Hacker-Pschorr Gets A 21st Century Makeover

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, May 7, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,518) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

WHITE PLAINS, NY- To address the changing tastes of contemporary beer lovers without violating centuries old traditions and mandates, Hacker-Pschorr the Munich based brewery with more than 600 years of world renowned brewing experience, has developed a line of packaging complete with updated bottles and a bold, enhanced logo worldwide. The U.S. market began receiving the new look this month. It features a contemporary interpretation of traditional design elements and was created to appeal to a broader audience. The new packaging also follows the highly successful U.S. Weissbier can launch earlier this year.

“The Hacker-Pschorr can launch was one of our most successful to date and made us revisit our current packaging to see how we can continue to enhance and improve our image with a younger audience,” says Steve Hauser, CEO of Paulaner USA. “The result is a fresh, modern look that uniquely celebrates the brands rich heritage and superior taste.”

The new Hacker-Pschorr bottles allow for a better overall drinking experience while setting it apart from traditional German Beer bottles. The new logo is strikingly bigger, thicker and louder and represents the boldness of the entire brand portfolio. The diamond pattern on the label emphasizes the Bavarian origin and also includes a ‘descriptor’ that identifies bier specialty. These enhancements combined provide clear brand differentiation in a world of highly stylized brews.

Since 1417, Hacker-Pschorr has been dedicated to the art of brewing and includes only quality ingredients. Hacker-Pschorr biers have always been brewed in accordance with the Reinheitsgebot Purity Law of 1516, which mandates that beer brewed in Bavaria consist of only malted barley, water and hops.

“The new Hacker-Pschorr bottles and logo redesign moves the company into the future. We are confident that this modern day packaging facelift will introduce the brand to an entirely new generation of bier drinkers, ” Hauser concludes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More information about Hacker-Pschorr, including where to purchase, can be found at www.Hacker-Pschorr.us or follow us on:

Instagram: @Hacker-Pschorr
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hackerpschorrmuenchen/

About Hacker-Pschorr
    The Hacker-Pschorr Brewery is among the oldest surviving breweries in Munich, dating back to 1417. Though Hacker-Pschorr uses only the finest ingredients and strictly avoids pasteurization, preservatives, additives, and adjuncts, its most important ingredient is its 600 years of experience using traditional ingredients to craft bier with incredible flavor and consistency.

Hacker-Pschorr styles available in the US are Weisse, Munich Gold, Oktoberfest, Weisse Dark, Munich Dark, and Mai Bock. Visit www.hacker-pschorr.us for details.

About Paulaner USA
    Paulaner USA is headquartered in White Plains New York, and imports Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Fürstenberg, Fuller’s, O’Hara’s, and Früli. More information can be found at http://paulanerhpusa.com.

###

#1 Jason, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (133) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Unsurprisingly, the Paulaner labels got a makeover as well. @Jason did you get that press release as well?

3. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,711) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

The logo still looks pretty classic to me. Some branding just has a timeless quality.

OK_Denise, Junior, TrojanRB and 4 others like this.
  4. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (67) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

Didn't Paulaner just open a new brewery outside Munich a few years ago?

5. grantcty

They did, but it's still technically 'in Munich.' It has to be for them to be able to have tents at Oktoberfest.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  6. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,103) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

11.2 or 12 oz bottles?

7. grantcty

steveh and miwestcoaster like this.
  8. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,636) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

You can see it on the 12-pack.

miwestcoaster and grantcty like this.
  9. Malt_Man

Malt_Man Zealot (565) Jul 4, 2014 United Kingdom (England)

I personally think that the box packaging is very misleading, as the beer is shown served in a traditional 500ml Weizen glass.

dcotom, grantcty and officerbill like this.
  10. grantcty

I don't disagree, but would say that the typical US beer drinker doesn't know any better nor will they really care. The consumer interested enough to regularly buy the product will very likely know that a single bottle from a typical 12-pack on the shelves in the United States won't fill a half-liter glass.

P.S. I have 330 ml weizen glasses--bought either while in Germany or online and shipped here. Both times directly from the brewery (Andechs and Erdinger).

bsp77 and steveh like this.
  11. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,307) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

I have to admit that I hate pouring 12oz or 11.2oz Weizens into my proper Weizen glasses. It looks so sad. I prefer buying 16oz cans or the 500ml bottles from Germany for this very reason.

12. steveh

Society

The bottle on the packaging looks like the .5 liter too -- even more misleading.
    Easy enough to grab a second 11.2 ounce bottle. I do. :slight_smile:

13. grantcty

I hear ya.

Hacker-Pschorr actually used to sell a case of half-liter bottles in certain parts of Wisconsin. Some Woodman's sold them for around 40 bucks--Hard to beat ~$1.75 a bottle!

steveh and bsp77 like this.
  14. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,033) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I was hoping to see 500ml bottles coming this way. :pensive:

15. steveh

Society

Isn't that what the top image is showing?

I see .5l at certain stores, but not all.

My question is if we're going to see the Munich Gold in 12-packs.

Wait, does that say Maibock is available in the U.S?!

adrock314, tzieser and grantcty like this.
  16. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,142) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm actually a big fan of the "new look". Well, I'd definitely call it more of a tweak than a "new look" but I love that they kept the classic look of the original labels but cleaned up the images and font a bit. It's not some cartoony joke of a re-brand like Sam Adams or whatever. I'll buy some when I see it.

I'd rather have them bring back that Superior Festbier again (it came in swing-top bottles, I think it was 2014 or so?). It was easily one of my favorite pale märzenbiers I've had, up there with Spaten Oktoberfest-Wiesn, Hofbrau, etc....

17. grantcty

It does, but it has been draft only for the last several years (the same as Munich Dark and Weisse Dark) None of those three even show up as an option in their beer finder.

18. bsp77

Society

Would be awesome if they sent the Maibock here. But I really like the Hofbrau one, and that is readily available. As far as I am aware, it is the only German-made Maibock distributed in the US.

TongoRad likes this.
  19. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,718) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I just might take this opportunity to get reacquainted with H-P. I drank a hell of a lot of their beers from like '95 to '05, then started to have better luck with Hofbrau and Augustiner. They also started exporting a different helles around that time, from the amazing Edelhell to the fairly okay Munich Gold. Hmm...I wonder if there's a connection there :wink:.

guinness77 and tzieser like this.
  20. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,718) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

We also get Einbecker, sometimes even in mini-kegs (!!).

guinness77, tzieser and grantcty like this.
  21. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (797) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Without seeing the old packaging I have to say it looks very similar......Doubt I would have noticed at the store.....

Enjoy

22. bsp77

Society

Don't think it's in MN.

Neither are any beers from Augustiner. :slight_frown:

Most of the good German beer I buy is from Weihenstephaner, Ayinger, Hofbrau, Aecht, and Andechs. Occasionally Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr but I find the ones I listed first often edge them out on respective styles.

grantcty and TongoRad like this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I have had the Ayinger Maibock a number of times on draft. I posted the below photo in a thread last year:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

24. bsp77

Society

I have that glass!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. WesMantooth

Society Trader

I thought they were the same as the 12 pack bottles that say 11.2????

26. steveh

Society

The bottle images don't show an amount and they look blocky (stout?) like other .5 liters from Germany. The 11.2s are slim.

But I'm just spit-balling, we'll have to wait 'n see I guess.

WesMantooth likes this.
  27. bsp77

Society

The 12 pack says 12x11.2

28. WesMantooth

Society Trader

It would be great if they would start that trend on imports so I can drink 2 beers at a time instead of 3 from my liter and look like I have a problem.
    :smirk:

tzieser and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  29. steveh

Society

Just looked at the website and the only bottles they show are the flip-top .5 liters, so that confuses things more.

30. steveh

Society

Just looked at the Paulaner website and it looks like they're using the same bottles -- and they show a .5l in the same shape as above, but also in the 11.2 ounce, so it looks like the small bottles have been modified.

And the 11.2 Paulaner bottles have the name embossed on the neck. Good to be the parent company I guess.

grantcty and WesMantooth like this.
  31. grantcty

Depends where you shop--Ale Jail had Augustiner in January and Einbecker Pils more recently. Total Wine used to carry their Mai Ur-Bock and Ur-bock dunkel, but I don't think they do anymore

bsp77 likes this.
  32. bsp77

Society

Seriously? No idea Ale Jail had Augustiner.

grantcty likes this.
  33. grantcty

It has been available (draft-only) for the past few years. I believe Gasthof zur Gemuetlichkeit would usually get it.

Ayinger Maibock has been available at the Winzer Stube in Hudson in the past few years.

34. grantcty

Yup. Quite fresh then too. Edelstoff was bottled end of October and Maximator was bottled first week of November.

Follow their twitter--lots of different offerings you don't see at many other places in the Twin Cities.

35. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,291) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Redesign looks good to me. Always felt like Hacker-Pschorr makes solid beers across the board. I never did find the 4-pack cans of Weissbier they came out with, so I'm hoping these will be easier to come by.
    I love the look on my wife's face when I grab bottles of Oktoberfest two at a time out of the fridge. I'm going to have more than one anyways so why not just grab two and get a proper fill in my 0.5L seidel? It's not my fault the bottles are only 11.2 oz.

36. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (497) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

But it is a wheat beer. My hefe glasses are all pretty big to allow for that nice head.

37. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,373) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Anyone know if they will put the Munich Gold in cans?

38. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,374) Jan 6, 2014 New York

B. United was shipping Mai-Ur-Bock cans when the shipping to NYS thing started but they said the cans were from the fall so I didn’t pull the trigger. I’ve never had it.

TongoRad likes this.
  39. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (115) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

Will they be shipping their Dunkel over as well in these new bottles? I’ve had it on draft over here and it was delicious.

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,486) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Munich Dark is depicted as being draft only on the website:

https://www.hacker-pschorr.com/us/beers/munich-dark

Cheers!