Great Lakes The Wright Pils

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sefus12, Jun 21, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just gotta give some love to Great Lakes for The Wright Pils. I know Czech Pils isn't an incredibly popular style in the craft beer world, but there are fewer simple pleasures than a well made Czech Pils and this is one of the best ones made on this side of the pond. Clean, crisp, and full of noble hop flavor, this is a beer I'll be drinking a lot of this summer. Big ol' cheers to Great Lakes for this well-made interpretation of the classic style.

2. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

I enjoy The Wright Pils, actually have a 6 pack in my fridge right now. While I don't Drink them enough, I really like a good pilsner and this is one I pick up often. I also like like the label.

chuckstout likes this.
  3. chuckstout

chuckstout Crusader (419) May 22, 2006 Ohio

It is going for 7.99 a six (other Great Lakes brews also) here in Cleveland at the moment, what a deal!

YogiBeer likes this.
  4. kcbaby

kcbaby Zealot (571) Jun 30, 2010 Massachusetts

Every time I have a sweet/boozy/enamel-melting stout or barleywine I immediately run back to beers like The Wright Pils. Or any GL lager - it is true that there is delicate mastery involved in brewing a good one.

5. dungledauf

dungledauf Crusader (436) Nov 8, 2005 Pennsylvania

Waiting patiently in Pittsburgh for this one.

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Great Lakes is one of my favorites. They do so many really great beers and the pils is top notch.

chuckstout likes this.
  7. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I hadn't had this before this year and I'm incredibly impressed. Now I like pilsners to begin with, but really, this one has all the characteristics that I look for in a Czech pils. Like the OP said..."clean, crisp, and full of noble hop flavor."

I wonder if this is what most pilsners in the US tasted like before or shortly after prohibition.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

“ ….pilsners in the US tasted before or shortly after prohibition” What you are talking about there is a Classic American Pilsner (CAP). A very tasty beer that is not commonly brewed by commercial breweries; I homebrew them.

You can read more about CAP beers here:http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue3.5/renner.html

You can also download another article on CAP beers from the AHA website: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/zymurgy/free-downloads

Cheers!

9. Brenden

Brenden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,412) Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I didn't realize there had been a previous widespread American version / interpretation of the style. Typically, if someone were to say "classic American Pilsner," one would simply assume an American brewery creating a German or Czech pils, not a distinctly separate take on it. I like posts like this that are legitimately informative.

10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

More information.
    http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.1/jankowski.html

CAPs were how German immigrant brewers made a clear lager using the North Am. 6-row malt with 20% corn to reduce the nitrogen levels. Cluster hops were used for bittering, and European (Hallertau Mittlefrueh or Saaz) hops for finishing. They are fine beers, too bad there are not too many commercial examples.

11. DeutschesBier

DeutschesBier Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2009 Maryland

Great Lakes rarely has a miss. I love Wright Pils. I wish I had that and the Dortmunder on tap all Summer long.

Alas...I live in Maryland....

12. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

It will taste really good after a lousy, long hot summer work day. (and I do mean today)

keithmurray and dagmer like this.
  13. craigo19

craigo19 Zealot (673) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan

It is a damn good beer, I have never had anything bad from Great Lakes. I will get a couple of sixers for the weekend.

chuckstout likes this.
  14. outoffocus

outoffocus Maven (1,255) Nov 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

I
    I bought some at Carson St Deli yesterday

dungledauf likes this.
  15. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yea, I'll definitely be picking up another sixer or two of this soon. Great Lakes does make a ton of great beers and this is one I wish were year round.

craigo19 likes this.
  16. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Are there any available commercial examples of the style that you can suggest? I would love to try a beer made in this style.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The only bottled version of a CAP that I am aware of is Champagne Velvet (which is now brewed by Upland Brewing in Indiana). Below is a short story about this beer:

“Champagne Velvet was a beer brewed in Terre Haute Indiana before and after the prohibition until the late 1950s. The brewery was shut down after it was purchased by another company. It was resurrected by the "Terre Haute Brewing Company and Tap Room" in the early 2000s using a hand written recipe from the early 1900s. CV stopped being available in Terre Haute in the mid 2000s, but it now appears that Upland purchased the brand and recipe.”

The reviews of this present day Champagne Velvet are not stellar.

Another craft brewed CAP is Craftsman 1903 brewed by Craftsman Brewing in California. It is my understanding that this is a draft product only available locally. The reviews of this beer makes it sound like this is a very good beer.

I read in a beer newspaper that Round Guys (a small brewery in Lansdale, PA) will be brewing a CAP for the National Homebrewers Conference which will be occurring next week in Philadelphia.

The only ‘real’ CAP that I have drunk is my homebrewed CAP beers.

Cheers!

18. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

The only ones in this area are Brewpub or Taproom beers.

19. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

this, Nosferatu,Christmas ale and Holy Moses are great

20. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio

Just wait until you try GLBC Silver and Gold, which they started selling in the gift shop today. An imperial pils to celebrate 25 years of craft brewing in Ohio (the oldest craft brewery in the state)....(cough cough...want some?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.