Headed to Destin

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by jkn09, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this, but here goes: I'm headed to Destin next week and want to pick up some goods. Where's the best place to go? I'm looking for anything Cigar City specifically, but I'm up for other locals that I can't get in TX. Thanks!

2. weaverr

weaverr Initiate (195) Jun 10, 2008 California

Chan's Wine World is the best bottle shop you'll find in the area. I was down there last fall and they had plenty of Jai Alai and Florida Cracker in cans, as well as their Brew Bus collaborations or whatever you call those.

3. wiltznucs

wiltznucs Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 Florida

Can't recommend anything in the Destin area but if you are driving across via I-10 through Mobile you should definitely hit Cottage Hill Package Store. Good place to nail down some Westbrook and other locals.

4. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

5. seavercm

seavercm Aspirant (278) Feb 6, 2013 Washington

I was just there last week. The Wine World near Destin Commons seemed to have the best selection of the bunch. I was able to pick some Bear Republic stuff (Racer 5, Apex, Stout) that we can't get in GA. I also grabbed some Black Xantus. Unfortunately the Cigar City selection was pretty slim there and throughout Destin. There was some Jai Alai but that was about it. You might find some Maduro if you're lucky since some places usually carry it and were just out.

6. ashellen

ashellen Initiate (107) Mar 26, 2009 Virginia

if you are taking a break for lunch, stop at harbor docks. really good food and typically 4 good lunch specials. can sit on the deck and look at the water / boats

http://www.harbordocks.com/

ZMWTally likes this.
  7. weaverr

Oh that reminds me. We were out walking along that Harborwalk area headed east and came along a little harbor-side building that had about 20-25 taps and was mostly craft. I have no idea what it was called, we just saw the taps from the walkway and checked it out. On Google Maps, I think it's around the place labeled "Two Sticks Sushi Bar" in that clump of buildings right on the water.

8. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (79) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Bumping an old thread here. I am heading to the Panhandle in a week and a half and would love any recommendations on bars/restaurants with good craft beer selections. I'm not as interested in bottle shops as I don't plan on bringing anything home with me. I will be staying near Seaside but making trips to both Destin and Panama City Beach while I am in town. Thanks for any tips!!

9. will_eye_e

will_eye_e Aspirant (258) Jul 29, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Connected to Chan's Wine World in Destin is the Craft Bar. Never been there, but the prices for food and drink seem reasonable. I think they have around 30 taps and do crowler fills. They also opened another location in Panama City. Grayton Beer is a brewery in South Walton (between Destin and Panama City) that recently opened a tap room. I don't believe they serve food, but they occasionally have a food truck come by on Saturdays.

SasquatchB2 likes this.
  10. weaverr

The little grocery store / market in Seaside actually serves draft beer and has a surprisingly interesting (but small) bottle selection. If the weather is nice in Destin, there's an Airstream that serves craft beer called The Other End but I haven't been there yet. Also I think there might be a World of Beer open now. Not sure on Panama City.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure that place I mentioned on the Harborwalk is closed now. Seemed vacant this past November.

11. will_eye_e

Trader

To piggyback off of @weaverr , the little grocery store he mentioned is called Modica Market. Also, WOB in Destin is open and is located in the Destin Commons. I was talking to a co-worker during lunch and he mentioned Fishale is a pretty decent spot in Panama City.

12. SasquatchB2

SasquatchB2 Initiate (79) Jan 12, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Thank you for the tips! Has anyone been to the Growler Garage in Santa Rosa Beach?

13. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Disciple (394) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia

In Panama City Beach I would agree on Fishales. Also Craft Bar. For a good to go beer selection Qwiker Liquor. I found a few real gems at Modica Market in Seaside.

14. will_eye_e

Trader

First I heard of this place. Looks like it opened a little over a month ago. If you're in Destin, you should check out McGuire's. I haven't been to the location in Destin in years, but I frequent the one in Pensacola and always have a good experience. I think their beer is around average, but if you want a real treat, order an Irish Wake.

15. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

Bumping this one up. I'll be in Destin in a few weeks. Any other tips for food? Really good burgers or steaks anywhere? I'm not much of a seafood eater. Really interested in the Crowler fills, do they post what they are serving anywhere? I didn't see a taplist on their website. Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks All!

16. will_eye_e

Trader

McGuires is a good place to get your burger / steak fix. Here is the Craft Bar draft list. They call out that their list might not be up-to-date, but it gives you an idea on what they may have on tap.

17. Blazer06

Blazer06 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2008 Florida

Steak at McGuires.

18. jessehurlburt

jessehurlburt Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2014 Connecticut

I'd love to see them have the Jai Alai on tap when I'm down there. I wonder how frequently they have it on tap. How is the can distro of Jai Alai around Destin? Any suggestions on best places to find it fresh? Any other local hop forward beers I should be on the lookout for?

19. will_eye_e

Trader

I'm pretty sure JA is a main staple on the draft list at that place. Chan's, which is attached to Craft Bar, is from what I have been told, the area's largest CCB account. They probably get fresher allotments of CCB than we do in Pensacola, but I could be wrong. We just received our share of JA dated 4/15 and that's probably the freshest I've seen in a couple months, so I'm assuming they have that batch as well. They tend to get a lot of Prairie offerings too, so be on the lookout if that interests you.

As for hop forward locals, I think Divide and Conch'r by Idyll Hounds might be your best bet. I looked on Untappd and both Craft Bar and Growler Garage had it on tap.

20. weaverr

Chan's Wine World will have a ton of Cigar City. Every time I've picked it up, it has been a couple weeks old.

21. jeevo

jeevo Aspirant (241) Nov 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Does anyone know if Mexican Cake gets sold anywhere near Destin or Niceville? I'm here for the week on vacation. I'll also be heading up to New Orleans for a few nights so if it is available anywhere around here, let me know too.

Thanks!

22. weaverr

Westbrook isn't distributed in Florida, Mississippi or Louisiana. Alabama gets it but it was released a week early there so it's probably gone by now. I can speak to that far south in Georgia if you were going to drive north...

23. Seanc1783

Seanc1783 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Florida

There is a new ABC fine wine and spirits in destin. They have had the whole line up of cigar city. Give them a shot.

24. Shaunbkgb

Shaunbkgb Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Florida

The Jai-Alai that is around right now was canned in mid-May. Chan's is by far the best beer spot in the area. At the craft bar attached they had a Founders tap takeover on Thursday with Backwoods Bastard, KBS and CBS on tap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.