft Meyers Sunday. Website shows they have some (although I know not always up to date), but shows some other stuff I'm interested in anyways. Hope they actually have the Sofie, that would be nice. Naples is a little further than I want to drive for beer.

12. trh70

Beer Trader

tell ya what, I will stop in on Sat. to see if they have any left. I will let ya know. I was in there last sat. and they had several cases.

rc51sport likes this.
  13. rc51sport

Fort myers or Naples?

14. trh70

Beer Trader

the one in naples. its right down the street from me. i have not been to the one in fort myers in over a year. not sure what they have these days.

15. trh70

Beer Trader

Just bought 6 bottles. They have 3.5 cases on the floor.

16. Ljudsignal

Ljudsignal Jul 19, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Admittedly I'm a long way from Florida...but if you don't happen to find it near you, I happen to know that the liquor store where I work has a bunch in the basement still. I'd be happy to send you a couple...it's a pretty great beer, it deserves to be shared! :)

17. rc51sport

I appreciate that a lot. But I think I'll make the hour or so drive south to ft Meyers TW to snag a few later this afternoon. I'm getting low on my beer supply anyways. Only 2 raging bitches(3 if you count my fiance j/k) and a cucumber Saison left.

18. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Mar 3, 2011 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

A year or so ago, GI pulled a batch of Sofie saying it was off. I had a couple bottles and did a side by side with a "real" Sofie with one of them, and cellared the other. I noticed the recalled bottle was dryer and less carbonated and was also more tart. I tried the second bottle a year later and the carbonation seemed to pick up a little while still being dry and more tart than standard Sofie. I almost think I preferred the recalled version over the regular version, and even moreso a year later. I don't know why I'm telling you this, it seemed appropriate somehow.

19. riemster

riemster Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I had the recalled version about a month ago. It was awesome. Definitely better than the normal version.

20. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt May 25, 2005 Nebraska

sofie is completely awesome with 1 yr+ on it.

21. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

doing a 3 yr vert soon. will report findings

22. mocktm

mocktm Jan 3, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I love aging this beer. I have some 2010s that have gotten significantly more tart than when fresh. Delicious..

23. Okisailor

Okisailor Jun 19, 2013 Massachusetts

I have a > 2 year one I expect to open next month...

24. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

The 750 for $7.99 is one of the best bang for bucks out there right now, IMO.

25. eaterfan

eaterfan Jul 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I've had a couple of aged Sofies. One had turned and was one of the worst beers I've had. One was quite delicious. I wouldn't age more than 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe