Had a Peach Pumpkin DIPA yesterday...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ManBearPat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (422) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

From Pateros Creek.. They added peach and pumpkin to their Mt. Massive DIPA (a great example of the style in its own right).

After careful dissection, I found it to be too sweet for me even though it was obviously brewed the hard way.

Has anyone tried any pumpkin peach brews lately?
    Did you dissect it properly?
  2. JAPack521

JAPack521 Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

I couldn't get it past my enormous hipster mustache.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,149) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Thanks to that commercial there are now 7 in the process of being brewed in Denver alone.
    I'm willing to take bets that most of them suck, too. Station 26 might be the only place to announce one that I actually trust won't flub it. The AB marketing team is probably laughing every time they see another one pop up.
  4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,039) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Innovation can be so predictable sometimes.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,149) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The whole thing reminds me of the (not very PC) story about Brer Rabbit and the briar patch. AB essentially challenged the community into a running with a bad idea.
  6. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (422) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

i doubt Pateros made much.. like a sixtel at most.
    i truly hope other breweries aren't making more than a barrel.
    utopiajane likes this.
  7. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (605) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

What's all the fuss about?
  8. JAPack521

Is it common knowledge now that Elysian (whom AB just acquired) always made a pumpkin peach ale? AB mocked the costumers of a business that they own. Smooth.
    Immortale25 likes this.
  9. akrz47

akrz47 Aspirant (220) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

WE all know they're making these to mock AB. But the outside world is going to think we all thought it was a great idea, so now we're making it. Just reinforces AB's "beer snob" campaign. They're loving this, I guarantee it.
  10. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I don't understand what everyone is so bent out of shape and scared about. Craft beer is gaining market share. It doesn't matter what the big boys say.

It reminds me of the the Red Sox Yankees rivalry Years back. Hating the Yankees became more important than loving the Sox. The whole team and fan base looked bad. The Yankees fans never gave much thought to the Red Sox because they were very successful and the Sox never won a thing. Once doing everything they could to actually win became more important than the hate, the Red Sox got their revenge.

Instead of looking bush league and brewing shitty beer out of spite, continue making the best beers and hit them where it counts...in the wallet.
  11. JAPack521

I disagree. The beer community is celebrating fun flavor combinations despite AB's attempt to make it sound ridiculous, proving that the community can make anything delicious and fun. The AB spokesman for the commercial called pumpkin peach ale a "ludicrous combinations of flavors." We're proving them wrong.
    utopiajane likes this.
  12. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (850) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Was actually the Budweiser VP, Brian Perkins.

And the entirety of the quote just leads me to believe that they are actually far dumber than we're giving them credit for and completely uneducated about their own business transactions. They had absolutely NO idea that a pumpkin peach beer actually existed. He (and those making the commercial, obviously) thought they were "fabricating" a flavor combo....here is the full quote:

"The only other beer that we reference in the spot is a fabricated, ludicrous flavor combination of pumpkin peach ale."
    IPAandGreenChile likes this.
  13. Doctor_Bogenbroom

Doctor_Bogenbroom Disciple (330) Nov 2, 2014 Pennsylvania

While I understand the natural inclination to "stick it to the Man," as it were, making a bunch of bad pumpkin peach ales seems like a bad way to go about it.
    Bearshawks85 likes this.
  14. akrz47

akrz47 Aspirant (220) May 31, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

...which is not at all my point of my post. The rest of the world is not enthused by craft beer the way you (we) are. They do not see it as delicious. They look at it and think, "Ha, Budweiser was right, they DO make stuff like that!" Look at it from someone else's perspective.
  15. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Poo-Bah (1,641) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Or, it was a magnificent marketing ploy and now everyone is talking about and trying a beer they own. Do you really think this wasn't calculated?
  16. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,432) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I liked Mikkeller's response. In case you did not see it, he wrote a well worded and very courteous letter that invited them to a beer fest. They would have to show up with 4 beers in various styles and the message was, "I really do brew beer, let's see you brew beer." I think their campaign has backfired and that not too many people are out there running all over town trying to find anything AbInBev owns, but rather anything they don't. :slight_smile:
    #16 utopiajane, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  17. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (41) Dec 25, 2008 New York

These beers are clearly being made as a joke in response to Budweiser's ad, and even if non-craft drinkers were aware of them (which they most likely will not be), they would most likely understand the joke as well. Just because they don't like good beer doesn't mean they don't understand humor.
    Justdoit1234 and utopiajane like this.
  18. JAPack521

I see your point and it's a good one. I guess part of what confuses me about the ad, is I can't figure out who their target audience is. Are there lots of people who drink Bud who are aware of the craft scene and all it has to offer but just haven't made the leap? Maybe there are; I just haven't met any.
  19. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Aspirant (226) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

I understand you dissected it, but did you fuss over it? You may need to go back to golden subs aged on beechwood.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.