Headed to Little Rock

Discussion in 'South' started by Abbbp, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbbp

Abbbp Crusader (706) Mar 9, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Howdy to my fellow BA's in Arkansas.

I'll be heading your way this weekend thru Xmas, ugh the in-laws have a monopoly on this time of year so the journey begins. I'd love to meet some of y'all of y'all and talk good beer- if y'all could point me in the right direction as to good watering holes anywhere between Conway and Little Rock I'll be much obliged.

Also I know you guys get Prairie and Evil Twin (we get Prairie but TABC makes their stuff slow to get to us) any notable places I should stop by to pick some of those and others up? I'd Love to try local stuff and other mandatory brews while I'm there.

And of course, I'd love to bring some stuff up to trade, Black Ops I got, Jester King, etc, just let me know if there is anything I can do to help spread the holiday cheer. BM if you'd like to keep it private, otherwise I'd like to get a good conversation going on this thread

Cheers my friends

2. capnamerica

capnamerica Devotee (427) Feb 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Flying Saucer and Mellow Mushroom both offer a nice selection. Stones Throw Brewing just opened in LR, and they have an open taproom that also carries other local brews (including Prairie last I checked).

If you pass through Northwest Arkansas there are several local breweries you can visit. Most of them will be available in the LR area too. I'd look for Ozark Beer, Fossil Cove, and Core. Saddleebock is fairly popular, but it has never really impressed me.

3. Abbbp

Beer Trader

Awesome, NW a lil bit to far for me, but thanks for the tips

4. capnamerica

capnamerica Devotee (427) Feb 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

No problem. You should be able to locate most of those NWA breweries in the Central Arkansas area. Let me know how it turns out.

5. Abbbp

Beer Trader

Oh for sure, just got to little rock yesterday, first store I walk into has BA Raspy XV sitting in the shelf. I have never seen them in Texas like that, so I was very happy.

Plus it already made the trip to the in-laws worth it. Stones Throw jaw said on their website they're open today and have guest "central & NW Arkansas" brews on tap, so I should get a nice score in.

Love it. Any stores I should hit up in particular? I've heard colonial is decent

capnamerica likes this.
  6. BrewAskew

BrewAskew Meyvn (1,424) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma

Colonial in West LR and Springhill in NLR are the best stores for selection.

As for Conway, you have to get your "last chance" in at the county line.
    lake liquor at the morgan exit between conway and LR has a good selection.

7. Abbbp

Beer Trader

Yea I was at lake liquor yesterday, they do have a solid selection. Very impressive

8. Mbpike

Mbpike Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2013 Arkansas

Man I wish I was at home, I'd drink some brews with you. I live about 10 minutes out of Conway. I usually do most of my beer shopping at Colonial and make stops at Lake Liquor on the way home just because it's easy. I've not tried Springhill yet but I hear decent things about it. And if you're in Little Rock after the holiday you can stop in Diamond Bears retail store and see what they have.

9. Abbbp

Beer Trader

Oh nice I'll be here until Friday, let me know if you're in town and we'll share some brew-ha-ha

10. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Love Saddlebock Dirty Blonde.

11. jcdgoad

jcdgoad Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2008 Arkansas

A new shipment of Evil Twin just hit town. You should be able to find the brand new beers: Bozo, Hop Flood, and The Cowboy. There is also a very limited amount of Even More Jesus. Green Flash Palate Wrecker just hit the shelves, and Off Color Brewing out of Chicago has just landed. Scurry and Troublesome are available and both are awesome!! There are still a few 3 liter bottles or Prairie Elizabeth around and a few bottles of Prairie Christmas. Last but not least Hermitage Ryetopia is awesome. It's a barley wine aged in Whiskey barrels for a full year. It is fantastic!!

12. thewrongtone

thewrongtone Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2006 Texas

I hope you went to Stone's Throw.

Too late, I know.

13. Abbbp

Beer Trader

Sho did, cool place, great guest taps too

thewrongtone likes this.
  14. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Poo-Bah (1,684) Nov 12, 2003 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

My dad was in town and wanted to see LR. Drive him down from NWA and did an abbreviated sort of Clinton Scandal Tour and showed him State House, LR Central, other key places, quikc tour of the Clinton Library, etc.
    My reward was getting to have late lunch and 2 beers at Flying Saucer and a quick stop at Spinghill.
    Did manage to have a Stone's Throw, it was a Black IPA, Black Magnum or something like that. Had a pretty solid flavor profile but had just a slight off-flavor. Could not tell if it was yeast or even water issue. wasn't undrinkable at all, just something a hair off.
    Have to admit was a little disappointed in Springhill. Picked up a few Evil Twin and a Prairie I had not seen before but the place seemed highly picked over and not really much selection on the shelf. Have to try Colonial when and if I get back again.
    Rare whole day spent with my dad, nice lunch and overall great day.

thewrongtone likes this.
  15. thewrongtone

Springhill used to be better, and colonial is about 10-15% marked up. I've actually been surprised by Ace Liquor between Jacksonville and Cabot. They don't really offer much high-end stuff, but there's a good selection of regional and national standards.

I really want to move back for friends and family, but my craft addiction will suffer a bit.

16. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Devotee (468) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Springhill looks like the milk and bread isle after they call for snow here, Colonial has a lot nicer store ,better employees and more beer , and from what I've seen the prices have been the same , have not saw a mark up from them to Springhill

17. thewrongtone

I absolutely agree Colonial is the better spot, but I definitely noted a price difference when I was there in Oct.

Two examples come to mind, although not a comparison to Springhill: Ace Liquor had Schlafly Pumpkin for 9.99/6 and Colonial was 11.39. Ace also had Ethos IPA for 8.99 and colonial wanted 10.99.

I also saw similar low prices at Grapevine.

18. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

I purchased two bottles each of IBS Natale , IBS and Justin Blaeber and noted they were all the same price , just a lot fewer bottles at springhill , may be hit and miss on the prices

19. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

How about ya mule some Sixpoint Resin back with ya next time you come to Arkansas???? That sure is some tasty stuff , the best beer I bought in Texas I believe

20. LittleRockBeer

LittleRockBeer Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Arkansas

I agree with the above posts about Springhill...always highest priced in the market for just about everything and the main "beer guy" is a bit of a jerk. I only go to Springhill as last resort...

Colonial has the best selection in LR but they also are priced higher than most stores in the area. I go there for more limited release items because they get everything that comes to the LR market. The beer guys at Colonial are really nice and helpful.

I like Grapevine and Metro (Markham/Chenal) for most purchases as they have the best prices in LR (anywhere to $1-5 cheaper than Colonial or Springhill) and they have a pretty good selection. Metro even has a Craft Beer Day on Wednesdays with 10% off...

21. thewrongtone

I could definitely do that. I haven't seen any lately, though.

22. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

I bought a shitload of it in San Antonio this past summer , not sure if I saw any around Dallas or not but man I kick myself in t he nuts for not buying more of that love juice

23. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Crusader (782) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm heading down next Wednesday and need a good bottle shop. Has anything changed recently?

24. Abbbp

Beer Trader

I was there two weeks ago and the beer guide through BA is pretty spot on... Fun place where you can forget about chasing Whaelz and just drank some good brew

25. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Well forget about bringing some Resin back because we get it now , but if anyone wants some advice on a beer locale to hit while in Little Rock I suggest you go by Lost Forty , this place has some of the best beer and food in town , I was super surprised by the quality of brew they are producing , a really great up and coming brewer

BrewAskew and jcdgoad like this.
  26. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (167) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

Yeah, I got banned since that offer. I'm back. Glad Sixpoint is in AR, something to look forward to upon my triumphant return. How is Stone's Throw doing? I was impressed when I went about a year and a half ago.

27. ubenumber2

Beer Trader

Stones Throw is good , not great. I was really impressed with Lost Forty , every beer I had was on point , they are going to really give all the other locals a run , I was there close to closing time on Sunday Night and they were still busy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.