Heading to Madison Wi.

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by ParkbrauFan, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Iowa

Looking for advise on bottle shops. I have brewery and brewpub plans.
    Just wondering who has the top selection of bottles I can't get here
    in the Des Moines Area. Thanks in advance

2. Kbyfield

Kbyfield Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Wisconsin

Dactrius and jRocco2021 like this.
  3. ParkbrauFan

4. Kbyfield

Nobody that I know of has online beer lists - it would be a huge undertaking to keep current. Your best bet is a car and cpl hours to drive around town.

5. ParkbrauFan

i have several beer shops bookmarked in the Twin Cities Indianapolis and other cities that list beer brands A to Z

6. Kbyfield

Here in WI, we're too busy drinking to worry about such things :wink:

In a nutshell, hit Woodmans (cheapest NG), Jennifer St, Trixie's, Riley's, and Star. All within a few mils of each other and among those, you'll find nearly everything you can find in town.

Unphased likes this.
  7. ParkbrauFan

Thanks I appreciate it.

8. Unphased

Unphased Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2013 Wisconsin

If you can travel 30-40 min east of madison on Hwy 151 in Beaver Dam visit the Chill Zone........you won't be sorry.

9. Gotti311

Gotti311 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin

Jennifer Street market will have the most extensive selection, but will be pretty pricey. I tend to avoid hoppy bombers at there because I think they tend to sit around a bit unless of course they are dated.

Rileys will have the next best selection with more of a selection from across the pond. Both are fairly accessible if you are going to be making multiple stop across town so I would visit both.

10. chazmcbro

chazmcbro Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2010 Wisconsin

Steve's on Junction Rd. if you're on the west side. :wink:

11. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I would also suggest Alpine Liquor if you're near Cottage Grove. Ask the guy what he's got as well as check the coolers.

And if you're headed up North at all, Liquor Central in Lake Delton (approx 35 minutes away) often has a shelf full of Toppling Goliath.

12. ParkbrauFan

Thanks for all the great tips, any and all are welcome! Cheers!

13. Lionhawk

Lionhawk Aspirant (220) Nov 14, 2012 Iowa

I will be headed thru Madison on Thursday afternoon on my way north to Appleton. Can any of you Madisonians help me so i don't stop at alot of places bc frankly the wife won't allow multiple beer stops with an 11-month old in the car for 4'ish hours!:slight_frown:

Got the jist of the best places around (Trixies, Star, Jenifer st, woodmans, etc), i am more looking for those that have been to these places and can confirm any of the following were on the shelves.....

NG Oud Bruin
    Bunny Green Toe
    Black Husky (anything?)

thanks lads and laddies

14. Kbyfield

Call Star for Black Hucky - they almost always have some. Not sure if anyone else does
    Oud Bruin - I think it may all be gone - you may have better luck in Appleton or along the way

15. ericarrots

ericarrots Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2013 Wisconsin

If you're coming into town on 151/18, I'd jump off in Verona and hit Verona Wine Cellar for your Black Husky. Then, Steve's McKee is just a couple blocks off of 18/Verona Road. They have an outstanding selection. If you're taking this route, these places are convenient and much more accessible than the places you've mentioned, with, I believe, a better selection (with the possible exception of Jeny St). Woodman's is a giant supermarket. They'll have WI stuff for a couple bucks less, but probably nothing special.

I can't recall seeing Bunny Green Toe around anywhere in a little while, but I think there might be a new batch of Oud Bruin popping up soon.

I hope this helps a bit. Safe travels!

16. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Oud Bruin should be pretty availablie- if you can't find it at a shop, hit up a pick n save or other grocery store.
    Bunny Green Toe was at Star last time I was there (about a week ago?)
    Black Husky will be at Star for sure, not sure of the other Madison shops carrying them. He does a good job loading shops with with BH Pale Ale & Sproose.

I would hit up Star & Trixies. Nearby each other, both are quick stops.

17. Lionhawk

Lionhawk Aspirant (220) Nov 14, 2012 Iowa

Thanks fellas...151/18 will be the route. Probably give Steve's and Verona a shot and see what i can come up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.