Half Acre (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Nachos4two, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Zealot (580) Nov 26, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

first release of the year

eppCOS and flat_lander like this.
  2. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,239) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Argh, I didn’t see you started the thread for Half-Acre (2019) and I thought I even checked the forum thoroughly. I’ll reach out to a moderator to erase the one I started.

3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (384) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Probably my favorite half acre beer

habc_me, HouseofWortship and eppie82 like this.
  4. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,239) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Went to Lincoln taproom this evening with fiancé, ordered a pint of Dungeons, took one sip, left taproom, and went straight to shop and picked up two 4-packs before returning to finish pint. I swear this beer gets better (and yet less appreciated) with each batch.

GOBLIN, eppCOS, Redrover and 6 others like this.
  5. IlCraftWjgman

IlCraftWjgman Initiate (95) Mar 7, 2016 Illinois

Grabbed a 4 pack of Dungeons last night, drank my first can. Now I'm considering returning for another 4 pack. Phenomenal beer.

6. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,286) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

HA are doing themed brewery tours at their Balmoral facility this year. Seems like a cool idea to me. First up is an in depth look at their canning line.

eppCOS and Redrover like this.
  7. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I’ll need to keep my eyes open for Dungeons here. Sounds tasty. Haven’t bought any Half Acre since we recently started getting them, but I’d really like to try this if gets here.

Anyone know of this is only a local market offering?

8. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (556) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I live a few hours south of Chicago and we saw it last time. I liked it so much I flew with a few cans to Denver to have with my brother when out in CO last summer. When he took me to the craft beer shop by his house they had 4 packs in the cooler. It's an excellent beer and definitely worth a 4 pack. I bought one last time, opened one that night, and promptly went and bought a second 4 pack after work the next day.

TheGent likes this.
  9. beardown2489

I know the last batch of dungeons made it to Portland, so you can be hopeful. Send them a note on social media, they’re typically very responsive.

TheGent likes this.
  10. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks guys. Shot em a note on Instagram. I am hopeful!

11. Nachos4two

Trader

12. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Disciple (365) Apr 27, 2012 Illinois

13. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (353) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

JimGlonke likes this.
  14. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,041) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Good start.

Now, give me Navaja year-round again (and/or in 12-packs).

15. RachelStarr

RachelStarr Initiate (16) Nov 20, 2017 Illinois

Moved to a one month limited release, same as Deep Space, for 2019.

16. SeanBond

Trader

Wait, one month?!? :astonished:

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (665) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It should be renamed "Going, Going, Gone Away"

18. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (997) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

This is terrible news about Navaja. :rolling_eyes:

SeanBond and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  19. beardown2489

Buy a case immediately. Store it cold. It should last ya 3/4 months just fine.

Half Acre is listening to the market. The market wants new skus every week. Not a 6 month shelfy

20. lloydboss

lloydboss Aspirant (291) May 9, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I think there’s a part of the market that definitely wants new SKUs every week.

There’s also a part of the market that enjoys top quality easily available beers & isn’t necessarily in the ticking phase of the hobby that the sku chasers are. They also tend to be the more loyal customers to a brand or brewery. I hope Half Acre & other breweries don’t forget about us trying to please the trend chasers

jimmyfishkin, toolbrew and ChiPez66 like this.
  21. Jplachy

Trader

I think 12 packs of Pony and Daisy Cutter should help with that.

22. lloydboss

Trader

great point

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  23. beardown2489

I’m with you man. I have daisy on tap in my house quite regularly, but next up is dungeons, so I’m not sure I’ve proven my point. But I’ve narrowed down my brands. I typically drink beer from 5-7 breweries now. That could be core, or it could be an “one off” like dungeons from HA or a hazy from Brickstone. But I’ve figured out which breweries make my kind of beer and that’s what I stick to now. It’s why i joined HA keg club membership.

24. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Meyvn (1,134) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve heard a quote somewhere - If your favorite beer gets discontinued, it probably wasn’t your favorite beer. A little extreme but it makes a point.

I’m guessing Navaja didn’t sell well enough in the later stages of the six months it’s been out. You can come on here and imply they are just following a trend chasing part of the market I hope, but I doubt anyone on here knows how their own beer sold better than they do.

croush, dukeandduke and beardown2489 like this.
  25. I_Have_The_Runs

I_Have_The_Runs Initiate (37) Nov 19, 2018 Illinois

Love Navaja but I noticed it was turning into shelf turd at my local Binny's which definitely surprised me.

dukeandduke likes this.
  26. cpferris

cpferris Initiate (73) Jan 22, 2008 Indiana
    Trader

Speaking of the Keg Club, they’ve been down to just a few kegs available for the last month or so. Hoping the selection returns to what it was earlier in the year!

Thrillhouse82 likes this.
  27. SeanBond

Trader

I would argue that part of Navaja's issue is that they went from originally releasing it (the canned version) as year-round to a summer beer. I personally think it is a good summer beer (it's got a really nice dry finish for a high ABV DIPA), but honestly, who is buying 10% DIPAs in the summer? There's a reason everyone brings out their lightest beers in the season. Plenty of us (myself included) are guilty of buying mostly "new" beers, but I still find it pretty surprising that HA doesn't have a year-round (or 6 month, now) DIPA.

I pass on pretty much all of their year-round releases (I'm not a big fan of Pony, Daisy Cutter, etc.), so it's a shame that the one I do buy is no longer even here for a half a year. At least their one-offs somewhat fill that void (although I haven't run into a good replacement for Navaja yet).

Thrillhouse82 and dukeandduke like this.
  28. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (50) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Yikes, I thought you guys were joking. I pick up Navaja pretty much every time I see it since it often would be sold out at Schaumburg Binny's. That is a real bummer that it won't be coming out as much...

SeanBond and dukeandduke like this.
  29. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Disciple (367) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I don't know what it was about Navaja, but I just never liked that beer, which strikes me as odd considering how much I enjoy so many of HA's hoppy beers (BHA, Double Daisy, Plane Wave, Sailor's Kush, Deep Space, Gone Away...). I can't put my finger on it, but there was just something off-putting.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  30. Thrillhouse82

Thrillhouse82 Initiate (134) Sep 14, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

What is this "Keg Club" you speak of?

beardown2489 likes this.
  31. lloydboss

Trader

Thrillhouse82 and beardown2489 like this.
  32. SeanBond

Trader

Imo it's just way different than most of their hoppy beers, so I'm not surprised you don't like it. It's super dry but really high ABV. I'm not a huge fan of Space or Deep Space (I think it might be the malt), and Sailor's Kush is just a really out there beer (and way more towards NE style).

Put another way, I feel like Navaja (and Sailor's Kush) are two of the most unique DIPAs HA puts out; the rest may have varying hop profiles (and most are delicious), but they all taste unmistakably like Half Acre hoppy beers.

CB_Michigan and dukeandduke like this.
  33. Nachos4two

Trader

Anyone see dungeons in the wild yet?

34. Hodge0914

Hodge0914 Initiate (75) Sep 1, 2013 Illinois

Binnys on Grand has it

BuffaloBill12 and Nachos4two like this.
  35. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (64) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

HA is clearly capable of making a shelfie DIPA as good as NvU but Navaja was not it.

36. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I think I prefer Navaja honestly. I like NvU a lot, but I love Navaja.

Chuckdiesel24 and SeanBond like this.
  37. RGP23

RGP23 Initiate (44) Sep 14, 2016 Illinois

Heavy Gem drop tomorrow

eppie82 likes this.
  38. Jplachy

Trader

Based on these pics. Are these beers meant to be combined? Or am I crazy?

39. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (556) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

It showed up downstate yesterday. Love this beer. Really glad to see it back.

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (665) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We prefer to use the term differently special.