Germany Heading Back to Munich/Bamberg at last

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Domingo, Jun 4, 2013.

1. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

I was in Spezial just a few hours ago. Lovely beer.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  2. steveh

steveh Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Eeew... I was in Spezial just a few hours ago.

grumble - grumble - grumble...

;)

3. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Schneider from Essing?

4. patto1ro

Subscriber

Yep, that's the one. Lovely little brewery.

5. patto1ro

Subscriber

In a few hours I'll be in the Kellers in Buttenheim. Life is hard.

herrburgess likes this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

We stayed there back in 1999. The beer was very good, as was the food. The setting in the Altmuehltal was very memorable.

Highly Recommended.
    http://www.braugasthoefe.com/en/schneider-en

Bierman9 likes this.
  7. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Anyone ever head out to Zeegendorf? Loved it out there.

8. steveh

Grrrrr!

:D

Uh, gotta camera? :)

9. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Used to go out there fairly regularly in my student days to eat their Schnitzel (I don't think I ever finished the massive "regular" portion, and eventually ended up ordering the Kinderschnitzel). I think they are now serving their own beer (dunno if they brew it or if it's contracted...I assume the latter). http://www.gasthausstark.de/speisekarte/alkoholische-getraenke

10. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

I like their beer and love their schnitzel!

11. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Just saw that they had their Richtfest this morning at the expanded location on the Koenigsstrasse. Freibier fuer Alle! Man, sorry I missed this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

steveh likes this.
  12. patto1ro

Subscriber

And look - Bayerischer Anstich!

herrburgess likes this.
  13. TreinJan

TreinJan Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

Nope, just for those people who are working on the extension and their families.

14. herrburgess

Beer Trader

True...workers and their families. Somehow I fixated on Freibier and my brain skipped over the other parts!

15. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm guessing this will be over by next weekend, right? Anyone know of anything I should be on the lookout for between the 2nd and 9th in Munich, Bamberg, or anywhere off of the Munich S-bahn?

16. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Gartenstadt Kirchweih in Bamberg from 2.8-5.8 http://www.kirchweihkalender-bamberg.de/_plaza/detail.neo?kerwaid=142

Hirschaider Kirchweih on 3.8 -- with Weisswurstfruehstueck! Love the beer and food from Kraus. http://www.kirchweihkalender-bamberg.de/_plaza/detail.neo?kerwaid=143

and this one on 8.8, which I have been to and found excellent (last time I was there they were smoking mackerel and serving Greifenklau beers): http://www.kirchweihkalender-bamberg.de/_plaza/detail.neo?kerwaid=147

17. bueschen

bueschen Jan 1, 2006 Germany

Sadly, Unionsbräu is now closed. I went by there the other day and they have a sign on the door thanking us all for the patronage blah, blah, blah.
    The sign said something (was in a hurry and had no time to decipher the handwriting) about the restaurant crew moving to Hirschau (in the Englisher Garten) but I don't think their beer will continue as Hirschau is a Löwenbräu Haus.

18. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

That's too bad about Unionsbrau. I meant to go by there a few years ago but the timing didn't work.

While we usually bring back one of those gift-style mixed bottle packs from Andechs, this time I think I'm going to bring back more bottles if I can. Any recommendations for bottle shops that are directly off of the S-Bahn? I'm not looking for anything crazy. Just places where I can grab some regional beers and (hopefully/maybe) a Rothaus pils as well.

19. steveh

Hirschau is Löwenbräu now? I see it's run by the Schottenhammels now and saw that they switched their Oktoberfest tent over to Löwenbräu as well. And yeah... I know the breweries are under the same umbrella these says, but wasn't Hirschau the only Spaten location in the Englischer Garten?

20. patto1ro

Subscriber

My impression is that the Löwenbräu beers are being pushed at the expense of Spaten's. I think I only saw one place selling Spaten when I was in Munish last week.

21. steveh

Any idea on the motive for this Ron? Do you suppose the AB-InBev Marketing Mopes are moving Spaten more to export than local? I see plenty here in the Midwest... at least at this time.

22. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

While I haven't been in a few years, Spaten always seemed to be in fewer places than the others. At least non-Franziskaner Spaten...as Franziskaner was everywhere. H-P wasn't all that common either. In terms of the places we tend to wander, HB seemed to be the most common followed by Lowenbrau, Augustiner, and Paulaner in that order.

23. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Spaten has more or less disappeared from the shelves at my local bottle shop(s) and grocery stores...replaced by some new, wholly mediocre IPA or other with a tie-die or similarly cartoonish label. More is better!

Back to Munich beers in Munich...I personally think Der Pschorr on the Viktualienmarkt is worth a visit. Nice Helles from the oak barrel...and the food is some of the best brewery fare in all of Munich. A bit on the more expensive side, but worth a stop.

grantcty and Gutes_Bier like this.
  24. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Seconded. My first time in Munich I was doing the tourist thing and my wife and I stopped in there. The outdoor patio was full capacity so we sat inside and listened to them tap open a new barrel every 5 minutes or so. We both really enjoyed our beer and our food.

25. grantcty

grantcty Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

As an unashamed Hacker Pschorr fan (even if they're an evil Fernsehbier maker--wish they would bring back their delicious Weisse Bock), I will join mjtierney2 and third this recommendation. Great place and close to all the other great beer spots. No better an afternoon than going to the Augustiner Keller, Der Pschorr and Ayinger Speis und Trank and enjoying bier vom holzfass.

As far as Spaten, plenty of it on the shelves here in Minnesota and Wisconsin. But a lot of us Midwesterners seem to enjoy those "boring" lagers, so there's usually no shortage of them. :)

26. patto1ro

Subscriber

I didn't make it there this time, but did on my last two visits. The prices are a bit eye-watering if you've been in Franconia for a few days.

27. patto1ro

Subscriber

No idea why. The irony is that the Löwebräu brewery has been demolished and the beers are brewed over the road at Spaten.

28. bueschen

Pretty much anywhere you stay in Munich will have a place to buy what you seek.
    Look for an Edeka grocery store as they often have a decent selection of locals.

29. bueschen

Not sure when or even if they switched. To be honest I don't even notice what beer is sold where anymore as I consider all the Munich Helles (at least in a Biergarten setting) to be equal. I do know that the family Hagn who owned the now closed Unionsbräu are the same folks who run the: http://www.loewenbraeuzelt.de/ come Wiesn time.

30. steveh

At one time the Hirschau and Schottenhammel tent were both Spaten venues. Schottenhammel was the first tent I hit at my first Oktoberfest and I drank the hell out of the Spaten and always returned on following trips. I also have a very fancy stein with Spaten-Schottenhammel all over it.

It was at Hirschau that I saw the vintage, 1938 Hohlwein Spaten poster I finally hunted down for my own possession.

31. spartan1979

spartan1979 Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I have fond memories of Spaten from my first trip to Germany in 1984. It seemed to be everywhere in Munich. I don't think I drank any of it when I was there in 2010 and I noticed it wasn't nearly as common.

32. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Of the places I really enjoy, I believe the only Spaten-serving location is Waldwirtschaft.
    I think their helles is one of the better ones and it has some of that bready/crackery goodness that the Augustiner one has so much of. My notes show that their maibock was my favorite one in town...at least of the ones I tried.
    I'd probably buy more Spaten helles over here in the US if they weren't in those green bottles.

Gutes_Bier, herrburgess and steveh like this.
  33. steveh

When the Maibock was still imported into the US we used to get it all the time for Spring. The last time I was able to get it on tap at a very local place, a few years ago, it was still terrific. I wish they still sent it over.

Hey Domingo -- just checked the first post and see that your ETA is this weekend! Hope you can do some serious research for us -- find out about this Spaten mystery!

herrburgess likes this.
  34. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yup - I fly out tomorrow night. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for any and all things beer-related in both Munich and Bamberg. I still have my iPhone notes from my last trip, so I'll probably just add to it. I tried 38 different beers (all at least 1/3L...so no taster ticking for me) last time and I figure I'll shoot for at least 30 this time since we don't have as much time.

Gutes_Bier and steveh like this.
  35. Bierman9

Beer Trader

St Emmerams Muhle is good, with Spaten, too.... Have a great trip... After Action Report to follow, right? ;-)

Prosit!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  36. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yup, I'll post a full report when I return. I'll grab plenty of photos, too. The weather looks to be pretty good (and hot), so hopefully we won't be confined to indoor areas like last time. Time to pack - Prost!

Gutes_Bier, steveh and Bierman9 like this.
  37. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Ar
    Are you flying through FfM or Mü? If you're in the FfM area, I e got some homebrew to lay on you.

38. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

The 10 day forecast sez sunny every day, highs between 25-30C, bring shorts and leave sweater at home this year.

39. Bierman9

Beer Trader

Are you there yet?? ;-)

40. steveh

Is he supposed to be online while vacationing? In some ways that would be cool, in other ways I think it might be a pain (for him)(heh, and his travel-mates).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe