Green Cheek (2019)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by pinballplayer, Mar 9, 2019.

1. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Zealot (546) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Society Trader

Can't believe it's March and there's no Green Cheek thread. Anyway, was hoping to swing by today and casually pick up that Other Half collaboration stout but I guess not! The line is huge.

2. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (456) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

I got stuck at work so didn't make it. My buddies that did go said if you arrived after 11 you probably won't get bottles!! I recall going to cheek and being surprised when they had 10 people in line.. :slight_frown:

3. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (533) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

I rolled in at 9:30am today and were already 40 in line. This pastry is supposed to be unreal ... looking forward to it.

4. Beers4Bringas

Beers4Bringas Initiate (42) Oct 28, 2013 California
    Trader

Would you trade for Speaking Gently?

5. AlexM

Trader

I would’ve but they are all spoken for ... love me some Homage sours!

6. Beers4Bringas

Beers4Bringas Initiate (42) Oct 28, 2013 California
    Trader

No worries man! Enjoy

AlexM likes this.
  7. AdamofSoCal

AdamofSoCal Initiate (94) Dec 25, 2017 California

They had too many pp and not enough bottles. glad i hit up bottle logic instead.

8. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (162) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

Crack open a can, super curious to see if they hit a home run with OH's help

9. AlexM

Trader

I did both ... started at GC and then hit BL ... very easy

10. AdamofSoCal

Heard it's green, going to wait.

easy if you waited in line for hours*. No thanks. Hopefully they learn from this.

AlexM likes this.
  11. AlexM

Trader

The way I look at it is I waited 2.5 hours for BOTH the GC/OH release AND the BL/OH release, so really not too bad ... plus I’m a sucker for OH, so it was an easy personal decision for me :slight_smile:

HopHead89 and AdamofSoCal like this.
  12. AdamofSoCal

I hope it's good at least.

AlexM likes this.
  13. Izzy_Izumi

Izzy_Izumi Initiate (132) Aug 3, 2017 California
    Trader

Wow, no posts for a while. Made the trip out there this Saturday after being in Tramway for the day. If anyone hasn't yet gotten any, their Oak-lagered Helles is tasty as all get out. The all-Citra triple IPA was a little too tart sweet for me, but the girlfriend loved it.

Scottie_A25 and Fippy_Darkpaw like this.
  14. Fippy_Darkpaw

Fippy_Darkpaw Aspirant (214) Sep 14, 2010 California
    Trader

Preach! Love that oak aged helles and kolsch. Picked up a case of the Bier last weekend and wish I had picked up more. Green Cheek is killing the lager game and their IPAs are no slouch either.

15. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

My only issue with them right now is pricing. Their west coast IPA offerings were $1 more than the canned lagers. I understand that lagering takes more time and supervision, but man...I was ready to buy a tonne of bier, but then saw the price tag. (and I have lots of MT's Italian Pils on the way).

Saw a welcoming (and mustachio'd) face in Eric-formerly-of-Monkish there too, slinging suds! It was a welcome sight.

cquiroga likes this.
  16. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (904) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

I don't go terribly often (only when in the OC for BL pickups) but I've always heard GC's prices were lower than most. Not anymore?

17. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (65) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

Can’t beat the $6 flights either.

However, I screwed up and left my last can of Dads in Plaid in the fridge for 2 months. It was heavily oxidized and looked like Butter Beer. That’s my fault though as their cans fresh have been great.

18. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

The lager price seemed fine until I saw the other price point. But that IS a west coast IPA rather than a hazy thing. Also, it's roughly in line with Monkish and MT releases. But the $1 difference between either four pack ($16 for the Bier and $17 for the West Coast IPA) is...telling. So I walked out with IPAs.

Again, I probably WOULD have walked out with Bier but since I have MT's Olocchio Malochio coming in soon, I hedged on the IPAs.

19. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (825) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

It’s been several months since my last visit to GC but last time there the pricing for pours were below average. The only other place I’ve seen cheaper is up at Revision tasting room. I know the crowlers to go increased by a buck. But I just paid $13 and $12 at RiiP yesterday. So no complaints there. I think GC’s growler refills are still $15 compared to RiiP at $23-24. Even better deal.

20. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (555) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Trader

I need to get out to Cheeks more

J-loco, Izzy_Izumi and Fippy_Darkpaw like this.
  21. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

I was curious about this as well since a case of GC Bier came out to just under $100. Felt a little high but no regrets.

Bier vs Abaddon purchasing Options:

Green Cheek Bier = $16 x4 pack of 16oz
    Modern Times Abaddon = $3.50 for 1x 19.2oz

Price Per Oz:
    GC Bier = $0.25 oz
    MT Abaddon = $0.18 oz

Love'em both, edge on price and taste (imo) goes to MT. I'm just happy to see a huge upswing in great lagers across my favorite breweries. Bruery, GC, MT, HPB, Smog City, and many others. Nothing touches Yorkshire for me though, lager ramble over

22. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (40) Oct 5, 2012 California

I've always loved GC lager/euro style beers. Glad to see everyone else is enjoying them too. Makes me want to take a trip back out now and try the helles.

Been meaning to go to Yorkshire, now I'll have to try their offerings to compare

Fippy_Darkpaw and Izzy_Izumi like this.
  23. Izzy_Izumi

Trader

Does Yorkshire cask them too? Or is it properly cold?

24. Fippy_Darkpaw

Trader

80% are cask ales served at the proper temperature, don't ask me what that is but it's warmer than your average beer. Early doors and yellow school bus are my favorites but they're all excellent. Well most, not a huge fan of their new ipa.

Now that we're talking cask I've seen GC pour a few at recent festivals, namely the kolsch

25. pinballplayer

Society Trader

Glad to see another WCIPA can release today but would really love to see the pricing drop a few bucks to be more in line with Beachwood. $16 per 4-pack is a bit rich IMO.

In their defense it doesn't seem to be affecting sales much. While they may not sell out in a few days they do eventually sell through.

Yabu likes this.
  26. antsmarching777

antsmarching777 Initiate (20) Apr 14, 2009 California

Anyone else think Green Cheek’s 2nd, 1st anniversary is a little bit of trolling Noble for their “10th” anniversary last year?

27. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (904) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society

I just assumed it was the 2nd session from last yasr's event. Most planners only leave an hour or two between sessions. Evan likes to do things different.

28. AlexM

Trader

ABSOLUTELY

Frosty11161 likes this.
  29. Space_Cowboy85

Space_Cowboy85 Initiate (40) Dec 24, 2018 California

Please, how dare you even suggest a thing. Evan is the classiest guy in the industry...

30. HopHead89

Trader

I wonder if this is worth a pick-up. I know evan is known for his haze when he was at noble and now at GC but whatta about his sours!?

31. 562Brew

562Brew Initiate (65) Mar 5, 2018 California
    Trader

At first I thought it was a new release, but since it says B1, I'm guessing its the same batch as whats been on tap in the tasting room

HopHead89 likes this.
  32. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (172) Feb 1, 2018 California

Evan was for sure not known for his haze whne he was at noble. Evan made his name by brewing amazing west coast IPA.

33. HopHead89

Trader

:expressionless:

310gts and taylordane like this.
  34. IcyTrout

IcyTrout Initiate (172) Feb 1, 2018 California

Get mad hazeboi :stuck_out_tongue:

310gts and HopHead89 like this.
  35. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (825) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

No haze for @HopHead89, no care. It's haze or go home for the HopH. :wink:

36. pinballplayer

Society Trader

Radiant Beauty took silver today. Such a great beer. Congrats Green Cheek!

Scottie_A25, walterfarris and LGHT like this.
  37. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,081) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

Not a bad beer, but overall BA has it at 87/100. I gave it 4/5. But I guess dem folks at GABF tasted something the masses haven’t.

38. AndyBrewsBeer

AndyBrewsBeer Initiate (89) May 6, 2015 California
    Trader

They also received a gold for Australian for Pale (Australian-Style Pale Ale)!!!

pinballplayer likes this.
  39. pinballplayer

Society Trader

Given your fondness for the OG Shower series Evan was making at Noble I'm surprised. For me, Radiant Beauty is right in that same vein.

40. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,081) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

OG Showers... RIP

BeerBaron666 and FrogOut69 like this.