Heading to Erie from IN

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LloydDobler, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Pooh-Bah (2,028) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Driving down 90 past Cleveland and heading to Erie for a wedding this weekend. Are there nice bottle shops or breweries worth stopping by on the way or in the general area of my destination? Might head east into NY a little on Sunday as well. Hoping to find some Tired Hands, Other Half, Grimm hops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kkdowning

kkdowning Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Pennsylvania

You won't find any of those breweries in Erie. If you trek up to Buffalo you might find some Grimm. Not sure about Other Half in western NY.

Western PA is nothing like eastern when it comes to beer distro. I would recommend hitting Voodoo's new brewpub in Erie though.

LloydDobler likes this.
  3. EF0rs

EF0rs Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

You might find some good things at U Pick 6 or Wegmans (both on Peach Street).

I second the new Voodoo Erie and Lavery is worth stopping in.

LloydDobler likes this.
  4. mjdailey87

mjdailey87 Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Pennsylvania

Im sure its wayyy past your visit, but IMO there are lots of good options. I really like Erie Ale Works. They're a small brewery operation, but the owners are great. You couldn't have two better guys running that place. I say the personal experience of talking with the owners trumps some of the other experiences you'll get in Erie. They have lots of good beer too!

I'll say this, I like some of Lavery's stuff, especially Ulster Breakfast Stout, but I was put off the first time I was there. I've been back several times since to give it another chance, but I still like EAW more. Voodoo Erie is good! They have tons of options. I'd hit up as many Erie spots as you can.

LloydDobler likes this.
  5. TmaveTebow

TmaveTebow Zealot (590) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Trader

I lived in Erie til 2014 and stop back a couple times a year. Voodoo is your # 1 choice for sure. The next brewery would be Lavery. Upick 6 tap house on state street is probably the best beer bar downtown. Upick 6 beer store on peach street has draft to stay and growlers as well as a good selection of bottles. Wegmans on Peach street is a top choice for bottles. I would skip Erie Ale Works the beer is unremarkable and so is the Venue. No other half tired hands or Grimm in Erie.

LloydDobler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.