Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Germany Heading Back to Munich/Bamberg at last

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Domingo, Jun 4, 2013.

1. boddhitree

Last night at Monks:
    They don't have wifi at Monks, so I couldn't report until now. First, their listed beers on the Internet don''t match the actual menu, so I was disappointed I wasn't able to try my first Pliny. Second, we only tried beers that were on the on tap menu. Third, the food was good. Inhad a huge, juicy burger, the homemade fried were delicious but way too much, and my g/f had the Ceasars Salad, mummbling something about a diet. Our table neighbors had 2 buckets of mussels, and the aroma was enticing, but i wanted meat from a mammel.

Beer: They did have Russian River's Blind Pig. I ordered that for the g/f and for me, the Port Wipe Out. The BP was great, needed more malt backbone IMO, but wow. The PWO was maltier but not as citrusy, more bitterness, though. I preferred the PWO, my g/f the PB. The PWO was really, really süffig, for the pint glass was empty within minutes though I was trying to appreciate its complexity. Next, I thought I'd give a US Pils a try. They had Soudt's Pilsner, and I was disappointed. I thought it was hoppy enough with Noble hops but the mouthfeel was not nearly up to par with even an Oettinger. It was "weak" and thin. The Pils malts also lacked something. I didn't take notes, so this is the morning after. Basically, a weak imitation of a German Pils. I tried another IPA: Boneyard Nefarious. At 10.5%, it wasn't noticeable and hid it well, though it killed my sobriety. It was hugely citrusy but not super bitter. Finally, I wanted a Belgium style. Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale was WOW. They say it was brewed for them outside Ghent; it was super lovely malty, tasted like lots Special B. hops were light in the background. The foam head's creaminess was almost eternal. It stayed tight through almost to the end of the glass. It tasted like Kriek (cherry), but not overly sweet. I detected virtually no sourness, neithr lactic nor acetic, as advertised on the menu. But it was still there slightly maybe, probably held back the malt and fruit sweetness from being overpowering. This was my favorite beer of the night. It was the perfect dessert, though it wasn't a dessert beer.

All 3 IPAs were great, though each had their strengths, I still couldn't get over the fact that my super-whirl pooled Axis and Allies IPA is hands down better. In the commercial IPAs, I miss the honey malt notes of the Abbey malt and Münchner malt's caramel. The hops add such complex fruitiness that I get so many different answers to which fruit flavor they detect. I've gotten people insisting they taste strawberry, pear, marakuja, grapefruit, and more.

2. steveh

I always suggest a trip to the HB for cultural history-sake -- then take a thirst-inducing stroll over the Isar to the HB Keller -- lots of locals there and a very laid-back atmosphere.

3. steveh

Wait, you jumped from a 6.10 IPA to a 5.4 Pils? Just a little bassackward and I don't doubt that the Pils was disappointing. Try it again a fresh palate.

4. Gutes_Bier

If you have the time/ability, also check out the Khyber Pass Pub, Eulogy, and maybe Brauhaus Schmitz. If you need a break from beer, I think you're hotel is near The Continental Midtown, a martini bar. I'll let your Google skills take over from here.

5. boddhitree

Hey, it is what it was. Don't worry, I had a super spicy sauce for the Pommes Frites to cleanse my palate. You can't make up for weak mouthfeel and thinness and a lack of decent Pils malt flavors, no matter how isolated you drink it. Damn I'm glad I tried those IPAs, though. :cool:

I'll look for the KP Pub, but I won't hunt it down if it's not where we're near - won't be able to convince the g/f. Don't like martinis. Yuck. Stick with beer/wine.

6. steveh

But you can't judge that it truly was weak and thin with all the other pollution on your palate!

I knew of a brewmaster in Nuremberg back in the early 80s who, at home, would never serve his beer with food -- because the food would ruin the flavor of his beer!

Oh, and I'm glad you got to try the IPAs too, just don't go trying to evaluate a Saison or something delicate afterward! ;)

7. Gutes_Bier

It's not near your hotel, but it is near the Constitution Center (I think?) and not horribly far from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. I'm trying to think what might be nearer to your hotel. It's been awhile since I've been in those parts.

8. steveh

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Khyber Pass is basically a 14 block walk (about 15 minutes). They have a good selection of beer and the food is very good; New Orleans style. My favorites are the Shrimp Etoufee and the Gumbo. There are lots of other good beer places about a block away from the Khyber: Eulogy, Triumph, Irish Pol, etc.

Lots of great beer places in Philly!

Cheers!

10. FrankenBier

Stöhrenkeller did some very good Thai food on Saturday and Sunday nights. Michael told me he was suspending it for the summer and would start up again in September.

11. rkat32

Subscriber

Have a great time (once again) in Munich as well as Bamberg. I'll be in Munich at the end of June for a two-day beercation after a business trip in Austria. Time permitting, I hope to hit all the major players within the city limits. Augustinerkeller, Weisses Brauhaus, Speis & Trank, Andechs (am Dom), Augustiner Braustueben and Forschungsbrauerei are all on my list. I'll probably even swing by the Hofbrauehaus for nostalgic purposes.

I've been to Munich a number of times but never for beer-centric pursuits! Can't wait. Prost!

12. steveh

How the heck did you swing that? Munich is built on beer -- you can't walk a block without being grabbed by another advertisement for the libation!

You, my friend, must be very disciplined! ;)

13. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

My first time to Munich was on a bit of a whim. I hoped to get some good beers, but I had no idea what was waiting for me when I got there. The fact that Airbrau was right in the airport sets the tone nicely. I've still never stopped in there, but I need to.

14. steveh

My first time to Munich was a flight into the old airport. Talk about stepping back in time, there was a real cold war feeling to it with the patrolling armed guards and the armored car parked out front.

My friend and I were the advance party, we found a hotel for everyone, rented cars, then headed back to the airport to wait on everyone else's arrivals. There was one bar in the middle of the terminal and we sat and drank Pils -- probably too much Pils on jet-lag from the 8 hour flight! Can't remember what brand it was, just remember that I should have stepped off the stool a few more times before we left!

15. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Looks like I am back again, too (big surprise!). Will be in München 5 nights, 22-26Sep, with my wife joining me for the last night. The next 8 nights will likely be a 4/4 split between Rothenburg and Praha.... I was originally going to head back to Benelux after the Rothenburg stop, but my wife opted to go along. Her first trip since '96, and since I had long pined to return to Praha, and she'd never been, Praha it is... Bamberg will most def be hit from Rothenburg... Sounds like the Praha bier (pivo?) scene has exploded since I was last there in '91...

16. seanyfo

Please give U Fleku a visit and give us a run down. Missed it last time i was in Praha and watching Michael Jackson BeerHunter " Bohemian Connection" i really want to go!

Bierman9 likes this.
  17. FrankenBier

I really enjoyed U Fleku on my first visit (Jan 1990). Next visit was Mar 2009 and it was a big tourist trap. Waiters came by with a tray of schnapps offering a "welcome drink" only to find out you were charged an exorbitant price. Beer and food was also way over priced and only fair quality.

Was back a year later with some friends who insisted (also having seen MJ's video, I assume) and it was no better and they were also very disappointed. Lots of better places to spend your time and money.

18. Bierman9

Beer Trader

I may go to U Fleku for 1 bier, just so my wife can say she's been. I went in '91, and it was fun... I had heard of the schnapps scam.... too bad it's gotten too touristy.... At least the Munich Hofbrauhaus, though touristy, is still a decent visit... Prosit!!!

19. steveh

Have you been to the Hofbrau Keller? Just as quaint, full of history, great Biergarten -- less touristy.

danfue likes this.
  20. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Yeah, Steve, a couple of times. Like it quite a bit....

Prosit!

21. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

While I don't recommend eating a meal there (not that it's "bad" ... just not great), I'd honestly suggest everyone hit up the Hofbrauhaus at least once. I've gone on every Munich trip I've been on and I don't think that will change. The beers are still top notch, and their snacks are fresh/good. Hell, even the service isn't bad if you need to get in and out quickly.
    There are certainly better places, but I've always enjoyed the fact that Munich's biggest tourist attraction is still a pretty legit bierhall.

22. steveh

Same here, and it's pretty easily accessible, but the Keller is a great alternative. Same menu there too, IIRC.

23. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Here's a question - do the Keller or HBH carry any of their seasonals? The Chinese tower carries their Urbock in Spring and the Sommerbier starting in June. Do the main locations have those, too?

24. steveh

Why wouldn't they?

Pretty sure I was drinking Oktoberfest at the HB during Oktoberfest, but it was a while ago.

25. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

You'd think, but they didn't have either the last times we were there. Just the Munich "Holy Trinity" of helles, weiss, and dunkel. Granted, their helles is usually my go-to anyway, but I do love that Urbock.

26. steveh

Was it during one of the "seasons?"

I was at the Keller during Frühlingsfest and I'm pretty sure we were drinking the Maibock -- again, some years ago.

My go-to is always the Dunkel at HB -- great with the gravy-laden spätzle!

27. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yup, in both cases. In fact, both were on tap at the same time at the Chinese tower, although when the bock ran out I don't think they replaced it. I know the Sommerbier has the Chinese tower right on the glasses, so I wasn't sure if it was an exclusive or not.
    The HBH has never really been about selection, but I was curious. For selection, Paulaner Im Tal seems to be the spot in that area. I think they carry literally every Paulaner branded beer including the roggen, amber maerzen, kellerbier, and Salvator year-round.

28. steveh

That was the one and only spot* we found the Amber Märzen on my last trip to the Oktoberfest. But to tell the truth, we spent more time at the fest and Augustiner Keller than anywhere else.

Also, Salvator Keller has the - ahem - Salvator year-round.

*Sorry, it was the Seehaus.

29. Bierman9

Beer Trader

I've had the HB Ofest at the Keller (and the Urbock at the Chin Turm, both in September)...

Prosit!

30. patto1ro

Subscriber

That's not my experience. I've not been back since I had to wait more than an hour to get a beer.

31. millelacsmark

Beer Trader

I am surprised there isn't much love for the Weisses Brauhaus in this thread. Not as touristy as the HH and in my humble opinion better beer. It's just a short walk from the HH. I've been to Munich a couple of times and my biggest regret is not going to Kloster Andechs. Next time!

32. Bierman9

Beer Trader

I LOVE the Weisses!! I kick myself for not going there before 1999.... Had been to Munich starting in '80....Weisses kicks ass.... Such a great, traditional place... Throw in no smoking - fuck me!!!

steveh likes this.
  33. steveh

Definitely recommend Münchner Frühstück at Schneider -- perfect start to the day on a sunny spring or fall morning.

Bierman9 likes this.
  34. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm also a big fan of the Weissesbrauhaus. We usually either eat there or at Andechser Am Dom rather than the HBH.
    Besides having both varieties of Aventinus, schnapps, and a whole line-up of great wheat beers, they also have random guest taps you won't see anywhere else. Last time I was there they had a NW German pils (I forgot the name) and a Braugirgl Dunkel that I haven't seen before or since.

35. steveh

Whoa, that's new since I've last been. I was always a little disappointed that they didn't have any of their Weizen on tap. Was/is still a great place.

36. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

I was last there 2 years ago. It believe they had 2-3 of their own beers on tap (plus those two guest taps) with the rest being from bottles. I think their draft options were their main easier-drinking beers like Tap 1 and Tap 6.

37. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Whew...starting to get my plans together. I talked with Bill Eye (from Prost in Denver) a little bit and he suggested I hit the Spezial Keller even if I have to skip Kaiserdom, so that might be in the cards now. I figure I can always grab some Kaiserdom pils at a store if we can't get over there.
    In looking at the Mahr's website, it mentions that they sell bottles on Mondays. Anyone have any experience with what they usually sell on premises?
    Also - anyone made it to Forschungs since they reopened? It everything setup the same way or is there anything else I should know about?

38. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Were you planning on skipping Spezi Keller to get to Kaiserdom? Your inner ticker must be strong ;) (and yes, Kaiserdom is available at pretty much every grocery and gas station in town). As far as Mahr's goes, I recall you can pick up bottles, crates, and gravity-serve kegs (with taps) from the little shop in the brewery courtyard any morning (except Sundays) until around 2 pm or so. Just go through the Biergarten and past the main Wirtshaus entrance on the right -- door will be on your left. Prost!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  39. Gutes_Bier

Is Mahr's website finally up and running? For the longest time it was "under construction"...

Anyway...

The last time I went to Mahr's, which was August of 2011, I was able to buy their Helles, Pils, U, Weisser Bock, and Festtags Weisse all on location (although some were surely seasonal?). This would have been a Saturday, I think, although things certainly may have changed here in the two years since. The one I can never get to when it's open is the Klosterbräu store that's around the corner from Klosterbräu.

40. herrburgess

Beer Trader

You can sometimes get the Klosterbrau folks in the Wirtshaus to open the shop for you. As far as regular hours go, no clue (and I lived no more than 50 ft from the place -- corner of Eisgrube and Judenstrasse for those keeping score -- and walked past it every day!).

Bierman9 and Gutes_Bier like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe