Headed (Mid) West...MN, actually

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by LumpkinBrews, Aug 10, 2018.

1. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Aspirant (238) Aug 30, 2013 Arizona
    Trader

On my way to MAN as we speak. Will stay in Chicago City, though definitely making a trip to Twin Cities. Any hidden gems with regards to BottleShops and/or Breweries? I'm sure I'll hit up Surly and doubtful I'll make it out to Rochester....

2. islay

islay Initiate (186) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

"Hidden" gems among breweries:

Minneapolis:
    • Sisyphus (western edge of downtown): Very strong and versatile little spot
    • Fair State (Northeast): Getting pretty big and respected now, but I don't know how far its reputation stretches. Remarkably strong across a variety of styles, most notably German styles and sours.
    • Wild Mind (South Minneapolis): Not as hidden as it used to be, but strong in sour and wild ales
    St. Paul:
    • 12welve Eyes (downtown/Lowertown): Very strong and versatile little spot
    • Waldmann (near downtown): Brews excellent examples of German styles and has a fantastic venue that is a faithfully restored 19th century saloon
    • Bang (close to Surly): Brews well-executed, organic beers in the Anglo-American tradition and has a very cool, unique venue in a grain bin
    Surly, Waldmann, and Bang are my top three recommendations to visitors, partly because I know unique venue and atmosphere tends to be especially appreciated by travelers.

Let me know if you're interested in options in suburbs.

3. TrailsandAles

TrailsandAles Initiate (49) Sep 10, 2014 Minnesota

If you like IPAs , go to Barrel Theory in St Paul.

4. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Initiate (146) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

your driving from Chicago to the twin cities? if so you could stop at a few places in WI along the way.

How much time do you have?
    If you go to Surly and Bang might want to stop at Black Stack it's close by.

5. LumpkinBrews

Trader

Solid! I just landed in MN. All sound great! I've got some work cut out for me. Thanks!

6. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

islay and eggsurplus like this.
  7. LumpkinBrews

Trader

Hah damn auto correct... MN (Minnesota) and Chisago City, yes

8. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (132) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota

Go to barrel theory in saint Paul. They're one of the hotter breweries in the area right now. They specialize in hazy IPAs, fruited berliners and stouts if that's up your alley.

9. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,156) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

Hammerheart specializes in dark and smokey beers. They were all the rage here a few years back before tastes turned to fruity and hazy beers.

eggsurplus likes this.
  10. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

#10 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  11. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (75) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Smoked barrel aged hazy IPA is the future