Happenings in Cypress Tx

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by donspublic, Sep 20, 2018.

1. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,589) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

Well looks like Klaus Brewing will open on Friday the 21st and have their grand opening Saturday 22nd. And a little further out Craft Beer Cellar is trying to get final approvals to be opened for the weekend. One word, Nice. Klaus grand opening is a ticketed event, I originally said I wasn't going to go because it was $25 for a pint glass and 3 beers, which doing the math is all kinda wrong. But now buried in their facebook is a post that states it is $25 for a pint glass and 4 beers, which I like that math better. From Facebook

greenspointexas and ilikebeer03 like this.
  2. jngrizzaffi

jngrizzaffi Meyvn (1,338) Jan 30, 2013 Texas

CBC on Barker Cypress will be da bomb!! Will eventually have their own beer on tap as well.

3. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (837) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Fire Ant says their grand opening will be 10/5.

Twisted Acre says they're targeting mid-October.

All very exciting news for the Cypress area. Hopefully the beer is good and we finally have breweries near us.

greenspointexas and donspublic like this.
  4. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Disciple (334) Oct 15, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Hey we already have Wicked Boxer Brewing in Cypress. Just kidding they are terrible.

UHCougar12 and greenspointexas like this.
  5. Hoopdreama

Hoopdreama Initiate (117) Mar 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Also heardTwisted Acre in Cypress should be opening end of September/Early October

greenspointexas likes this.
  6. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Champion (898) May 14, 2013 Texas

Fire Ant is not gonna make it. Have you seen those clipart labels?! Yama Hama its fright night!

7. Hoopdreama

Hoopdreama Initiate (117) Mar 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Label art does look very amature

8. ilikebeer03

Agree - the label art is far from inspiring. But who knows, maybe the beer is good? I've seen the facility and it looks like they sunk a ton of money into it. I know that doesn't exactly translate to good beer but we'll see...

9. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Savant (931) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

Why your average home brewer shouldnt open a brewery - part 2 - electric boogaloo

canadianghetto and ilikebeer03 like this.
  10. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Savant (931) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

Looks like they actually went with the clip art. Lmao. Check the tap handles

11. ilikebeer03

Anyone been by Klaus or Fire Ant yet? Would be interested to hear opinions.

12. donspublic

Premium Trader

I stopped by Klaus on Friday right when they opened the doors, grabbed an Altbier and took it outside to drink, when I got up to leave, the place was packed. Beer was good, taproom was nice, good patio. Of course the bar area was hectic. The were doing the tokens, I couldn't just buy a token, had to buy 3. I hate the token shit, seems everyone does it until they figure out how to do things the proper way. I will go back to try the other beers on tap. The had the Altbier, Helles, Kolsch, Marzen, Hefe and an English IPA. So wanting a good pilsner on tap. Other than the token crap they seemed to have some carb issues on the beer lines. Not sure if it was affecting the final product though.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  13. ilikebeer03

Agree on wanting a good pils. Can’t imagine any self respecting German brewery doesn’t offer a pils, though....maybe eventually?

While I’m glad laws have changed and breweries are allowed to sell their product, I kind of like the token system. Makes it more of an ‘experience’ rather than just like being in a bar.

donspublic likes this.
  14. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Thanks for this, I may visit the place next weekend.

donspublic likes this.
  15. donspublic

Premium Trader

Yes I have waited for it for a long time and I probably had the 6th beer poured on Friday, and that was it. I had shit planned Saturday and Sunday and all this upcoming week. I hope to slip in there on next Sunday and just flippin relax for a while

16. Can_has_beer

Dang it Don, must have just missed you!

My opinion on Klaus....not perfect, but not bad. An indoor space will be nice, especially in the heat of summer. I had a pour of the Helles, I thought that one was very good. Also had the Altbier, which I thought could have had a touch more body. I tasted the Hefe, and it was extremely clove driven. I don't know what my thoughts would be on that one if I had a full pour. I also drank the English IPA to save my wife from it, fell on that sword for her. It was terrible. Absolutely offensive. That English IPA should have been pulled off the wall and never served in the first place. Definite flaws.

The old man behind the bar needs to learn how to pour a beer. And yes, get rid of the effin tokens for fucks sake.

donspublic likes this.
  17. donspublic

Premium Trader

Expound on the English IPA. What caused it to go south? A clove heavy Hefe could be a tough sell. I found the Altbier ok, but honestly I had 15 minutes so I pretty much slammed it down and hauled ass. I will try to go back Sunday, definitely want to try the Helles and Kolsch along with the Marzen. I will probably pass on the IPA, even though I do like an English IPA.

18. Can_has_beer

I was getting butanol or another fusel type of alcohol. Very unpleasant.

donspublic likes this.
  19. time4beer

time4beer Initiate (40) Aug 13, 2014 California

I'm going to be staying in Cypress at the end of next week. Any new opinions on Klaus or Fire Ant? Also, any other recommendations would be welcome for the Cypress area or Houston in general. I've done my research on breweries and some bars, but if anyone has some local tips that would be less obvious, that's mostly what I'm looking for. I'll be sure to hit up CBC, and Murdoch's seems to be a solid spot, from what I can tell. Not sure I'll make it into Houston proper (brother-in-law's family is in Cypress, and I have familial obligations), but I'm going to try my best.

20. donspublic

Premium Trader

so you have some options
    These 5 are on untappd, first 3 have food, last 2 don't but you can bring it
    Backyard Grill at Jones and West road has good taps, lots of stouts now
    Creekwood Grill at Telge has good taps (same owner) lots of stouts (both celebrated stout day). Super kid friendly
    Murdoch's enjoyed it when I went, but man it is a ways from my house
    Craft Beer Cellar at queenston/barker cypress intersection went tonite, nice vibe
    Brew: 30 further down Telge, good place to chill

Breweries
    11 Below, solid beers, good crowd and always food trucks
    Klaus, respectable, the helles, altbier and kolsch are ok
    Twisted Acre, not open I don't think, they have been trying to open for a few years
    Bearded Fox, never been, love their pils and their DIPA is good
    Honestly, find a reason to go downtown if you want to hit a brewery. I seriously can't send enough people to Holler. They will have a good selection of styles and usually about half are 5.5% or less. I was there this weekend and couldn't stop drinking Houston Triple Craft. Enjoy your stay here

21. ilikebeer03

22. donspublic

Premium Trader

The Shack on Cypress Rosehill? That is the only one left open now

23. ilikebeer03

yep - shack on cypress rosehill.

24. time4beer

Thanks to both of you! I'll be sure to check out as many of these as I can. There's a good chance I'll be able to find my way downtown, and I'll be sure to check out Holler if I do.

donspublic likes this.
  25. donspublic

Premium Trader

Hey FYI Holler has a special event going on Black Friday Morning. I am angling to go there, their Barley Wine is solid.

26. time4beer

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm only going to be there the 15th-18th. If I make it into downtown it would be this Friday.

27. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,314) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Premium

Holler also started doing $3 select pints for happy hour...
    Wednesday-Friday, 4-6.
    Was the Brown Ale, and Dollar Pils today. I can drink my weight in both, so I'm happy :slight_smile:

donspublic and NotJBeez like this.
  28. donspublic

Premium Trader

I see in your other thread you were looking at going to Spindletop or Ingenious (guess you were wanting to check out local NEIPA), @champ103 pointed out the hop stop, but in Cypress currently
    Backyard Grill has
    Double Splat - Ingenious
    Fruity Pebbles - Great Heights (good beer)
    Creekwood Grill
    Juiceton - Spindletap
    Fruity Pebbles - Great Heights (good beer)
    Quakers Dream - Ingenious
    Pussy Wagon - Brash (not a NEIPA, but solid IPA)
    Craft Beer Cellar
    Juicy IPA - Celis
    420 Strain G13 IPA - Sweetwater (GA) (straight up smells like weed)
    Yellow Rose - Lone Pint (not a NEIPA, but solid IPA)

29. time4beer

Thanks again for all the recommendations! I ended up getting to do nearly no beer related things. I was only able to make it to Ingenious and Holler. Didn't even make it to a restaurant or tap room with reasonable selection. Too many family related obligations that I wasn't expecting... Hopefully I'll get another chance in the future.

Holler was great! My incredibly picky Bud Light drinking father, who occasionally enjoys a hefeweizen or witbier, liked their hef a lot. My sister and I each had an IPA, and my mother had a stout. All were very well done examples, and the space had a great vibe.

donspublic likes this.
  30. donspublic

Premium Trader

Sometimes it just doesn't work. What did you think of Ingenious, I haven't made it out there yet