Grimm Artisanal Ales (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by frozyn, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Comparison_Ford

Comparison_Ford Disciple (373) Apr 4, 2014 New York
    Trader

If 1st Anniversary IPA is as good as Zero was, count me in.

Wouldn’t be upset if they did another run of Lambo either.

2. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,197) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Maybe this will be the magical Lambo, Tesseract, Afterimage release. *Boom*

RobNewton, Brian_Lynch, Jlabs and 3 others like this.
  3. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

Yeah definitely interested in going to this

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  4. SpinSamzo

SpinSamzo Aspirant (262) Mar 11, 2017 New York
    Trader

RobNewton and afroskully like this.
  5. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (295) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

between grimm anny and nyc pride someone pray for me that weekend please and thanks

Munchrat, SpinSamzo and RobNewton like this.
  6. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

sheesh. a 16oz can of Energy Vibration (5%) is $7 at my store. guess we've finally hit the point where buying a can is as expensive as buying on draft. a 8-9% DIPA I can understand, but man, didn't know 5% IPAs were getting this steep.

7. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Aspirant (225) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Not entirely unrelated but, I paid $6.99 for a can of Hyperfocus Simcoe and have no complaints after drinking...it was fantastic.

uptown_thunder and RobNewton like this.
  8. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (318) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Picked up a can of Energy Vibration and Magnetic Cloud for $6.50 each at Three's last night. It's pricey but sometimes I'd rather pay a little more for a single can over a 4-pack.

Also Grimm's distribution is great, cans released last weekend hit shops midweek. Wish Finback would follow suit.

afroskully, guinness77 and RobNewton like this.
  9. guinness77

I have to admit, being able to pick up a couple of Tesseract cans on LI (lol, I had my dad who knows nothing about beer mule me a few cans because they live less than 10 minutes from the shop) was beautiful. I don’t mind the $1 or $2 uptick because I’d rather get it, and I think that price is reasonable, than not get it at all. Thank you @Grimm_Artisanal_Ales

10. afroskully

afroskully Aspirant (250) Aug 24, 2016 New York
    Trader

Also currently drinking a Magnetic Cloud at the Threes 6.50 price point, and happy. I’ll pay the extra 1.50 to not have to drive to Williamsburg.

11. jma1979

jma1979 Initiate (24) Mar 21, 2018 New York

I’ll echo that. Being a Hudson Valley resident, I don’t mind the upcharge at all if it saves me 4 hrs in the car and the RFK toll. And we usually end up seeing most cans again these days after the slight dip with the VA to BK transition.

12. Mineo

I’ll usually opt for cans from breweries that are just as far away and of similar quality for $2 less per can, but if Grimm is on tap - which a pint is for the same price as their cans these days - I’ll consider it.

Don’t see their beer substantially better than Finback, Barrier, IA, etc to justify 25-40% more per can than these breweries. Grimm is in a different ballpark price-wise but I dont see their beers being in a different ballpark.

I don’t really get the “well, it beats driving,” response to high prices when that applies to every single beer from every single brewery in the store. Like, yeah — beer at a beer store is priced higher than at the brewery, and I wouldn’t expect otherwise. But I don’t see how that impacts price relative to similar competition, and how the gap between cans to go and draft pricing went from somewhat substantial to non-existent.

A $28 4-pack for a basic 5% IPA is just something I have never seen from any brewery, even for 8% DIPAs. A 5% IPA with that price point seems head scratching. But I guess people buy it. At my store the price makes it sit.

#252 Mineo, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  13. guinness77

My free time is pretty fucking limited. I have 2 kids and 2 jobs. I’m 42. When I was single with no kids, my only options, brewery-wise, were Brooklyn, Sixpoint (and there was no real brewery there) and Blue Point.

It must be nice to be young(ish), with disposable income and time on your hands. All I had was Guinness and Irish whiskey and beer bars that were a half-hour from my house that maybe had Dogfish 90min on tap.

Padraig, RobNewton and uptown_thunder like this.
  14. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (150) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Cans are still $5-6 range upstate (in exact range with Finback, Singlecut and Interboro, a touch more expensive than Barrier), which I will more than happily pay given that I thought we'd never see cans again up here after the brewery opened.

RobNewton and guinness77 like this.
  15. guinness77

Exactly. I’m more in the $6/7 range, which is fine. I’ll pay that for the DIPAs no problem. Considering Grimm is a good 3-hour trip on a good day (even though I live about 30 miles away) and most days they don’t open until 5, and weekends are not really an option for me, I’ll take 3 cans for about $20. As I said yesterday, I’m happy they’re distroing anything, especially since I’m not a sour, wild, Berliner fan and those beers are not an option for me.

16. NewmansOwn

Show me a beer bar in NYC where I can buy a pint of Grimm (or any local brewery) for $6.50 and I'll stop buying cans at that price.

17. Mineo

Pints of Grimm at the bar are generally $8-9 where I'm at (lower Hudson Valley). Is that cheap for it? Cans I see for $7-8. Never lower. I mean, if the NYC places are charging $10-13 for a pint, then I could see how cans in comparison at $7-8 would seem preferable, and more in line with the conventional can/draft price gap, but a beer being only $1 more expensive on draft than it is in a can at a beer store is a unique phenomenon, to me at least.

Was just curious regarding the lack of much gap between can and draft pricing, since I don't see this level of comparability between cans and draft price for any other brewery. Finback/Barrier/IA has like $4-5 cans here and on tap their beers are $8-9 as well. It seems unique to Grimm, so was curious if their operations or canning operations are unique in some way relative to their NYC peers.

18. Tallerboy

Tallerboy Initiate (93) Jun 17, 2017 New York

I don't think I have ever had pint pour of Grimm, always 8-12oz pours and $8 a pop in Brooklyn.

KingforaDay and RobNewton like this.
  19. Mineo

DIPAs/TIPAs from Grimm I only see in 8-12oz at bars, and I have no issue at all paying $7-8 for a pint can of a Grimm DIPA/TIPA or sour can at the store (and often do). It's the single IPAs (or in this case, pale ale) that have the same price as these DIPAs/TIPAs despite half the ABV that confuse me. Generally prices tend to adjust based on ABV in beer stores for new IPA releases, since less ingredients are typically involved for a 5% beer than a 8% beer of the same style, though Grimm cans seem exempt from that and have a more universal pricing it seems?

Pricing at Grimm's brewery seems very good for to-go stuff, so maybe it's just this particular store near me that's setting the price on their own by nearly 2x on this particular beer (Energy Vibration). idk. 5% pale ales in a beer store at $7 per can isn't the norm to me, and it's hard to buy that when DIPAs from Finback, IA, Barrier, etc are sitting in the same fridge at $4-5 per can. If NYC competition was the same price, this wouldn't pop out to me as much.

Have had pints of Lumen and I believe Magnetic Compass at $8-9 several times at the bar in the past though, so was surprised to see single cans of Energy Vibration (5%) at $7 in the store. It has been many months since those pints though, so perhaps there was just a gradual uptick in pricing that I didn't see.

#259 Mineo, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  20. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (251) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

Isn’t anyone just excited for the 3 beers tomorrow? The two new ones sound great to me and Lumen is a nice 6.4% IPA.

21. uptown_thunder

uptown_thunder Initiate (128) Jun 22, 2018 New York
    Society

I, too, am excited for the three beers tomorrow.

Msudukie likes this.
  22. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Afterimage is on the Green City list, gotta imagine a batch is coming soon.

RobNewton and guinness77 like this.
  23. NewmansOwn

And a new DIPA, Canopy Door.

Comparison_Ford and RobNewton like this.
  24. guinness77

Yep. Definitely noticed that.

25. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (543) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Any consensus on the new beers? Taking a trip to the brewery tomorrow afternoon.

26. NewmansOwn

27. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (295) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

28. frozyn

frozyn Defender (630) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Had a great time at the beer dinner last night put on by Grimm and The Finch. It was a great venue through which to experience the diversity of the beers they create along with some really delicious food in a great setting. The people at our table seemed to be foodies first and not the usual beer nerds I talk about Grimm with, so it was a lot of fun to talk to them about the beers, their experience tasting them, and how they got to know Grimm and beer in general.

Also great to briefly meet @Grimm_Artisanal_Ales and do my usual awkward first meeting shtick and hear from him and Lauren about how they approach beer making. Hope to attend more dinners like this in the future.

29. ZSharp

ZSharp Initiate (41) Sep 4, 2016 New York

First return to the forum in some time so hello all! In NYC this weekend and looking to head to Grimm tmw (Sat) around 3:00, how quickly do they usually sell out of new releases?

30. Feaor

Feaor Initiate (143) Jul 9, 2017 New York

I can’t think of a single time they have sold out same day so far. That being said it get very busy in the taproom on Saturday afternoons just as a heads up if you are planning to hang.

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  31. ZSharp

ZSharp Initiate (41) Sep 4, 2016 New York

Thanks for the info! Maybe we will plan to arrive a bit later as I’m sure there will be a fair amount of hype on the new release, appreciate it!

32. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

The crowds mostly come to hang out, rather than the releases. It's not like Other Half where you see guys wheeling out hand trucks with 5 cases, instead it's mostly packed with hipsters from the neighborhood

uptown_thunder likes this.
  33. Tallerboy

Use Interboro as your plan B hang spot.

34. NewmansOwn

Any thoughts on canopy door?

35. TedStrosser

TedStrosser Aspirant (250) Jun 19, 2015 Pennsylvania

First time @ Grimm yesterday, got there right at open, real mellow, awesome place. Parking was fairly easy to find,however not much food in the neighborhood that I could find. Love the large windows and great daylight. Beers I had were all very good, lots of can options as well. Canopy Door is good, but I liked Tesseract better. Will definitely go back.

prettygood likes this.
  36. Tallerboy

Another great, balanced, & smooth grimm iipa, if you're fan of the other doors you'll like it.

Break on through...

37. guinness77

I loved it. I got to try about 4 or 5oz of it last night and I’d say it’s one of the best beers I’ve drank this year so far. I was gifted a can, and am very fortunate I at least got that.

Kanger, NewmansOwn and uptown_thunder like this.
  38. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (521) Sep 3, 2013 New York

It's good. Nice and smooth for a DIPA. Had a glass of it today and bought a 4pk.

Tallerboy likes this.
  39. NewmansOwn

Afterimage cans next Saturday

40. NewmansOwn