Germany Heading to Germany

Discussion in 'Europe' started by spartan1979, Aug 31, 2013.

1. spartan1979

spartan1979 Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

This must be where I got the date of the 27th! It was the 26th and we were a day late. We had dinner and beers there and both were good. If not for the incorrect date, we might not have ventured out there. It was worth the trip. :)

[​IMG]

This is the Hefeweizen and the Bock. We also tried the Hell and the Kellerbier.

boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  2. herrburgess

herrburgess Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Ouch. Sorry about that. (And, oh yea...yum!)

spartan1979 likes this.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Apr 13, 2008 Germany

OK... so what did you think of the Kürzer Alt in comparison with Schlüssel, Schumacher or Uerige?

4. spartan1979

Their beer was pretty good. Nutty with a touch of chocolate/coffee. Darker than most. Similar bitterness to Füchschen. Clean but soft.

It was interesting that it was being served by gravity from a glass cask that would be refilled via a pump from the bottom. They could enter how many glasses they wanted and it would pump in that much.

I'll try to post a pic, but photobucket is down right now.

5. spartan1979

Here's what Kürzer was pouring out of:

[​IMG]

6. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I wonder how this goes over with the wooden barrel crowd. On the other hand, Germans do seem to love their gadgets.

7. spartan1979

Kürzer doesn't seem to be going after the wooden barrel crowd. I think they're going after a much younger crowd. The entire staff was pretty young.

8. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Dude. They could Randall a shitload of hops through that thing!

spartan1979 and boddhitree like this.
  9. Gutes_Bier

Did you notice the skull?

spartan1979 and herrburgess like this.
  10. Gutes_Bier

I was only in Uerige once ever, and just for a quick lunch. I loved it, though. Do you have an idea as to which locals visit which pub? In other words, is Uerige locally thought of as the Old Fogey's Pub? I've visited Füchschen's website a few times and they definitely seem to be working for the Young And Goin' Out vibe.

11. spartan1979

I visited all 5 pubs last week. Schumacher was full of tourists, Uerige seemed to have an older crowd, Schlüssel seemed about in the middle. Füchschen seemed the most irreverent, with the Halloween decorations and the advertising with the fox and Kürzer seemed to be going for the younger, "hipper" crowd. But that's based on limited observations. I didn't feel uncomfortable in any of them.

Füchschen's dining room:

[​IMG]

Füchschen's Fox advertising:

[​IMG]

boddhitree, seanyfo and Gutes_Bier like this.
  12. Gutes_Bier

I would not have guessed this. Isn't it the most out-of-the-way of the five?

herrburgess likes this.
  13. herrburgess

Beer Trader

I hung out for a while at Schumacher's Bierwagon on the Markt am Carlsplatz. Was awesome -- and no tourists. Just a typical white wagon selling beer from the barrel. Had an awesome time there with my kid as he roamed around looking at the Christmas toys and I downed a couple of Alt.

[​IMG]

14. spartan1979

Actually, I misspoke. It seemed full of businessmen with out-of-town guests. It's on one of the main streets of the shopping district, but not in the Altstadt. It's probably more convenient to get to than the others if you're not starting in the Altstadt.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  15. boddhitree

There are 2 Schumacher restaurants in Düsseldorf. One is on a main street, so that explains the businessmen. The 2nd is next to across from Schussel Alt in the Altstadt on the main drag for partyers and bachelor/ette parties. Both are good.

seanyfo and herrburgess like this.
  16. seanyfo

seanyfo Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Past couple of times I've been in Dusseldorf, i like standing outside the Oststrasse pub drinking a few Alts watching the cars pull up outside, putting the hazard lights on, running in with a crate of empties and returning with a full crate before zooming off again. It's like clockwork!

Gutes_Bier and herrburgess like this.
  17. herrburgess

Beer Trader

Funny. I used to like sitting in the Schwemme at Schlenkerla on Friday nights watching the high school kids run in with a crate of Helles empties and leaving (to go sit by the river) with a fresh crate. Only Helles I ever used to see sold there.

18. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Mar 21, 2005 Germany

That Fuchsenstein character is hilarious :)

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  19. Gutes_Bier

Updated for St. Martin's Day!
    [​IMG]

I met some friends here for lunch this past Saturday. It wasn't really a beer trip but they were all happy to play along with my dining/drinking suggestion. From here we walked down along the Rhine promenade to the Medienhafen, then back up through the Altstadt to Uerige, where I picked up an 8er and two glasses. Sorry, no real trip report for the gang!

Edit: during our Altstadt walk I noticed the downtown Schumacher place finally. We also walked past Kürzer and I saw the "coffee machine" dispenser but we did not go in.

boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  20. spartan1979

I've been remiss in posting pics, so I guess I'll get started.

Day One - Miltenberg. We traveled to Miltenberg because I wanted to try Faust Schwarzviertler and it looked like a nice place to spend a day or so. So we decided the place to start was zum Reisen!

[​IMG]

I ordered a Schwarzviertler and my wife a Faust Pils.

[​IMG]

I had brewed a clone of this beer and wanted to see how it compared to my memory of mine. I think theirs was a bit crisper and definitely more smoky. I have to attribute this to the freshness of the rauchmalz compared to when I get it at home. To compensate, I added 50% more to my next batch. In any case, the beer is wonderful. I brought two bottles home with me.

My wife thought the Pils was the best Pils she's ever had. I tasted it and thought it was right up there. I also the Reisen Spezial there. It was good, but doesn't really stand out in my mind.

That evening we went to the Faust Bräustüble for dinner and more beer. The brewery doesn't have a tasting room, but the Bräustüble is right around the corner. The bar area has an American feel to it with bar stools at the bar and Jack Daniels signs everywhere! It turns out that while Faust owns the building, they are leasing it out to the Bräustüble. They do have all the Faust beers, though.

I started out with the Doppelbock while my wife had the Kräusen. The Doppelbock was roastier than I like, but still good. We followed those up with a Festbier and a Weizen Dunkel.

[​IMG]

IIRC, the festbier was similar to a Wies'n as opposed to a Märzen. A little maltier than the Wiehenstephan Festbier I tried at home. I can't say much about the Weizen, I'm not a fan of the style but my wife enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure I have another Schwarzviertler here too, but I only kept track of a beer when I drank it for the first time.

More later.

boddhitree, Domingo, steveh and 4 others like this.
  21. spartan1979

Day Two - Miltenberg

We spent the day walking around Miltenberg. We picked up an English pamphlet at the Rathaus that told us what the sights were and (more or less) where they were. We found them all. If anyone wants pics of the sights, let me know.

It was interesting to note that although the day was sunny and the temperature hit 73*F (23*C) there were a lot of Germans walking around in heavy coats. I was in short-sleeves and almost wishing I had shorts. A beautiful day.

[​IMG]

We had seen this this banner the day before when we were looking for Faust. The brewery closed in 2010, but the beer is being brewed by Eder & Heylands in Aschaffenburg. The tap is still open however so we decided to try a beer.

[​IMG]

We decided to sit outside so walked into the tap, and asked the waitress "Bier drausen, bitte?" My Rosetta Stone course finally paid off! I had the Doppelbock and wife had the Pils. The Doppelbock came in a ceramic stein so I didn't take a pic. When the head finally settled down, I realized how light-colored the Doppelbock was. I was expecting a dark bier. Both were okay, but nothing special. I could see why they had trouble competing with Faust.

So we walked around some more, went up to the castle and climbed the tower. I took this picture from the top of the tower and it made me want a bier.

[​IMG]

So we did. We sat outside and watched the people go by.

[​IMG]

I had a Zwickel Pils and my wife the Hefewizen Hell. At least a couple of Schwartzviertlers were also drank to pass the time.

[​IMG]

We ended up eating at the zur Goldenen Krone primarily because it looked interesting. It was okay, but I'm sure there are better places in Miltenberg. They served Schlappe-Seppel biers, also from Aschaffenburg. I ordered the Winterbock and my wife the Ur-brau.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At first I thought the beers were backwards. The Ur-brau looks like what I expected a Winterbock to look like, but I am learning! The Ur-brau was pretty good and the Winterbock a decent Helles Bock. They were worth trying.

Then it was back to the hotel as we had to catch an early train to get to Regensburg by lunch the next day.

#101 spartan1979, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  22. danfue

danfue Sep 16, 2012 Germany

The original Schlappeseppel brewery in Aschaffenburg closed some years ago, it is now also brewed at Eder & Heyland's in Großostheim (just next to Aschaffenburg). Interestingly, the original Schlappeseppel brewpub in Aschaffenburg still exists, but started serving Faust beers only some time ago!

23. spartan1979

Is Eder & Heyland's part of a larger group? Must be that the Schlappeseppel brewpub isn't owned by Eder & Heyland's.

24. danfue

I'm not sure, but I think they are independent. They're not in this list. And their legal info on their website doesn't mention anything else. Note that two of the people in the management are Eders, so probably still (partly) family-run.

25. Gutes_Bier

The local Getränkemarkt to me recently started selling Schlappe Seppel, but I ignored them - if my place carries them and they aren't local, I assume they're Fernsehbiere. Perhaps I'll go back and grab one.

Thanks for the report, @spartan1979 ! The pic of the inn from the tower is a nice one. I look forward to hearing about Regensburg!

spartan1979 likes this.
  26. boddhitree

That's never a good way to go. Just because it's not a local, doesn't mean it's Fernsehbier.
    Schlappe Seppel is owned by a the Eder & Heylands Brauerei. Here's the Wiki page, and their homepage showing the beers in the stable, all small brands: Schlappe Seppel, Hey Lands, Bavaria (never heard of it) and Eders.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  27. boddhitree

spartan1979

Did the have the Auswander beer at Faust when you were there? That's their DIPA, a lovely, really hoppy beer in the Amerian style.

28. boddhitree

I liked your pics of sum Riesen. Thanks and keep posting!

spartan1979 likes this.
  29. Gutes_Bier

Unfortunately that attitude is born out experience with my local place. There are very few beers they get in that aren't either local or Fernsehbier.

30. danfue

See if you can grab the Schlappeseppel Landbier. It's by far their best offer. The rest is quite okay, but nothing spectacular.

boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  31. Gutes_Bier

OK, I picked up two 330 ml bottles of Schlappe-Seppel's "Unser Slappe'schel" which the beer store labels a Spezial. This was the only Schlappe-Seppel brand beer they carry, no Landbier in sight. It's 5.6% ABV so I'm guessing that "Spezial" here is the commonly accepted "Export" style. Prices were marked down, probably because the best by date is approaching - Dec. 4th of 2013 if I'm reading it correctly. Label says it's made in Bayern, so I'll put the review in the Bayernbiere thread when I get to it.

32. spartan1979

No, I didn't see it. Otherwise I would have tried it!

33. Bierman9

Bierman9 Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Thnx for the travel write-up... May have to hit-up Miltenberg one of these days....

Prosit!

34. spartan1979

It's worth it.

35. spartan1979

Day 3 - Regensburg

We took the train from Miltenberg to Regensburg. On the first leg, Miltenberg to Aschaffenburg, the train was packed with what appeared to be University students, some quite fetching (sorry, no pics). We arrived about 11:30, dropped our bags at the hotel and went to lunch at the Wurstkuchl.

[​IMG]

Sure it's touristy, but we're tourists! Plus it's probably one of those things you should do once, like visit the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. They serve Jacob bier there, which is brewed in Bodenwöhr. I had the Dunkles, my wife the Altbayrisch Hell. Both went down well with wurst, but weren't particularly memorable.

After lunch we took a 90 minute walking tour of the Regensburg Altstadt. It started at the Altes Rathaus.

[​IMG]

I have to wonder why you would want to drink Münchener bier in Regensburg? Drink local! After the tour, we did a little wandering, went to the hotel and checked in. Then we went to find Spital.

[​IMG]

The Steinerne Brücke was under construction on the Spital end, but we found it anyway. It took a little longer to find our way into the tap. We ordered more wurst and a Dunkles and a Hefeweizen followed by a Hell and a Pils.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After the last two days drinking Faust, these didn't really stand up. They were good and solid, though. The biergarten was closed, but it looks like a great place to enjoy bier on a sunny day. Maybe next time. I didn't really care for the atmosphere in the tap. Maybe too many old people (even though I am one). It just reminded me of the Elks Club my great-uncle belonged to in the 60's.

We did a little more wandering and then headed to Kneitinger for dinner. Their beers were outstanding!

[​IMG]

I ordered the Bock and my wife ordered the Dunkel. The Bock was wonderful, so rich, creamy and thick! One of the best Bocks I've ever had! Heck, one of the best biers I've ever had! Screw American IPAs and all the crap that they put in craft beers these days. Give me more of this! The only one that beats it was the Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock that I got right out of the lagering tank in 2010. And that one had the situation of being in the lagering cave going for it. I had to try the Dunkel and my wife ordered the Edel-Pils. Damn! The Dunkel is just a lighter version of the Bock. Wonderful! Two of the best biers I've had; Back to back in one small brewery! The people of Regensburg are lucky. We had dinner there so we were in one of the dining rooms. The Schwemme looked like a great place to drink a few, but we were stuffed and needed to walk around.

We walked over to Weltenburger am Dom. We both wanted to go in for a bier since we had such fond memories of the Kloster, but we were just stuffed and decided to call it a night.

I earned Stahl's ire by only spending one day in Regensburg. But the short visit has left me wanting to go back as soon as I can. I'm already thinking about the next trip!

Next stops - Nürnberg and Bamberg!

36. Gutes_Bier

I think you worked your way back into his good graces with this one:

Not to mention bonus points from @herrburgess for this one:

However, and for whatever it's worth, you lost all points with me for this faux pas:
    :mad::p:D

Next up for me: Get myself some Kneitinger.

Stahlsturm, Bierman9 and herrburgess like this.
  37. spartan1979

My wife was sitting besides me. I still had 8 days to spend with her 24/7. :)

Stahlsturm and Gutes_Bier like this.
  38. herrburgess

Beer Trader

@mjtierney2: Drafting an article titled "The IMP-Brewers' New Clothes" as we speak! ;)

boddhitree, steveh and Gutes_Bier like this.
  39. boddhitree

Did you see all the beers I reviewed in the "Stahlsturm's Stash" series: beers for the Regensburg area which he dropped off in my apt? I got to try Kneitinger, Spital, etc and I totally agree with everything you said about the German beers, but I still love all the American styles. Living here, writing up reviews here in BA has truly increased my appreciation of German beer styles, truly for myself to interact with each beer, and I envy your trip there for that reason. Still gotta have my IPAs though; lucky I homebrew.

40. spartan1979

You live in the land of great lagers. I live in the the land of great IPA's. The grass is always greener...

But seriously, I like good IPA's, but I am growing tired of all the high gravity beers, the barrel aging and the beers with all odd ingredients. I'm also tired of the hype.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe