Half Acre (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Vitamin_Hop, Jan 2, 2021.

1. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (993) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

You can't have your cake and eat it to. You've gone from people aren't going to travel 2 miles to go to Half Acre because they are supporting their local brewery to those people aren't going to support their other local breweries because they aren't good enough or the same style, yet you believe Hop Butcher which doesn't have near the quality or breadth of beers Half Acre does will be an ample draw to take away HA's Lincoln patrons? I don't see it.

Vitamin_Hop, KidGalaga and ChicagoJ like this.
  2. Unbreakabolt

Unbreakabolt Initiate (151) Nov 6, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I think most of the real heads preferred Half Acre before they began food service at Lincoln. That was a massive downgrade from BYOF and they never really recovered the vide after moving the tables and bringing in servers. My opinion is that their food program tries too hard but I haven't had the new menu at balmoral.

My wife and I were also there Saturday and were turned away due to staffing. I undertand the dynamics at play but with a massive open patio it seems like an easy fix to have one person with a ice bucket full of cans and a square reader to hand them to people. A three hour wait to have beers at a tap room is insane.

Dovetail and Begyle seems to be doing quite well with their on site service for what it is worth.

3. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (208) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

This is where I fall. While their food looked super legit, I felt the space was too small for their choice of menu. Its hard to enjoy the sensory greatness of beer while sitting crammed next to someone crushing a Korean burrito (*or any burrito) and all the aromas that come with it.

ChicagoJ, Nbrock24 and KidGalaga like this.
  4. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (290) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, that was the plan. I looked mid afternoon, and I want to say that every possible time slot save 5:00 was still open. I came back around 45 minutes later to select a slot, and it was shut off. I assumed they just hit a point where they turned it off for the day, which was clearly wrong. I checked IG and other social to make sure they weren’t closing early but didn’t see anything. Would have called but the last time I did the only place I could get through to was Lincoln. So yeah, won’t bother next time unless have a slot locked in.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. Jinx989

Jinx989 Defender (610) Apr 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

This has your name all over it @eppCOS

Half Acre Beer Company
    We made shirts honoring Lincoln. Lincoln the building. Lincoln the Bear. Swing by the shop to get yours. ⠀

[​IMG]

6. P739397

P739397 Initiate (95) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Some hints on that shirt post today that while the shop is closing, there will be future end/closing dates for the brewery and taproom. Looking forward to anything they plan.

eppCOS, kbergen28 and BeerPrince22 like this.
  7. P739397

Trader

Lots of hate for the burrito scene at Half Acre. I miss the burritos and loved having them there. I never felt my experience of was lessened by another person's meal choice and loved that the space was intimate and buzzing. It felt like walking into a friend's busy living room and the team at Lincoln gave me the same vibe.

8. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (208) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

No hate here, just an expression of preference. I’m happy you enjoyed your experiences there, I did as well and understand that my opinions are solely my own.

rmpic82 and ChicagoJ like this.
  9. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Well shitsnacks - another HA piece of merch to pick up.
    Hopefully they sell online since I ain't there for a few more weeks. Cheers all....
    *miss you bear!*

jaysker95 and FBarber like this.
  10. eppCOS

Society

And just like that, my wife loses even MORE drawer space in the armoire.
    :wink: Thx for that call-out @Jinx989 !

flat_lander, Jinx989 and FBarber like this.
  11. flat_lander

flat_lander Champion (860) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I came here to alert you of this exact shirt! Of course, @Jinx989 is on it like always.

Jinx989, eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  12. eppCOS

Society

So, for those of you in the know, have you tried to show as a solo beer drinker to Balmoral?
    If so, did you have to "reserve" a spot (which seems weird) or do they just tack you on as a +1 to a long awkward picnic table arrangement outside?
    Just askin' here - trying to figure out the best arrangement to do some quality HA-time now that Lincoln will not be an option when I hit the city in a few weeks.

13. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Initiate (108) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Hmmm. Now we know where the folks who managed the 3 floyds taproom back in the day went. Sounds familiar - not an easy place to stop for a quick brew at the bar.

14. P739397

Trader

In a normal world, you could go solo and not worry about reserving a spot. With inside closed and outside being four tops, I'd reserve a table to be safe.

FBarber and eppCOS like this.
  15. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,454) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'd meet ya for jawn or two, amigo.

FBarber and eppCOS like this.
  16. eppCOS

Society

Excellent, with luck, we might finally find another penny too! Cheers man...

FBarber and GuyFawkes like this.
  17. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (146) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

High & Dry is pretty good

Binny’s sent me an e-mail saying it’s a taproom favorite but it doesn’t have many check-ins, did it go by another name?

eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  18. P739397

Trader

Looks like it was released last summer, so it would have been on at Balmoral, right?

19. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (461) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Yea High and Dry is damn good. Peak Half Acre ipa

eppCOS, Jaycase and Nbrock24 like this.
  20. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed. It would not get much argument from me as the quintessential HA IPA. Really enjoyed it as well. The 6.8% ABV for an IPA is perfect too imo.

eppCOS and beardown2489 like this.
  21. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,431) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Has anyone tried Uptide? Any thoughts?

eppCOS likes this.
  22. eppCOS

Society

@GuyFawkes @FBarber - made a standing res at Half Acre Balmoral on August 19th (Thurs) @5:15 p.m. - if you are available, please let me know this week and I'll try to mod the reservation that is still changeable for a while. Be good to see some BAs in Chicago, apart from the one person I've already arranged to meet there (the free beer gifting angel). Cheers.

kbergen28 and FBarber like this.
  23. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

I'll be there!

kbergen28 and eppCOS like this.
  24. eppCOS

Society

FBarber likes this.
  25. flat_lander

flat_lander Champion (860) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Negative sir. Pesky little thing called work and a 2.5 hour drive one way, among other things have me out on this one. Enjoy your visit!

eppCOS likes this.
  26. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

27. lopy

lopy Initiate (39) Sep 22, 2010 Illinois

Was at Binnys and spotted a 4-pack of a new Half Acre Double IPA canned 8/4 called Field Expression. Couldn’t find any news on social media or their site. Had to pick it up for the curiosity. Will report back when I crack one open later.

eppCOS and beardown2489 like this.
  28. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (456) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

There's an Untappd listing for Field Express. My guess is that this gets announced tomorrow in the Binny's Beer Buzz as a Binny's exclusive.

mbockstruck30 and FBarber like this.
  29. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Things you should know about your fellow Beer Advocates:

@ChicagoJ lights up like a Xmas tree if you say "West Coast IPA".

@77apm has access to every beer ever made and is incredibly generous (and packs beer like MacGuyver)

@FBarber wants enough children to operate a dairy farm

@edk218 does not use Beer Advocate anymore

@eppCOS has found the Fountain Of Youth, knows enough bird calls to qualify as Avian, and is way too generous if you meet him in person.

@GuyFawkes can't be trusted to show up on time

Huzzah, new friends!

ChicagoJ, Jaycase, eppCOS and 7 others like this.
  30. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

@GuyFawkes is also not down to go to a second brewery :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

ChicagoJ, eppCOS and GuyFawkes like this.
  31. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Regretted it last night. Did NOT regret it this morning!!

32. eppCOS

Society

Jesus Tap-dancing-cracker-on-a-stick Christ. @GuyFawkes made the right call last night exiting after the HA Balmoral get-together. Still, WORTH IT. Good to finally meet some of the Great Lak....er, I mean, "Midwest" thread legends, a moderator, and several BAs including the infamous porch-bomber (@77apm ) who has been way too kind.
    That was an evening that I won't soon remember or forget!
    (Still got in 11 miles on the lakeshore trail this morning, but it hurt, and that humidity, man... I was like SpongeBob wet after...ouch).
    Cheers!
    And carry on....

brewskis, ktr5010, kbergen28 and 5 others like this.
  33. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Best part of the night
    One of the better parts of the night... @HouseofWortship conspiracy theories.

34. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,421) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois

Any luck with your second attempt at the E. Norma Gene crowler after Half Acre? (I kid)

Had a great time, it was great meeting you all. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip Eric!

For anyone hitting Half Acre this weekend, Boulevardier Hut was my favorite option among HA offerings, I like what they did with Uptide, and plenty of Keeping Together available!

Cheers!

eppCOS, GuyFawkes and FBarber like this.
  35. Jplachy

Trader

UPDATE: The beer is called Field Expression, some idiot put it on Untappd wrong. And it is a Binny's collab/exclusive.

"It’s hard to believe it’s been two years since we last collaborated with our friends at Half Acre, and after these last two years, a great new beer was much needed. So we sat down with head brewer Matt Young and got our noses into some hops. While we looked to Rumble Grumble for inspiration, for this latest collab we wanted to highlight some special new hops. The consensus, a Double Dry Hopped Double IPA, featuring four hops. Familiar favorites Strata and Cryo Mosaic, are joined by a pair so new they’ve yet to be named – HBC 630 and HBC 586. The finished brew is a tropical hop cocktail, no lactose, juice, or puree involved. Raise a glass with us - to Half Acre and to some of the best hops we’ve ever tasted."

eppCOS, ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  36. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Savant (993) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

And one by one, members of the group that night slowly disappeared without a trace...

37. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (378) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

It’s almost like you know people.

eppCOS and FBarber like this.
  38. Jplachy

Trader

Or its almost like I knew that 2 years ago Binny's made an exclusive beer with Half Acre, and this beer was not announced by Half Acre but was found at Binny's and I know that the Beer Buzz comes out on Fridays which is where this would be announced.

39. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

We've got a regular Sherlock Holmes over here ... :wink:

ChicagoJ and eppCOS like this.
  40. Juicer

Juicer Initiate (148) Apr 1, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Burl arrives as the sun's still radiant, the sky’s a gradient, and summer is firmly in charge. Available in the Beer Garden & Take Away Cafe Thursday 8/26. Everywhere else next week. https://t.co/VKjn9M5Svk

BuffaloBill12, ChicagoJ and eppCOS like this.