Half Acre (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Vitamin_Hop, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (456) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

FSDDC DPA is NA at both HA locations and is getting full distro.

2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (993) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Damn. There goes my dry July.

eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  3. Vitamin_Hop

Vitamin_Hop Initiate (143) Mar 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone know if Lincoln will reopen the bar before the sale to HBFTW?

eppCOS likes this.
  4. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

5. Vitamin_Hop

Trader

thank you but that news is now a month old and Chicago is running at full capacity. In HA terms that’s at least two daisy cutter variants of time ago.

I’m hoping for a nice 2-3 month window to give the people time to stumble in versus an all star, fireworks weekend of no table jamboree

eppCOS and beardown2489 like this.
  6. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I'm guessing it's likely the latter rather than the former unfortunately based on their response to him. Balmoral is their focus going forward. No reason for them to re-open Lincoln apart from a proper sendoff event possibly. We shall see.

7. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,431) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

If anything happens it sounds like its going to a farewell party over a day or maybe a weekend, but honestly the impression I got from them last time I was up there (within the last two weeks) was that its most likely that nothing happens at Lincoln before the handoff.

8. HouseofWortship

Trader

I wonder whether the Hop Butcher Lincoln will have issues with green NEIPAs like they do with their cans or if they have the ability to wait a week or two to put it on at peak flavor.

eppCOS likes this.
  9. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (146) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Any Northwest Suburb sightings of Fully Saturated yet?

10. weirdalchy

weirdalchy Initiate (109) Jan 23, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Picked up a 4pk at Oak Trail yesterday afternoon so its definitely out and about

REVZEB, Vitamin_Hop and eppie82 like this.
  11. FlaviusG

Trader

Yo…FSDDC IS PGIMO

12. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,454) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

As a vocal acronyms-in-beer-culture hater, I both laughed out loud at this and completely understood exactly what you were saying.

Bravo.

mbockstruck30, ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  13. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,454) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dumb question...did Half Acre release their version of the Revolution collaboration? I feel like they haven't, but my memory sucks.

REVZEB likes this.
  14. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (235) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

They have not. It's a barleywine and I think it's going to be extended aged

15. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (461) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

I think they alternate the releases each year. Next year, On & On will be a Half Acre beer

16. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Yeah I got tired of any official HA Lincoln announcement. So I'll just ride whatever snake to the lake in mid-August when I visit. I will give a heads up if anyone here wants to hang at Balmoral, Spiteful or Dovetail. Cheers!

REVZEB, Vitamin_Hop, SeanBond and 5 others like this.
  17. flat_lander

flat_lander Champion (860) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I only catch one acronym here. But yeah, FSDDC is spectacular.

FBarber, galos11 and BeerPrince22 like this.
  18. FlaviusG

Trader

I’m feelin’ the pink cans too, ya dig?

FBarber and galos11 like this.
  19. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Devotee (497) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

ICYMI on HA’s Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CRPnam2MMWn/?hl=en

No idea what, if anything, this means for a farewell celebration, but they are certainly winding down operations.

eppCOS, kbergen28, Jaycase and 2 others like this.
  20. HouseofWortship

Trader

Did they announced Big North for 2021 or is that not happening?

eppCOS likes this.
  21. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (290) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Tried to go back for dinner Sunday night around 6:30 at Balmoral. Was told they were short staffed and most people were waiting around 3 hours. There was a decent crowd but plenty of open tables, and before she delivered the news, she looked around as if she were trying to see if anything was opening up, again looking at open tables. Also no one else standing and waiting. Was just a completely odd interaction. But we had the kids and was already 20 mins over there for us so just bounced to little bad wolf. Sent HA a note on IG to see if maybe worth a post so others don’t make the trip. No response.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  22. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,433) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I had somewhat of a similar experience a few weeks ago when two friends were in town. We arrived to Balmoral, with a good few tables open still but were told it’s going to be a 2 hour wait likely. We were a bit puzzled and I might have in honest disbelief asked ‘Really?!’ We ended up going to Metropolitan and Maplewood instead. I chalked it up to an off day, but who knows.

ChicagoJ and BobCobb like this.
  23. HouseofWortship

Trader

Now that you guys mention it, unless they expanded Balmoral or put in more seating, that place will be a clusterfluff if they get the normal traffic from the shuttered Lincoln location in addition to their normal Balmoral events. Not sure I would go there if it was that busy.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  24. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,755) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Tons of restaurants are very understaffed right now as pandemic restrictions open back up, so they likely did not feel like they had the staff available to service their full seating capacity. It seems perfectly reasonable to me for them to keep tables open so that seated customers can still have a positive experience and their staff can avoid being driven to exhaustion.

25. HouseofWortship

Trader

I'm talking about when we are back to normal. Combining two locations worth of people into one space without expanding the space seems like a recipe for disaster.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  26. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,755) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Oh, for sure, that could happen if they don't manage it carefully. You squeaked in ahead of me, though; my post was in response to the two before you.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  27. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,433) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Totally understandable, but still disappointing. I hope for their sake they can navigate the current environment effectively enough prior to demotivating or losing customers because of lack of headcount and ability to provide adequate service, if that is their issue as we theorize. I know I’ll be staying away until the circumstances change a bit.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (220) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I'm going to probably try to stop by Lincoln before they close because I probably won't ever go up to balmoral unless there's a fest like the big north or something. It's too far north for me.

29. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (330) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Lincoln has never reopened after the pandemic...

ChicagoJ likes this.
  30. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,431) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

The little merchandise shop is open for merch and beer, but otherwise thats it.

31. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (220) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Im going to buy from the shop... which has reopened...

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  32. beardown2489

They won’t be combining two locations of capacity into one. Do you really think every person who used to patronize HA Lincoln is going to travel to balmoral every time? It’s much more likely Balmoral gains a decent amount of traffic from the die hards willing to travel, but others will be just as happy to continue drinking at their local brewery, which will now become Hop Butcher, not a terrible alternative

jaysker95 and eppCOS like this.
  33. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Well hell - if I have to wait 2+ hours for a single seat/stool (assuming indoor bar is still a no-go at Balmoral), then I might have to go next door to Spiteful. Balmoral doesn't have the character, vibe, or atmosphere for me to wait long. We'll see. T-1 month.
    Looking forward to trying at least ONE great new brewery in Chicago too. Cheers!

34. HouseofWortship

Trader

Half Acre Lincoln was a terrible neighborhood brewery for locals. It was way too crowded and for most of its history did not have food made on site. So yes, people are going to travel the two miles from Lincoln to Balmoral because they are Half Acre fans, not closest brewery fans. If that was the case Begyle and Dovetail would have pulled Lincolns business. Didn't happen.

35. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (290) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

The interesting thing was when we went about a month ago to Balmoral for dinner, it was packed, and I think I noted it was possibly the fastest we’d ever received food/drinks while seated *ever*. So it was odd to see half the tables open and hear 3 hours. Understandable things may have changed since then, or at least on this night. But it’s certainly not a sustainable thing, and I’m not going to get burned again just making the trip and hoping.

ChicagoJ, eppie82 and GuyFawkes like this.
  36. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Disciple (330) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Doesn't Balmoral do reservations? That could be why they looked like they had tables available but didn't actually.

If you're going to be making a trek there and definitely want to go, just make a reservation.

37. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (135) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Spot on. I have messaged with them a few times and they highly recommend making a reservation if you are coming. They told me to be prepared to wait and possibly not get seated if you show up without one.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  38. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Devotee (438) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Fair to wonder if people are ghosting their reservations?

eppie82 and ChicagoJ like this.
  39. Vitamin_Hop

Trader

any special beers for sale or just the expected weekly cans?

40. beardown2489

Dovetail and begyle aren’t good comparables and I’m sure you understand that. Dovetail makes german and belgian beer. And well, Begyle simply isn’t on the same level as any of the other breweries mentioned in the conversation.