Hamm's....Spend the $12.99?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Troutbeerbum, Dec 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,259) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

Yes to your question OP, but in my case, I get 30 packs for $11.99. Hamm's is always in my beer fridge. It tastes above average and saves me beer $$ that I can use on the good stuff. I like to mix it in as palate cleanser and my wife (and liver) thank me for maintaining a level head.

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,290) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Hamm's is my summer pool beer... Cheap, refreshing when it's sweltering, and it stays ice cold in my knock off Yeti can cooler. And yes, I slug it right out of the can while floating away. I don't have to think about it and I can buy a couple 24 packs and load the beer fridge up to so eliminate the "Damnit, I'm out of beer" syndrome.... Expect what it is and everything will be fine.....

3. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (54) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

From the land of sky blue waters...I mean, Milwaukee.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,147) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

And Irwindale, CA and Golden, CO* as well, at least according to MC , the owner of the brand since Miller bought it in 1999 from Pabst while those two brewers divied up the vast Heileman-Stroh portfolio (most of which went to Pabst).

To be fair, when Hamm's existed as an independent company, they had owned breweries in Baltimore, SF and LA in California and Texas. The brand would later be brewed in even more cities after being bought by Olympia and then by Pabst in the late 1970s-1980s.

MillerCoors announced recently that they are doing a big push for Hamm's likely since Miller's traditional "economy" brand, Milwaukee's Best, hasn't been doing so well - it made one of those annual "__ Beers Americans No Longer Drink" lists, which stated MB was MC's biggest barrelage loser, down nearly 60% in the 2000s.
    --- http://www.millercoorsblog.com/news/hamms-beer-resurgent/

Hamm's is brewed with Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose), Yeast, Hops - so, corn syrup as an adjunct, the same as all the other MC "economy-" and "premium-priced" brands, as well as most of the beers they brew for Pabst. It's likely the Hamm's recipe might even be the same as other beers - a former MC worker who used to post here (LAD) once noted that Pabst's brands brewed by MC - Stag, Old Milwaukee,Schmidt's & Black Label - were all the same beer.

* The MC site doesn't list Milwaukee as a brewing site for Hamm's (previously they had listed Ft Worth as a Hamm's source) - people can check the date code - 2nd and 3rd digit on second line -on MC products for actual origin of their beer:
    [​IMG]

#44 jesskidden, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  5. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,002) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I have come full circle on AAL's over my beer drinking life. I began drinking in the early 80's -- a time when there was no craft beer (at least in my area of the country). I quit drinking altogether for about 10 years from mid-80's to mid-90's. When I started again in 1996 their was a whole new world with some craft beer mixed in with all the AAL's at my local grocer. I branched out and started trying these. Within 2-3 years I became a total beer snob/asshole who not only drank "only" craft but who disdained anyone who dared to choose differently. Thankfully I met some wiser beer lovers who calmed me down and showed me that (almost) every beer has its place in the Pantheon of styles. So for the past 10 years or so I have become "Om-beer-vorous" - I will drink most any beer (with the exception of 'malt-ternatives' and light beers). I don't really track what my consumption of 'craft' vs 'AAL' vs 'imports' is anymore. I drink any and all of them and enjoy them all at various times. Hamm's is among the many that I find quite palatable.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,879) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

JK, I have a can of Hamm's sitting on my desk and it has a code of 08 so apparently my Hamm's beer was brewed in Trenton, OH.

Cheers!

P.S. For the interested reader I posted a discussion about Hamm's beer in last Sunday's NBS thread: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-670.552604/#post-5799290

miwestcoaster likes this.
  7. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,953) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Spend your money on something else.

Cheers!

8. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,385) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You'll drink 3 and the rest will probably sit for awhile. Hamm's isn't the worst beer, but it's pretty close.

VABA likes this.
  9. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,213) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

My son in college up in Chicago swears by Hamm's. I hear it's a pretty decent beer for the price point. I say go for it!

10. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

To the OP:

If you seriously walked away from AAL's, then move on from Hamm's. You will be disappointed.

As for the beer itself, it's not that bad. Actually, for what it is and the QPR...its pretty good. I drank it a few times in college, but it wasn't my go-to or something readily had in my area. Furthermore, there are far worse (less palatable) beverages out there labeled beer/malt liquor. I know; I have tried many of them.

Most people like a cheap date every once in a while. For what it is, you could do much worse.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. DrewSnyc667

DrewSnyc667 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2011 Massachusetts

Hamm's is the superior AAL. Huge fan over here!

nicholas2121 likes this.
  12. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Looking at the replies, it's amazing how many people don't bother reading the entire thread before responding.

nicholas2121, meanmutt and FBarber like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Where's the fun in that.

14. Boverhof3

Boverhof3 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2006 Michigan

Buy it. Good enough beer at a great price.

15. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

I usually see $9/12 pack or $15/24 pk at one place in town.. Pretty rare sighting.

Since that one blind sampling linked to in here, I gave it a shot. Turned out to be the one AAL that didnt give me hangover like head aches. Just enough malt flavor. Doesnt feel artificially sweet. I'll only buy the $15/24 pk when available. Other than that, I think there are better values out there

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  16. Troutbeerbum

Quietly clears throat and smiles smugly....

17. Troutbeerbum

Exactly. Though it should considering it is full of corn syrup. Towards the end of my Budweiser drinking days artificially sweet was the major turnoff. That and feeling like crap every time I drank one.

18. JackHorzempa

Society

Corn Syrup is fully fermentable. You will not taste corn syrup in a properly made beer.

I sorta get it that you have a prejudice against corn syrup as a beer ingredient but...

Cheers!

LuskusDelph and Troutbeerbum like this.
  19. Troutbeerbum

Yes, I do. In many things, along with GMO crap, etc. But keeping on task here, interesting to hear that as it ferments it's not noticable. I'm not being a wiseass here, what is responsible for the "fake sweet" taste in many AALs? In another post somewhere I likened it to those hideous orange circus peanut candy marshmallow things.

20. JackHorzempa

Society

I suspect that I will not be of much help to you with this specific query. I personally have never perceived the flavor of circus peanut candy in AAL beers (or any sort of beer for that matter).

While I drank plenty of AAL beers 'back in the day' (e.g., many decades ago) I do not remember tasting "fake sweet" in any of those beers. My memory, likely influenced by the beers I drink today, is that those AAL beers tasted more like nothing (watery?) than "fake sweet".

I can relate that I regularly brew what we homebrewers call a Classic American Pilsner - the popular beer that was consumed in America circa 1900. In that beer I use a grain bill of 80% North American 6-row malt and 20% corn (I used flaked maize). I do not pick up any "fake sweet" flavors in that beer.

Maybe some other BA can provide you with input on your query?

Cheers!

@jesskidden @Sixpoint @SierraTerence

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,147) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You seem to be confusing the heavily processed sweetener HFCS with the corn-based syrups, Glucose and Maltose, used as fermentable adjuncts in the brewing industry for well over a century in the US. As @JackHorzempa notes, those corn-based brewing ingredients are noted for being fully fermentable. (Not sure most would consider them "artificial", either.)

In the case of Budweiser, AB uses no corn syrup or any other corn-based products (grits, flakes) as an adjunct, the beer brewed with milled rice as its adjunct, probably the best-known rice-adjunct AAL.

22. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

I once brewed a beer using Saflager S-23 yeast that tasted and smelled just like those circus peanuts. I suspect you're picking something up from a yeast strain.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  23. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (320) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

When I need a break from craft or homebrew I get a 6 pack of hamms every other month. Way better than pbr to my taste.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  24. Troutbeerbum

So, is it yeast then in the big beers?

25. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,121) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

I suspect. I find Bud heavy has a more marshmallowy flavor from the yeast, but I could see picking up something like circus peanuts.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  26. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Can't go wrong with Hamm's. Beats Bud, Miller, and most of the rest in the style.

nicholas2121, LuskusDelph and KentT like this.
  27. Boverhof3

Boverhof3 Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2006 Michigan

Glad I made you smile, Cheers!

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  28. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (544) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Trader

Yes, I read the whole thing... with that said, I had the same conundrum when I saw it on shelves back in August. I put it off for a few weeks but eventually caved due to the price and that blind taste test article that's floating around. It's a simple beer, easy to drink, and not offensive at all, it's pretty much yellow fizzy water (in the best way possible). By the way, it works great as a base for a brine for pork or chicken too.

LuskusDelph and Troutbeerbum like this.
  29. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Have you ever had a chance to brew with corn syrups vs. the flaked maize and if so did you perceive any differences in flavor? Relatedly, is it more of a cost/ease of processing issue for the big boys to choose one over the other?

I generally prefer Miller products to Budweiser products so I've assumed that I prefer corn to rice as an adjunct. But then I had a 100% rice beer from Japan recently and thought that was pretty good, so who the hell knows.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

The short answer is: no, I have never brewed using corn syrup.

A longer answer is that none of the homebrew supply vendors that I buy my ingredients from sell Brewers Corn Syrup. But honestly if they did I still wouldn't buy it. I am very pleased with the contributions of flaked maize to my beers.
    That is a good question. Since I have never worked at a large scale lager brewery the best that I could do here is speculate:

I would guess that a decision to brew using corn syrup vs. other forms of corn (e.g., flaked maize, grits) would be based upon a few factors. One factor would be the economics: how cheap is corn syrup to brew with vs. the other forms of corn? I would think this would also be a function of the configuration of the brewery. For example, in order to brew with grits you need a second vessel beyond a mash tun called a cereal cooker. I took a tour of Spoetzel (Shiner) brewery and they have a large cereal cooker in their brewhouse.

I suspect that another factor is whether the brewery is looking for a flavor contribution from the corn and if so how much of a contribution. While I have no experience in brewing with corn syrup my guess would be that corn syrup would be the most flavor neutral of the various formats of corn.

I tagged a few folks below who likely are more knowledgeable on this topic than I am. Maybe they will provide further input.

Cheers!

@jesskidden @bergbrew @SierraTerence @Sixpoint @BillManley

LuskusDelph, Squire and meefmoff like this.
  31. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (403) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

yes. i read this article too, and a fellow clerk at the liquor store i moonlight at buys a case of this every few days, so i decided to try it. We sell it for 12.99 but I get a 20% employee discount on it. so it nets out at a little under $12 after tax--less than 50 cents a beer, for me.

I drank maybe 6 or 7 of them, they're all right. But it's still an AAL. I used another 4-5 making chili, and finally my stepson finished off the rest.

I do think it's better than the AALs I've drunk recently which include Coors Banquet, the pre-pro (or post-pro,whatever it was) Bud, and PBR.

ZAP and dennis3951 like this.
  32. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (121) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Ridiculous question.

The answer is yes.

miwestcoaster, rgordon and FBarber like this.
  33. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Hamms is the perfect beer for any first day of the year! I'll start in 2018.

PA-Michigander and Squire like this.
  34. BallantineBurton

BallantineBurton Initiate (85) Jan 22, 2012 Massachusetts

Hamms - From the Land of the Sky Blue Water; i.e., St. Paul, MN. In a previous life Hamms was one of the best beers produced in the Midwest - fully malty and a cut way above other local beers. But like most of the other regional beers, it has seen better days and better recipes. Anyway today Hamms is no doubt a cut above Bud or Light. I would drink it as my warm weather pounder but since I am in Mass, Narragansett will do.

LuskusDelph, KentT and Bitterbill like this.
  35. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,651) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

$11:10 at Wal-Mart in New Hampshire

36. omlooper

omlooper Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2008 Missouri
    Deactivated

Hamm’s, the beer refreshing...

Hamm’s, the beer refreshing...

Hamm’s..... dot dot dot dot........

nicholas2121 likes this.
  37. Michael91

Michael91 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2019

I'm into IPAs, but this is definitely my budget beer. I work at a Package store so I get a bit of a discount, when I saw we sold 24 of Hamms I got on that, 11.82 out the door . So that's a deal all day long . Great beer, smooth, taste a lot better than other cheap stuff . Drink it, its good.

38. tjwarren

tjwarren Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

Buy it. Get it really cold. Order a pepperoni pizza. Pour one into a frosted mug and get back to me.

39. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,923) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Buy that 30 PK, BB date is on the upper left of carton.I think Hamm's is a great AAL, $12.49 for a 30 pk is great I always have a some in the fridge. Its a nice change up and at4.5 % ABV has a crisp start and a smooth finish. It tastes especially good after an 12 % stout.

40. joeagain

joeagain Initiate (59) Jul 29, 2019 New Jersey

Go for it! This is my "go to" beer when I don't feel like a German import or something heavier.

For an inexpensive beer, it's pretty darn good!
    Price aside for now, it's better than Bud, PBR, Miller and others in the same category in my opinion, and at roughly 15 bucks for a 30 pack, it's a good deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.