Growing hops in Kansas...?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Mebuzzard, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Grand Pooh-Bah (4,216) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A buddy of mine in Lawrence has about 3 acres that he wants to use for some sort of crop. I mentioned hops...cuz I'm a dork.
    Certain questions then arose as we discussed it. Can anyone address the topics below (helpfully) or direct me to an informational resource?

1- KS is hot and humid, how is that good/bad for hops?
    2- Which hops?
    3- I think he'd look at selling fresh hops to local breweries (Free State, 23rd St, Boulevard....); is 3 acres too much, not enough?
    4- What sort of threats would exist (bugs, fungus, etc)?

Thanks y'all!!

CowsandBeer likes this.
  2. dbossman

dbossman Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska

CowsandBeer and Mebuzzard like this.
  3. nograz

nograz Maven (1,390) Oct 30, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

May be too late this seasons, the rizones are probably mostly gone and probably too late to plant. Mine here in MN have already taken off.

I don't have a direct link, but there are sites that will tell you what hops are best suited for your zone.

Also hops like citra or other newer specialty hops may require a license fee to be paid to grow them.

Mebuzzard likes this.
  4. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I would give it a go on a small scale first. I think the more TLC you provide the better your chances of success. I base this on the measly 4 vines I grew in Colorado:rolling_eyes:

5. jera1350

jera1350 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,017) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

They are easy to grow and grow well in MN, so shod t be too difficult to do in KS. However, I've only grow. Several varieties at home and not on as large if a scale as you're looking at. Like mentioned, do some research and find out some info from other growers. I do know the biggest issue with large scale is the harvesting. Lots of hands or a machine, which can't be cheap.

6. MLeeSnider

MLeeSnider Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Kansas

Hey Mebuzzard:

I have been looking for someone to who wants to grow fresh hops here in Kansas, and researched the subject for several years.
    I tried to grow a Hallertau bine (bine is the technically correct name for hops plants) once in my back yard ten years ago, but found out that it is a finicky variety that will not tolerate extreme heat and humidity in Kansas,. It grew well April into May until we had we had 12 consecutive days of 115-120 degrees F and it withered and died. I have since learned that from research Hallertau is not the bine to try to grow in our area, and other varieties are much better suited to our climate.
    Centennial and Cascade are the flavor hops that grow best in Nebraska. They also grow hops in Missouri, Colorado and in Oklahoma and Texas. With the right location and attention to detail they should grow here as well.
    If your friend in Lawrence has a hillside with a southern exposure, soil that drains well, the land is not located near a creek or river bottom land, he can install the bines in rows running north to south with drip irrigation, it is ideal for a hop farm.
    Hops are susceptible to downy mildew in areas of high humidity, so hops do not like growing in low lying land by a river nor by a creek.
    But they like consistent moisture with moderate watering, say twice a week if it has not rained. Hops do not like to be soggy nor be in standing water as they will get ruined by rhizome rotting fungi.
    Since they grow up to 18 to 20 feet tall, a series of poles with supporting cables are necessary to bear the weight of the plants. They are hungry plants (growing that tall in five months) so they need up to 200 lbs of nitrogen fertilizer per acre of planting.
    I am a home brewer who recently invested in a start up commercial microbrewery being constructed here in Wichita. We are scheduled to open Aero Plains Brewery in the Delano District of Wichita in October 2016.
    We would love to help folks get started growing fresh hops for brewing in Kansas in exchange for a portion of the crop and we can help with the harvest in mid-August.
    Once a hop plant is established, it is a perennial that will yield hop cones for 15 years or more if carefully cultivated.
    Give me a reply if your buddy in Lawrence is still interested in hop growing.

CowsandBeer likes this.
  7. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Zealot (631) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

i grew chinook in my backyard in nebraska with no issues. got about 3oz wet hops in the first year even.

Lindzlou24 and CowsandBeer like this.
  8. imajollyroger

imajollyroger Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2016

Hey @MLeeSnyder, I have some land on the west side of Wichita that I would like to grow hops on. Let's talk!

9. Lindzlou24

Lindzlou24 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2018

Does anyone know where I could find an operational hop farm around kansas somewhere? Hopefully within a couple or a few hours of around Topeka somewhere? We just started growing hops this year, and my husband is really excited about it. Would love for him to get to tour an operation, and be able to talk to someone and see some things about what were trying to do. ( We only have about 18 plants) Any input is very appreciated!! Thanks!

10. morimech

morimech Grand Pooh-Bah (3,779) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

Kansas Hop Company is in Ottawa, KS. https://www.facebook.com/kansashopco/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.