Half Acre (2020)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by CityofWind_brew, Jan 1, 2020.

1. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Aspirant (299) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

The peking duck at Sun Wah is to die for! And Demera is excellent if you're in the mood for Ethiopian.

2. SeanBond

SeanBond Meyvn (1,081) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

We successfully converted my family from eating at a place in Chinatown for Christmas dinner, to Sun Wah this past Dec. While I don't love all their dishes, the ones I've had have at least been good, the prices are reasonable, and yeah, if you go there for the Peking/Beijing duck, that shit is awesome.

3. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (409) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Damn catch hell sounds incredible. Hope it’s not a shit show on Friday

4. SeanBond

Trader

5. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (38) Jan 13, 2018
    Trader

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. miniditka77

miniditka77 Aspirant (203) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

FWIW, I definitely did not love Navaja. I thought it needed either more bitterness or less alcohol. FFF can put out a 10%+ DIPA because their strong hop bitterness covers the alcohol. With Navaja, I could literally taste the alcohol, like someone poured a shot of vodka into a regular IPA.

Now Vallejo...... that was a really good beer. From what I have heard, they use Nelson Sauvin heavily in Vallejo, which is probably why I like it.

7. ryno0384

ryno0384 Initiate (104) Apr 11, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah.....it supposed to be brutally cold.....so hoping itll last until 2pm or so. No info on limits or pricing yet.

8. SeanBond

Trader

Pricing is $24.99 a 2-pack, I think.

ryno0384 likes this.
  9. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,402) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

As a Benthic convert, I'm going to make a pass at getting this! Not a huge cinnamon fan, but I think they'll integrate it nicely with the other delicious-sounding ingredients.

SeanBond likes this.
  10. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (386) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Just saw that Tome will retail for $10.99 which is odd considering Bodem and Daisy Cutter, etc are $9.99. Not sure I need to pay an extra dollar for a hazy Pale Ale.

EDIT: Also, why is Bodem $19.99 for a 12 pack when Daisy and Pony are $17.99 when the 4 packs are all the same price?

11. Jagrmaister

Trader

Benthic was a huge surprise and one of my top beers of the year. I'm a cinnamon nut and will have to find my way down to the city somehow as result.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  12. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (51) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

Damn!

If that's the mindset I have no chance. I was thinking of heading there after work like 6pm-7pm. Oh well, none for me. :grin:

ryno0384 likes this.
  13. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,260) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

It will all depend on expected trade value. No trade value/small trade value = no worries about lines or running out that quickly. Trade value = shitlord neckbeard bum-rush.

flat_lander, croush and SeanBond like this.
  14. Jagrmaister

Trader

I just want some because Vanilla, Cinnamon, and Buffalo Trace were mentioned...

SeanBond likes this.
  15. SeanBond

Trader

So you want the beer because you think it'll taste good? Typical entitled BA'er, always looking to consume the beer themselves instead of selling it for 4x MSRP online!

16. mbockstruck30

Trader

This is the question of the day.

flat_lander likes this.
  17. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (622) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Agreed. And yet, I'm still going to buy it even if not provided a satisfactory answer.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  18. ryno0384

Trader

So if I arrive at open (11am) tomorrow would one be good for a 2pack? Hard to gauge this one since it wasnt known for a long period and hyped like Benthic releases.

19. Jagrmaister

Trader

The only way to find out is go there at open and report back your findings.

20. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Initiate (163) Oct 4, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I plan on making it there early-ish. Not 11 but most likely between 12-1. It’s releasing at Lincoln and Balmoral so logistically, people shouldn’t have too hard a time getting some with it being split between both locations. Who knows though.

ryno0384 likes this.
  21. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (270) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone going today, your early reviews would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

22. Hang_Over

Hang_Over Initiate (48) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

How's the line?

23. flat_lander

flat_lander Defender (622) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm going with cold AF.

24. joeyknuckles

joeyknuckles Initiate (97) Apr 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Where do people line up at balmoral? Was in neighborhood and drove by little bit ago and didn’t see anyone though I just drove past the parking lot side of the building. Even with the bitter cold, I was surprised to see no one

25. ravens_wood

ravens_wood Initiate (51) Dec 21, 2017 Illinois

It'll be on tap per Half Acre instagram. Nice!

Are people lining up WFHers? 4x10ers?

26. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (323) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Well I'm WFH today due to UP-N being all sorts of jacked up, and I can say that I will not be standing in any sort of line. It's way too cold for that nonsense today, so I'll swing by at 11 to check it out, and just turn around if it's a long wait.

ryno0384 likes this.
  27. ryno0384

Trader

Sold at both locations.....not a long known release or hyped like Benthic, bitterly cold out....I'm guessing cans last into the evening......hopefully

28. jbecke2

jbecke2 Initiate (154) Oct 22, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Quick drive by at Lincoln... 7 people in line

ryno0384 likes this.
  29. ryno0384

Trader

Yeah Id say were good to stroll in for cans later today then.....thanks

30. Jagrmaister

Trader

Nobody wants to stand in line in this hot freezing garbage weather for beer.

31. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (63) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

[​IMG]
    Is this one of them?

[​IMG]

flat_lander and HouseofWortship like this.
  32. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (270) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

You seriously underestimate some of the psychos in the Chicago beer scene.

33. Jagrmaister

Trader

At Balmoral. They've got "enough" but not enough to see distro. Pretty tasty off first cold sip. Gonna let it warm up a bit to see how many 2 packs I'm taking with me.

Cold sip reminds me of a really really good Dark Lord if vanilla and cinnamon were involved in the variant.

Jsimansk and ryno0384 like this.
  34. ryno0384

Trader

Cheers sir. You think cans will last the day then? Or into the evening at least?

35. Jagrmaister

Trader

Hard to say as they're bringing it out only a few cases at a time so I can't see the full allotment. Guessing it'll last a few hours at least from the nonchalant "Oh yeah, we've got a good amount." My distro question came after that response. Plus, it's at both locations so they must have a bit of it.

Yeah, as this warms, if you like Dark Lord, you'll like this. An improved, less soy DL with subtle vanilla & cinnamon.

ryno0384 likes this.
  36. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (752) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

8 of them are loopers.

Yeah, he rolled in with these guys:
    [​IMG]

stevegoz likes this.
  37. mbockstruck30

Trader

Do we know if this is a different base than Benthic?

38. Jagrmaister

Trader

Didn't taste like it. Way more "spice". I asked just now to confirm and was told it was a whole new bag, baby. Surprise!

I grabbed a 2 pack since I'm sitting on so much beer already and a pack for a buddy. The bartender mischarged the pour size so it's another 5ozer for me. The longer I sit with it the more I want to buy another pack.

If this was a Dark Lord variant with a great year's base, it would be Dark Lord S'more. Toasty, Cinnamon and spice, a burnt marshmallow from the vanilla, smoke from the fire/barrel, and none of the bullshit sweetness of all those other overly sweet smore abominations on the market. It could be the 14% going to my head, too. Cheers!

#158 Jagrmaister, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    SWChi, HazeBro83, ryno0384 and 2 others like this.
  39. ryno0384

Trader

Just leaving Lincoln....good amount still in the cooler.....some in back as well. Consistent stream entering but not crowded by any means. Lincoln looks to be a safe bet for at least another few hours. Balmoral someone else spoke on earlier which sounds like a similar bet

Cheers all.

40. mbockstruck30

Trader

Just got to Lincoln myself. No line for cans or the taproom right now. I wasn’t going to even bother if there was a line, so this is a very nice surprise.