Gots Grayed Out / Max Reached

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by devoured_by_vermin, Jan 8, 2018.

1. devoured_by_vermin

devoured_by_vermin Devotee (415) Mar 3, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Sometime within the last 4-5 days I noticed that the "Got it" checkbox is greyed out everywhere, and thus not usable. Got it boxes that I have checked in the past remain checked, but I'm unable to check any new ones.

I'm using the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome on 2 computers, one at home and one at work.

I initially assumed that this was something that would be affecting all users, but it's been going on for several days now and I don't see it mentioned in its own thread or as part of another one.

Thanks.

2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,655) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

You've reached the Gots max, which is currently set at 2,500.

3. devoured_by_vermin

devoured_by_vermin Devotee (415) Mar 3, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Thanks Todd. I never knew there was a cap!

4. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (328) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Congratulations! Now you should drink some of those beers.

5. seakayak

seakayak Defender (652) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

TL;DR: Why are Gots capped at 500 beers? Does anyone else do what I do (see below)?

For many years I've adapted to a slight shortcoming of the BA database by checking all of my beers as "Gots" (not for trade), as well as by rating them. This way, I have the ability to see and sort both my scores, plus the overall BA rAvg scores for all of my beers. I do this because the BA rAvg scores do not appear on the same page as my scores for direct comparison and sorting.

When I used to go to Gots, I was able to Sort By the BA rAvg scores, which if you ever wanted to easily see what the masses thought of beers you've had, was a very valuable metric. However, now that I've reached 500, I just noticed that the "Got It" button next to the "Want It" button on a new beer is "grayed out" so that I cannot click it. When I looked at my Gots list, I saw for the first time, the following message at the top: "Gots max (500) reached. If you wish to add certain beers you'll need to remove some existing ones."

Just like all of you, my scores do not match the BA rAvg scores. My scores tell me what I like; but if you want to see what the masses like among beers you've had (say to buy something for a gathering of other people, for example), then I could Sort By BA rAvg, and search out what was well-rated, and decide what to buy.

My questions are, then:
    -Is this a new change to the BA database functionality, or were Gots always set at 500 max?
    -Why are the Gots capped at 500 beers?
    -Does anyone else use the "Gots" button to track BA rAvg scores, the way I do?
    -And finally (although not really a request, but a "wish-list" item): Will BA rAvg scores ever appear on the same page alongside our own scores, for comparison and sorting?

p.s. It's an amazing time we live in, where we can have such sophisticated research capabilities about beer. Respect Beer!

tmac, Harrison8 and FBarber like this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,127) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

For someone this into data management and sorting, I'd think it would be easier to create a spreadsheet for yourself with all the data you're looking at, and just add your new beers to it as you go, instead of going about this odd way of using the database here. You can then add more criteria as time goes by as well.

Or, as you suggest, as far as a site enhancement, we could always use more datapoints on our Beers list, if feasible. I've always wanted to be able to sort by State, as well as see more data on the Top beers list.

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,556) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Very interesting. I've never once thought about using the "gots" feature for data gathering.

Just the other day a forum member was complaining about maxing out his wants list, which was set to 2,500. How many sit and page through 2,500 beers to determine if a trade is feasible? A copy & paste list would work better, or even a Google Document that the other trader could ctrl+f to search out certain breweries, styles, etc. Perhaps this post (which Todd replied to saying he was wondering why it was even set so high) meant they lowered the limit for personal lists..?

I can see why BA would cap "gots" or any other personal metric at a lower count. This site isn't designed for personal data extraction. It's a resource for consumers to learn about beer, which includes beer reviews/ratings. While I would love to see more data metrics being tracked individually (sorting via state, rAvg, style, etc. would be insanely nice), it's not the intended goal of this site.

FBarber, beertunes and seakayak like this.
  8. seakayak

Society

If anyone is confused about what I'm talking about, you could click into my Beers and look at my Gots, then sort by rAvg. Pretty cool, huh?

Harrison8 likes this.
  9. scream

scream Meyvn (1,108) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

@seakayak your profile shows your gots at 505 now

seakayak and FBarber like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,242) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Sure, but that's not what the Gots list is really for. It's for letting people know what beer you have, or can get, for trading purposes. For the purpose you're using it for, a personal spreadsheet is probably a better tool.

Dragginballs76, Harrison8 and Sabtos like this.
  11. seakayak

Society

Yes, apparently my 506th was the final straw, but the message said the max was 500.

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,556) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Perhaps they lowered the max limit on 'gots', 'for trade', and 'wants'?

@Todd

seakayak likes this.
  13. Todd

Gots had a max of 2,500, which was ridiculously high. It was recently dropped to 500, which is still quite high.

I highly doubt most people have more than 500 individual beers in their cellar or fridge (or to trade), let alone up to 2,500. Hell, even most stores don't carry that kind of a selection.

And it seems that many were using Gots to track the beers that they've tried (or other), which is not what Gots is for. You should be rating and reviewing the beers that you've tried.

14. rgordon

rgordon Savant (968) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I appreciate the devotion to avocation shown by so many. It occurs to me why I never became a CPA or accountant, mainly because this parcing seems to me like re-defining what the definition of is is or discovering that truth is not truth, but alternative facts. But it is interesting.

15. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,761) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Users will find a way to meet their needs as bastardize a system before asking for a feature. That said, based on other requests for data-geeked functions, I doubt it would be made available soon.

Fairly ingenious workaround, but I just don’t see it being an often enough used function. Either way, cheers, OP!

Sabtos, FBarber and seakayak like this.
  16. seakayak

Society

Just to clarify - I was not using Gots to track the beers I've had - I was rating my beers just like we're supposed to (11 years here, not a noob). But, I was also clicking each beer I rated as a "Got" so that I could also sort my beers by BA rAvg score. I'm surprised that others haven't even considered seeing these two scores side-by-side.

FBarber likes this.
  17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,858) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I just rely on the percentage deviation number - never really thought about having the specific scores on each next to each other.

I use gots to track several things including beers I've got and beers I've had, but haven't entered a review on the site. It does the job.

18. Junior

Junior Defender (618) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

No offense to the community, but once I have tried and rated (reviewed) a beer I don't really care how the community rated the beer.

19. Todd

I got that from your post, but it's still not how Gots should be used.
    I'm surprised that no one has ever requested it, because it was a simple update to make. We were already pulling your rating to calculate the rDev, so adding it took a few minutes.

Columns are similar to brewery beer lists; Score and Yours when you're viewing your own list; Score and Rating when viewing another user's list.

It's been added to Places, too.

Enjoy.

Scrapss, jvgoor3786, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  20. FBarber

Society Trader

Looks good!

Todd likes this.
  21. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,761) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Doesn't your rDev sort of work towards this end?

Wait, what? :dizzy_face:

Todd and FBarber like this.
  22. seakayak

Society

@Todd - well I'll be damned, that's the single most awesome response I've ever seen on BA. Thank you! Enjoy this new feature folks - I surely will.

jvgoor3786, Todd, Junior and 2 others like this.
  23. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,127) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Holy shit, you updated it already, nice!

FBarber, Todd and Junior like this.
  24. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz Champion (821) Dec 20, 2011 California

I hate to say it @Todd, but I really do have over 800 beers in my cellar. Probably more like 1,200 bottles with duplicates. I'd love to have the total increased back up (1,000 maybe) but it is your decision in the end.

25. PhreddieH

PhreddieH Initiate (29) May 24, 2011 Massachusetts

Mine is grayed out too....but nowhere close to 2,500 gots (910)

26. PhreddieH

PhreddieH Initiate (29) May 24, 2011 Massachusetts

I see max is now 500.....ok

27. krepsley

krepsley Initiate (29) Mar 22, 2011 New York

Just a quick chime in here: I used Gots religiously to track beer that I've had. I don't do much reviewing as I see myself as more of an observer than a judge. I understand that's a big part of the website (reviews), but I used the feature to see what I've had from where.

So now I haven't used the site on a regular basis in months, and when I recently visited again to do some updating, I realized why. As I can no longer track my beers through Gots and have had to find a different vehicle to do so.

Just seems to be an arbitrary cap with not much purpose other than forcing reviews from people who might not want to review. Why not 100? Or 1,000 or 10,000? Doesn't make sense to me and is pushing me to different beer sites. Anyway- just one guys long complaint.

tmac and devoured_by_vermin like this.
  28. FBarber

Society Trader

You can rate the beers without writing a review. Not sure if you read through the thread, but the cap used to be 2,500 and it was reduced to 500. Doesn't seem like they're going to change it since the "gots" function isn't meant to track beers you've had - thats what the rating/reviewing function is for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

beertunes and drunkenmess like this.
  29. SirLeaflock

SirLeaflock Initiate (17) Jul 27, 2018 Wisconsin

I haven't tested anything yet either. I might start to contribute, but I'm bad at detailed observation of food and beverage. Something to work on, but my palate is pretty skewed compared to most people. For example, food frequently doesn't register as remotely spicy to me unless it's got fresh jalepenos or hotter. I know, for example, that the Potosi Pils I had on draft was awful and 6+ month old Konig Pilsener and Bitburger in cans are pretty great, but I don't feel like putting that into numbers would help anybody much.

30. tmac

tmac Initiate (124) Oct 21, 2005 New Hampshire

My story exactly. Very disappointing that BA is so inflexible and did not come up with a creative and user friendly solution such as adding another category to track beers you've tried. I was a regular BA user and have now switched to the other app that will remain unnamed. I'll check in every 6 months to see if BA improves but I'm not hopeful.

31. beertunes

Trader

Just use the ratings to track your hads. Other users can filter them out from the reviews, and, you've got your list. Pretty damn simple, really.

Raime, mudbug, PapaGoose03 and 5 others like this.
  32. lester619

lester619 Devotee (464) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Yeah. Tell them start their own beer website if they don't like.

33. tmac

I guess I just don't understand the stubbornness.

We don't all use the site the same way. I don't have a lot of time to devote to ratings and my pattern is to keep a list (or empty cans stacked neatly in the basement) then enter them all at once. Trust me, you and the brewers don't want me rating beer based on 3 month old memories.

My point is that BA should be willing and able to make simple changes that will expand the utility of the site to a broader user base and increase loyalty.

KRug, errantnight and denver10 like this.
  34. beertunes

Trader

Use it like I use UT then: I give everything a 4 on UT, unless it's really great or really terrible. UT gets all the small pours I try at bottle shares, BA gets the full pours and reviews. Not sure why you're being stubborn in refusing to use a feature, that fits your needs, that already exists on the site.

Roguer, PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  35. lester619

lester619 Devotee (464) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I hate to have to tell you this, but no one really cares how old the beer is that you are reviewing.

#35 lester619, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    beertunes likes this.
  36. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,978) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I get your point, but there is an "on the other hand." Given that the basic goal for this site is to have a consumer-oriented web site that collects ratings and reviews of flavorful beers for the benefit of all users in general, exactly what contribution are you making towards that goal?

Roguer, FBarber and beertunes like this.
  37. tmac

I agree with you, I'm not always contributing to the site but had been reviewing quite a few locations and I occasionally reviewed stellar beers.

My point is that BA should be encouraging a wide user base and not everyone is or really should be active contributors.

38. tmac

It's not the age of the beer - it's the DIPA altered memory.

meefmoff, Roguer, lester619 and 2 others like this.
  39. tmac

I see your point, I just can't pollute BA with reviews I don't feel confident about.

Looks like it's back to the Excel spreadsheet circa 1988.

40. beertunes

Trader

You don't have to do reviews. Just use the "ratings" (roughly equivalent to UT). A quick click, and, boom goes the dynamite! Easy peasy.

PapaGoose03, FBarber and drtth like this.