Grain Mill

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JamieDuncan, Aug 6, 2020.

1. JamieDuncan

JamieDuncan Meyvn (1,435) Aug 9, 2013 Maryland

Okay, finally ready to purchase a grain mill. Recommendations?

2. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (381) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

JamieDuncan likes this.
  3. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Victoria, very old style mill. I think I'm the last Brewer here to use one. Dirt cheap, mills grain good enough for me and is adjustable.

But if you are a Brewer who really wants to fine tune all aspects of your brew day, don't buy it.

4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,910) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I use one of these too. I have had it for ~5 years. I haven't tried any other, so won't tell you it's the best one out there. It does seem to be among the more economical options, and I haven't had a complaint since I got it, probably about 60-75 batches with it under my belt.

JamieDuncan likes this.
  5. skleice

skleice Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

I use the Monster MM2 and it's great, but there are cheaper options that will do the job.

6. riptorn

Society Trader

Just found this info. I’m not familiar with the items or the seller (Vevor) and can’t vouch for the quality or dependability of either. Both have 11 lb. hoppers. Shipping is free and the prices are attractive. Might be one of those “too good to be true” situations
    $89 for a 3-roller mill
    $159 for a motorized 2-roller mill

pweis909 and JamieDuncan like this.
  7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Vote for cereal killer here

JamieDuncan likes this.
  8. JamieDuncan

JamieDuncan Meyvn (1,435) Aug 9, 2013 Maryland

You know, I have one of those I think. I will try that while I decide what route to go long term.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  9. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (116) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

I just bought a cereal killer from Austin Homebrew. Same deal and price as AIH. Cranked a few by hand and finally tried it with a drill and will now throw away the handle as the drill made it so much easier. But it made a freaking dustbowl mess. Put a cloth over the opening to avoid that.

One reason I bought my own grain mill is so that I could do malt conditioning and I will tell you the extra minute it takes to wet the malt with a spray bottle before milling has led to the best crush possible.

https://beerandbrewing.com/malt-conditioning-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too/

https://onbrewing.com/malt-conditioning/

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  10. riptorn

Society Trader

I used a tired old Black & Decker variable speed drill on mine for the first time last Sunday. It was a challenge to get the motor to turn without spinning it up too fast and creating excessive dust/flour. At low rpm it would grind and give off a whiff of ozone followed by a wisp of smoke. Lucky for me it finished the task.

There’s a flat spot on the roller shaft for receiving the handle setscrew. There aren’t flats on the roller shaft for receiving a drill chuck. For that reason I’ll probably hang on to the handle in case the shaft wears to a point that the chuck won’t grab it properly.

@Witherby thanks for the malt conditioning links.

GormBrewhouse, MrOH and Witherby like this.
  11. Witherby

Trader

There are plenty of other links out there, but some of them call for crazy steaming methods that just aren't necessary for 10-15 pounds of grain that can easily be misted by hand. And it doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference, but it does. My friend described it as making the husk pliable so that when it hits the rollers it is squeezing/shooting the grain out of the intact husk and then crushing the grain and then the husk just slips through the gap intact and that is what it looks like when you are done. I made a witbier with 50% wheat malt and 50% barley and no rice hulls and no stuck mash.

GormBrewhouse and MrOH like this.
  12. GormBrewhouse

Same or better Brewhouse efficency?

13. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I’ve used my cereal killer 2-4 times a month for the past 2-3 years and the fact that it’s a budget roller or only 2 rollers has never gotten in my way. I’ve milled close to 800pds of grain with no issue.

pweis909 and Witherby like this.
  14. Witherby

Trader

Same or only slightly better, I think. Of all the things on my list of worries, efficiency is at the bottom of my list, though, so I can't say I've tried to calculate it too precisely.

GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  15. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Disciple (303) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

cereal killer since 2015
    crush 150# / yr

thin plywood base with fragile legs
    overall a good value

16. riptorn

Society Trader

My CK has a plywood base as well, but I wouldn't call it thin. I think the base on the current model is metal.

17. beershrine

beershrine Aspirant (244) May 29, 2004 California

You don't need to spend a lot to crush grain. I've been using $25 corona mill on a cordless screw gun mounted to plywood for 15 years. It works just fine.

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  18. GormBrewhouse