Heading to CO, looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by geodonnokepyo, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Disciple (388) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey all, I am heading to Colorado in September for my cousin's wedding. I know it is a little ways away but I can't help but be excited already about the wonderful craft scene in the great state of CO. I was hoping for some recommendations of places to visit so I may get my wheels turning and start planning my stay down there.

I will be spending most of my time in Denver and Boulder, but the wedding is in Longmont.

If anyone could recommend a bottle shop where I could find a wide selection of Avery, Crooked Stave, River North, and Casey Brewing it would be much appreciated. I am thinking that I will definitely visit the Avery Brewery so that isn't too much of a concern, but I really love wilds, sours, and any big beers if that helps peoples' suggestions.

I can get most of Great Divide, Oskar Blues, Breckenridge, and New Belgium here in Pittsburgh, but if there are any pub exclusive beers or anything of the like worth trying please let me know.

Any and all other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,842) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

That's a LONG ways off! I live on the opposite end of CO, but Casey Brewing does not go far as far as I know, so that might be a problem. Those other brew's should be pretty easy to get, I would believe, in the Front Range area. River North really surprised me, especially in the bomber bottles. Avery has been putting out some very interesting/tasty brews lately. GD, OB never under estimate them.

Cheers!

3. R3ason

R3ason Aspirant (249) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

@geodonnokepyo, I can definitely relate to the excitement! I'd take the next several months to peruse the Mountain forum for similar posts (there have been several in the last few months, that are chock full of good suggestions). As the time gets closer, more info will probably be available regarding special releases, etc.

Are you looking mainly for bottle shops, or are you wanting to hit up breweries? For the latter, the RiNo and Five Points areas in Denver are fantastic: Epic, Crooked Stave, Great Divide, etc. For bottle shops, I'm more familiar with the Boulder / Longmont scene: Hazels and Liquor Mart in Boulder, and PJ's and Wyatt's in Longmont will have the widest selection of what you're looking for.

But ignore what I said above, and crawl through the rest of the Mountain forum and feel free to come back with questions :slight_smile:

tylerstravis and spoony like this.
  4. bentnorton

bentnorton Initiate (109) Apr 21, 2015 Colorado
    Trader

Small Batch in NW Denver might be your best bet for Casey in the Denver metro area (and is a pretty great bottle shop in general, though it is small). However, it's relatively rare when that stuff makes it out to Denver. You'd have to get a bit lucky to have a release coincide with your visit. Beers from the other breweries that you mentioned should be much easier to get your hands on.

Dtapeski likes this.
  5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (494) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Would absolutely love to do an IP trade with you, OP, for some Voodoo offerings!

Big Black and Wynonna's please!!!!!

tylerstravis likes this.
  6. geodonnokepyo

geodonnokepyo Disciple (388) Oct 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

@R3ason , Thanks for the specific spots, and yes I am looking more for bottle shops. Basically any bottles to go that I cant get distributed to up here.

@ManBearPat , I will let you know closer to September. If you could get any Casey that would be pretty tight considering that it sounds hard to find. Then you can have all the Voodoo you want. :wink:

and thanks everyone else for contributing suggestions.

R3ason and ManBearPat like this.
  7. R3ason

R3ason Aspirant (249) Aug 13, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

For sure. The mentioned shops are probably going to be your best bets for the Boulder / Longmont area (reliably good, large selections). Someone else can chime in with Denver suggestions.

Seekabrew (if you haven't used it before) is a good, albeit often a bit dated, resource if you're looking for a general idea of what's not distributed in your area (do the 'Compare Distribution'). If you're wanting to start compiling a list of stuff you want to look for.

8. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Casey beers occasionally hit Denver, but it's going to be really tough to predict, what, where, and when. The odds of stumbling upon some is pretty slim unless a lot changes between now and then.
    You can almost certainly set up a face-to-face trade in town to get anything you want, though. That's going to be easier than scrambling to different stores and praying they have something.
    That said, you can buy nearly anything else that isn't a whale straight off our shelves. Hazel's and Liquor Mart in Boulder have a fine selection of local beers.

tylerstravis likes this.
  9. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (519) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

If you have time venture up to Fort Collins. I'm in love with Funkwerks right now, and Odell is perpetually killing it. Hopefully Sad Panda will be in cans by then as well. Wilburs, Supermarket, and Craft Beer Cellar are the places to go in Fort Collins. Liquormax in Loveland has a huge singles selection.

+1 for Wyatts in Longmont.
    Also be sure to hit up Odd13 since it sounds like you'll be close to it.

ManBearPat and R3ason like this.
  10. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (494) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Sad Panda makes this ManBear a happy panda...

From what I was told (by H & D's owner), they will be packaging it on 22 oz bombers though FYI.

spoony and Dan_K like this.
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,899) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Colorado is a great place for beer lovers and you're gonna have a great time!

With that said....you're gonna miss something. Count on it. Even those who live here miss something every week. I need an intern to keep track of new breweries opening and new beers pouring. And then there are the out-of-state beers...

The key is to not to get upset at missing something. Enjoy what you find. And don't lament about the thin pocketbook afterwards :grimacing: And drink LOTS of WATER!

I wouldn't spend too much time hunting for specific beers. The shops mentioned above will more than have enough for you. If you want to hit breweries, there are tons of those...just swing a dead cat and you'll hit a good one. Some do not package (Hogshead, Bierstadt--hopefully open by then, Comrade...) so those may jump to the top of the list. Yet, even breweries with great packaged lineups (like Odell and Dry Dock) have great tap-only lineups.

Then there are the tap houses, like Falling Rock and Freshcraft and Colorado Plus and Hops and Pie....
    You won't be bored!

*Disclaimer: don't swing a dead (or live) cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.