Got Goat?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Kadonny, May 1, 2013.

1. Kadonny

Kadonny Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Sly Fox bock fest on Sunday, sounds like a beautiful day for it.

Who's going?

northside likes this.
  2. ThoreauLikeAGirl

ThoreauLikeAGirl Mar 11, 2011 Pennsylvania

aye aye, captain.

i'll be there supporting team peggy again.

Centennial and confer like this.
  3. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Went last year, but won't be able to make it this time around.

How many years in succession has Peggy won the race now?

4. cryme

cryme Jun 29, 2011 Delaware

Last year was her 2nd, I believe. My wife and I will be there.

5. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Maybe I'll wear my lovely green "Team Peggy" shirt for Fred Fest this Sunday. :)

ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  6. Kadonny

Beer Trader

2 years in a row, before that it was Dax.

We'll miss you John ;)

7. cryme

If she wins again I wonder how many tickers will be pissed that the maibock's name didn't change...

8. ThoreauLikeAGirl

Peggy's adopted 3 legged brother Simon is also racing this year

9. ThoreauLikeAGirl

John.... Oregon? o_O

10. boblinneman

boblinneman Sep 16, 2002 Pennsylvania

My family will be there as always, ad to see the forecast is nice.

11. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Yep. Since 4/8/13.

However, I'll definitely be around for part of the first weekend of PBW. Just have to figure out the "most worthy" ones to attend. :)

ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  12. Kadonny

Beer Trader

^^^^^ World traveler.

13. BeerIsland

BeerIsland Feb 9, 2003 Pennsylvania

johnmichaelsen part of the first weekend of PBW

Hmmm...have to check the schedule for a meet, eh?

14. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Sounds good! I'll try to bring out a few treats from the PNW to share during the festivities.

Peggy is a fine goat, but I confess I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Dax. That was one fast goat!

15. Sneers

Sneers Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

I want to go to this every year and never can.

16. orangesol

orangesol Dec 6, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I have wanted to go to this for a few years now but it hasn't worked out.
    I refuse to miss it this year. Can't wait to see what all the talk has been about.

17. TomFoley

TomFoley Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Nobody goes anymore, it's too crowded.

northside and pitweasel like this.
  18. cryme

it's not so bad if you get there early enough.

19. imbrue001

imbrue001 Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Seems like it needs to be at an actual track. Like if you dont camp out your spot all day you gotta bring stilts to actually see anything. Also, where is the pricing info? I assume the beer and food isnt free.

20. cryme

pretty much everything is paid for with tickets, which are $5 a piece iirc.

21. pitweasel

pitweasel Jun 11, 2007 New York

Same reason that nobody has a car in NYC - too much traffic.

*cough*

With any luck, I'll make it this year. Been meaning to go every year since moving to PA, and every year, plans fall through and I decide that going solo just isn't an idea I'd like to pursue.

22. ThoreauLikeAGirl

I'll have my spot on the hill as usual. I hope.

23. ForkAndSpoonOp

ForkAndSpoonOp May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Gonna be a beautiful day. I probably should have asked someone sooner than two hours before, but what's their opinion on coolers?

24. callmemickey

callmemickey Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Why would you bring a cooler.... they sell beer there...

25. ForkAndSpoonOp

Vegan-friendly food for the missus. Water that costs less than a billion dollars a pint. Storing the stuff I'm bringing home. Maybe a fancy bottle or two to share.

26. TomFoley

TomFoley Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

They frown upon outside beer. They get a special permit to sell beer in the parking lot.

27. ForkAndSpoonOp

Duly noted. Not trying to get frowned upon.

28. cryme

I'll be around wearing a bright yellow extortion t shirt and hanging with our dog. Can't miss us.

29. pitweasel

Well, that was...interesting.

Plus side: while lines were very long, they did seem to move quickly. People frequently left the race area, so I was able to slowly make my way to a fence spot and catch the goats in action. Goats were cute and awesome.

Down side: running out of everything. Mugs were sold out by the time I got there, and by the time I decided to get some food, guess what else was gone? Had two tickets left that I couldn't find a decent use for, so I figured I'd just get some cans to take back home. Whoops, out of cans!

Seemed woefully unprepared for demand in terms of stock, but at least they kept things moving at a decent pace. Not a negative enough experience to avoid a return visit next year, but it definitely felt like there were some things that could use attention before then.

30. Kadonny

Beer Trader

Well, I got to meet TLaG, it was awesome. Nice chatting with your dad too.

pitweasel, you have to get there earlier. If you would see the amount of glasses they unpacked yesterday morning, you would never believe they would have sold out. Same for the beer and even the cans. Case after case, after case just kept rolling off the truck. I just can't fathom the amount of beer and food they go through, it's truly amazing.

We get there early, like 8 o'clock early, set up our tent and just sit back and relax. Each year we have a blast, this year was no different. The only thing I stopped doing was get in line for the maibock tapping, that's totally not worth all the shoving and cursing for one free beer.

Overall another great day.

31. ThoreauLikeAGirl

holla! maple bacon donut to the dome. thanks haha. nice meeting you, too.
    "she's on these beer forums. tell them your name!" does a good job at making me feel awkward. thanks, dad. haha

also, if anyone hasn't noticed, it's a lot easier to get a beer inside. especially tasty tasty 15% abv eisbocks =X

good times. probably the best weather for the goat races yet. has anyone heard if they ever plan on moving the races elsewhere, ie the new brewery in Pottstown? seems like that would be better in terms of parking and space. and maybe finally get the goats to race on actual grass. I never winced so hard seeing that poor goat dragged down the entire length of the pavement track.

32. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

"The only thing I stopped doing was get in line for the maibock tapping, that's totally not worth all the shoving and cursing for one free beer."

Ain't that the truth. Logistically, I was too far away to get over to the keg last year anyway, and was initially kind of sad about that... until I saw the crowd and all the pushing and shoving, just to get ONE glass of beer.

In terms of Pitweasel's post, if you've never gone before, the size of the crowd is kind of shocking/daunting. I had a fun time when I went last year, but I've kind of come to the conclusion that the way to enjoy the day, is pretty much as Kadonny describes. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic plan for everyone, unless you happen to live in the area or decide to get a hotel nearby. After attending several fests over the years, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a great time for locals in the area, but it's just too much trouble to deal with the traffic and crowds if you have to drive any distance to get to it.

33. Kadonny

Beer Trader

The Bacon donuts rocked the house! Glad you enjoyed them.

I'm not sure the Pottstown location would be any better. Parking there is almost nil and there really is no where for anyone to park in that complex. I think the grass would be better for the goats, but in terms of everything else, I'm not sure. I know Sly Fox has the Can Jam there last year, I wonder how that went and how many people went to that.

It's just a logistic nightmare when you have only a short track and a couple thousand people wanting to watch, you just can't accommodate everyone. Still, it's a freaking blast. It is funny how people are standing in line outside 30 deep and you walk right into the brewpub and get a fresh draft in seconds. PS, the Keller Pils (as usual) and Saphire Pils were both spectacular.

John, we missed you this year, hopefully you get back soon.

34. pitweasel

Sadly, my ride didn't even wake up until the early afternoon - and we're an hour away! I would've gone earlier myself, but such is life. Like I said...overall, I'm glad I went. Just surprised that you could run out of virtually everything well before the event is "over".

35. Ranbot

Ranbot Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

There are no advanced or limited admission sales and most people decide whether or not to go the day before or that morning based on the weather report. It's really difficult for Sly Fox to prepare for turn-out based on weather conditions. Sly Fox could ticket the event, but they seem to want to keep it more informal and let people come and go as they please.

36. pitweasel

True, but I look at it this way: they're a brewpub. Having enough beer on hand should be a given.
    Food? I'd imagine they could stock for higher than expected numbers, and just start selling it off two-for-one if it looks like they're going to have things they have to move.
    Merch (shirts, glasses, etc)? order more than you think you'll need. Sell leftovers at the brewpub in the days/weeks to come.

Alternately: at least offer to buy back unused tickets. I would have gotten more cans from them, had there been any left. Now, with the tickets in the garbage, that's literally money that I've thrown away.

37. ThoreauLikeAGirl

they were completely out of beer inside the pub, too?

38. davide169

davide169 Nov 3, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

39. Kadonny

Beer Trader

They had plenty of draft beer, they just sold out of cans. The can sales were more for those that wanted a "stockpile" for the race, not to buy to take home, they were not stocking shelves with cans, it was a convenience thing.

Food is a touchy thing. If you have too much, it goes to waste, not enough and people bitch. As a businessman, you would always love to sell out of things rather than discount them to get rid of them. Remember, it did start at 11 am, so if you were looking for food at 4 oclock, then sorry you were out of luck. Same goes for the glasses. They probably don't make that much money on a glass, so again sell out rather than pack the things away and try to resell them after the fact. Demand is always highest the day of, not after the fact.

I understand your frustrations, but I also understand where they are coming from. If you provide beer and food until all hours of the night, people will stay until all hours of the night. I'm sure that's not what Sly Fox or the Township is interested in.

RC51Mike likes this.
  40. ThoreauLikeAGirl

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe