1. Retroman40

Retroman40 Crusader (753) Dec 7, 2013 Florida
    Society

...or at least faded into obscurity? It seems that back around the beginning of the year they were popping up everywhere. They were even featured in Zymurgy Magazine. Now - crickets. At my store we recently "dumped" SN Brut Zero (marked down to 7.99 for a 12 pack - believe me you can make ANY beer move if you drop the price enough) and yesterday we put Abita Stratosbeer out at 3.99 for a 6 pack (and it'll be gone quickly too). My favorite local place brewed it once but never again. Is there even any interest in this style anymore? I kind of like them myself but if they die I can always brew it myself (the Zymurgy Magazine article had a couple good recipes and I've already made it once).

JediMasterLenin and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I wasn't aware it was ever alive.

3. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,742) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Do we bury dead styles? Or annul them, like they never happened?

4. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (528) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Judging by what IPA's are coming through most of the local breweries here, which is retro childhood without the fake id. Brut IPAs got drowned out for shelf space by brightly colored double dry hopped lactose infused opaque whimsy.

5. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (189) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Had exactly one in my life, enjoy by 1/01/19 Brut. The brut aspect muted what I like about that beer.. seems silly to me.

JohnnyHopps, alucard6679 and Roguer like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,940) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’m seeing a lot more Lagers and Pils, not so much with Brut and NE IPAs, they seem to have slowed down a lot.

Lone_Freighter, Billet and AlcahueteJ like this.
  7. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,521) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

Brut IPA’s...they aren’t horrible, they just aren’t as good.

8. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,364) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Spot on. They just need to start adding lacotose to Brut IPA, put them on Four packs of 16oz cans and charge $20 for them.

9. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I did enjoy all 3 that I drank but looking at the shelves here very few others did.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  10. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,963) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If so, I will apparently be among the few mourning their passing. I liked both them & their spicy CANterparts, White IPAs, but I always seem to be on the wrong side of history.

On the other hand, I rejoiced when the Black/Cascadian IPA style finally went out of vogue since I always felt like the roasted malts either got in the way of or simply trampled over the all-important hops.

11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I don't think it became a thing for folks. My one local guy still makes their series but it is not flying out the door at all. My guess is its coming to an end.
    Cheers

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,648) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Craft Beer Prime Directive: look elsewhere for finesse and subtlety :wink:.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,351) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

We bury our dead and annul our marriages.

14. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,064) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

At my store we gave the style a Viking Funeral. I loaded up a shopping cart with the Bruts we had left on the shelf and wrapped the whole thing in pine tar soaked linens then lit it on fire. I then had one of the stock boys ghost sail it across the parking lot while blowing on a rams horn and shouting "Beware Valhalla! A fallen style is entering the Hall of Heroes!"

Personally I'm neutral on the style. I can take it or leave it but the curiosity phase is over for most folks and it is reflected in declining sales.

Dandrewjohn, kuhndog, bmugan and 13 others like this.
  15. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (206) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I've had exactly 1, and it was on accident. Ordered a Sam Pain IPA from Country Boy brewing at Mellow Mushroom when I was in Kentucky last summer. It wasn't bad, but there was no indication of it being a Brut IPA on the menu, and I looked it up because the taste was a bit different. That was the first I ever heard of the style.

I don't care that they are out there, much like Lactose IPA's and other styles I don't care for; I just choose not to buy them.

MountainWanderer and LuskusDelph like this.
  16. Jimbob-gbr

Jimbob-gbr Initiate (93) Apr 18, 2017 Nebraska

They didn't ever have much for brut around here but a local brewery does a hibiscus brut ipa as a regular beer and it is delicious. One of my favorites by them and a few people I know like it a lot as well

17. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (498) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

They should have little graveyards for retired/dead flavors at breweries... like Ben + Jerrys does.

I'm still seeing Brut IPAs come into Total Wine. IMO Brut IPA should be like a "year end" IPA because it reminds me of champagne (New Years). Seeing them at summer is weird to me.

Ericness likes this.
  18. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,607) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I like them better than stuff that tastes like a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice and buy them when I see them.

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I like them. My area supports a lot of different styles and I hope this one stays part of the local rotations.

20. islay

islay Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I actually was thinking based on my last few visits to bottle shops that it's surprising just how many Brut IPAs are on the shelves given how little enthusiasm I've seen for the substyle. However, I wouldn't be surprised if those are a bunch of 2018 bottlings/cannings that are lingering around.

Brut IPAs typically are low in bitterness and utilize juicy hops expressions, but they're technically very dry (although the juicy hops can make them read as pseudo-sweet). The apparent commercial failure of Brut IPAs suggests to me that 1) the sweetness from the residual sugars, not the hops effects, is the single biggest driver of the popularity of NEIPAs (as Brut IPAs typically share the hops flavors or lack thereof with NEIPAs) and 2) people looking for alternatives to NEIPAs don't necessarily want juicy hops with low bitterness. "Enjoyed by neither NEIPA fans nor NEIPA haters" is an unfortunate niche for an IPA in the market.

21. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (702) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I just thought the style was "OK" but I would hate to see it go away like Black/White IPAs. Variety is good.

22. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I've never really liked them, so I'm okay with this. Most remind me of IPL, which I also don't care for.
    Feels like EVERYONE hopped on this bandwagon and fast. Both hazy and bright focused breweries seem to make them in equal amounts. My grocery store shelves are stocked with dozens of examples from all of the big names, but I don't really see anyone buying any of them.

Lone_Freighter and AlcahueteJ like this.
  23. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,227) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

While I have never had this style, the question made me think of one style I did enjoy: Black IPA. Whatever happened to it?

24. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (206) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I was a big fan of the style. There's still some out there, but getting harder to locate.

JediMasterLenin and VoxRationis like this.
  25. jjboesen

jjboesen Meyvn (1,227) Feb 1, 2002 Maryland

I loved the one from Firestone Walker..... ahhhhhh!

alucard6679 and JediMasterLenin like this.
  26. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (201) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

It was a style that got massively hyped up by the beer media despite there being not much of a market for it, causing breweries to overestimate what the actual market for it was and they all jumped on a bandwagon that didn't exist.

With no actual market for the beer the flare up of offerings we saw came and quickly went away as they didn't sell.

Long story short, wait for something to actually sell before jumping in yourself and making it on a commercial scale.

27. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I think a lot of breweries realized they waited to long to jump in with the juicy NEIPA's and when they heard about this even newer style they wanted to be first in on it, in whatever location they happened to be in. Then it didn't hit as hard as the NEIPA trend, and of course they made a correction and we are starting to see less of them now. Maybe if some hip brewery were making these early on and people had to wait in line for them, they would still be going strong. Though since it seems a lot of places started making this right away the hype didn't have time to simmer and bubble for a while (this is just my conjecture and opinion, nothing else). Personally, I liked the handful that I have had both locally (Holler, Great Heights, Saint Arnold) and from the larger regional breweries (Sierra Nevada, Omegang). I'll continue to drink these when I see them, if they are fresh that is.

28. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (201) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

They didn't sell as most just weren't good and tasted like cardboard that was somehow both burnt and soggy. A few were good but it's a lot harder to make a good black IPA than it is to make a hazy juice bomb so as the local hazeboi breweries started gaining market share the style died off since it probably takes more than three years of brewing experience to make a good black IPA.

Was more of a supply side issue than a demand issue imo.

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,154) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dave, are any of the breweries in your area producing a year-round Brut IPA?

Cheers!

30. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,471) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I’ve had 9 and really enjoy the style. As with anything, there is a range of quality, some much better than others. I suspect it’s a tricky style for the brewer.

They are still all over the place in LA.

dcotom and stevepat like this.
  31. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I mean, this website made it a distinct beer style and Sierra freakin' Nevada made a nationally distributed version! It was crowned as the Next Big Thing before it even got to be A Thing.

Am I remembering correctly that some of the early attention-getting versions of this "style" were bottle conditioned to a high level of carbonation with brett? That sort of IPA-champagne concept actually does seem pretty cool to me, but that's also clearly a fringy, experimental thing that your tiny local fancy-pants artisanal brewery puts out a few hundred bottles at a time. That so many people who should know better saw it as the exact opposite of that is genuinely mystifying to me.

I don't know. Maybe the real brut IPAs are the friends we made along the way.

JimboBrews54 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  32. cavedave

Trader

No, just in rotations and as seasonal releases. This is fine with me, so long as they continue.

TrojanRB and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. JackHorzempa

Society

Is this a sign they are not 'fully committed' to this beer style or is producing beers on a rotating basis (e.g., the Tired Hands business model) just how they do things?

Cheers!

34. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (777) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I hope so. Terrible beer style. Never had one worth trying a second time.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  35. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Same. I think a lot of people saw it as a similar fad. I really liked them and I still do.
    Thing is, when those died it feels like they took their cousin "American Stout" with them. Hoppy dark beers are nearly on life support. We need a trendy brewery to go all-in and make them cool again.

KentT and TongoRad like this.
  36. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (779) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

We have two year round offerings. Seems like a difficult style based on the misses. What sudwerk is doing with ipl right now might well displace all the light ipa styles though

37. zid

zid Meyvn (1,332) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I somewhat agree with your take but your last line is a bit like a chicken an egg situation. In this case, brewers took the opposite approach of the above because they wanted to be first to market. If the consumer attitude was "I'll try it to see what it is and then probably move on," then those brewers might have made the right choice even if it's purely a short-term one.
    Also regarding your last line in this post, that thinking doesn't explain why Wookey Jack and Sublimely Self-Righteous aren't in stores these days.

38. islay

islay Aspirant (289) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Black IPAs are doubly inaccessible, with typically aggressive, piney, bitter hops and substantial, dark and/or roasted malt flavor. They're the opposite of what the newer craft beer drinkers who have flooded the scene in the last half decade or so are craving (sweet and familiar flavors with minimal challenging bitterness).

If you haven't noticed, the entire industry has drastically shifted to accommodate the massive collective sweet tooth of newer craft beer drinkers. The wacky neon labels of IPA cans scream about how "juicy" the beer is, and stout labels now feature long lists of pandering flavoring adjuncts that sound more like ice cream toppings (chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, coconut, cherry, etc.).

39. cavedave

Trader

No, that's pretty much the pattern around here for all but the best sellers, so just how they do things.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  40. JackHorzempa

Society

I have noticed lately (over the past year or so) that more and more of the small, local breweries here are doing the 'one off' and 'rotating' thing (but not to the extreme extent of Tired Hands*). I suppose by keeping things 'fresh' this keeps the haze bros and tickers happy?

Cheers

*For the past 5 weeks or so Tired Hands has been providing weekly releases of Peach Milkshake IPA (I acquired one yesterday). I think this is an interesting switch for them. I wonder what the Haze Bros are thinking about this continuity of brewing?:thinking_face:

cavedave likes this.