Halifax / Hacketts Cove NS rec's?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mrz200, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (124) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

if all goes well (covid tests, customs workers' strike, who knows what else) I'll be in Nova Scotia all next week for a family vacation. staying in Hacketts Cove, which looks to be about 45 minutes from Halifax. Any good local brews to pick up at the store or brewery?

ChicagoJ and Electros like this.
  2. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

If you are in Halifax, I would strongly recommend picking up some Unfiltered and Good Robot stuff. There are others, and I'm hoping someone will chime to mention them.

Edit: If you are driving, there will be some great points along the way. I'd say a stop in Fredericton for some Trailway would be a good idea.

I'm sure if you let us know your route, we can give more tips.

ChicagoJ and Electros like this.
  3. Tmappin

Tmappin Aspirant (215) Sep 25, 2008 Canada (NS)
    Trader

While in Halifax, go to Bishop's cellar if you are looking for a small but solid bottle shop. Talk to the people running the shop, they will help you out. If you like natural wine, they can also help you out.

For must stop breweries, go to Unfiltered for hops, go to North brewing for hops and lager, go to 2 crows brewing for lager, mixed ferm bottles and hops, stop at Propeller brewing for cans of Galaxy IPA, Go to Stillwell beer bar and pick up some Stilly Pils.

There are many other breweries around but I wouldn't worry too much about hitting them unless you have a ton of time.

I highly recommend stopping at the the Stillwell Beer garden for tacos and a pint before you leave town.

Not too much out in Hacketts cove, but it is pretty and a great place to relax by the sea. Labour Day Picnic is a great little cafe/bakery in the area and shouldn't be missed.

If you have any interest in an IP local for local trade lemme know.

ChicagoJ, Electros and polloenfuego like this.
  4. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,905) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Society Trader

Wow, I forgot about North, 2 Crowd, and worst of all Stillwell. Covid has done some damage on my recollection.

Galaxy IPA really surprised me. I had no expectations, but it was damn tasty.

ChicagoJ, Electros and Tmappin like this.
  5. Tmappin

Tmappin Aspirant (215) Sep 25, 2008 Canada (NS)
    Trader

Yeah, Galaxy is no slouch.

ChicagoJ, Electros and polloenfuego like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.