Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Heading to Manchester, VT...need advice

Discussion in 'New England' started by raydogfresh, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raydogfresh

raydogfresh Feb 23, 2008 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

The wife and I are heading to Manchester, VT in a couple of weeks. I need some suggestions on where to get good bottles, good draft beer and good food (hopefully those last two will be in the same place). We're only there for the weekend, and beer isn't the main event, so there's likely no trips up to Waterbury/Hill-Farmstead. Unfortunately. Anything in the semi-near vicinity is welcome!

2. Fujii13

Fujii13 Apr 27, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Manchester Discount Beverage for bottles, for sure.

thampel09 and Flashy like this.
  3. jstout26

jstout26 May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

4. telejunkie

telejunkie Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Live in Manchester and unfortunately call the local beer scene the "Beer-Dome". That said, Manchester Discount has a very solid selection of beer so it's not a complete waste zone. Unfortunately the bar scene/tap selection is fairly dismal. Firefly has your typical pub food and currently has Lagunitas IPA and Shed Mountain Ale as their craft beer selection. The Perfect Wife has decent food and at last check had Stone IPA and some Long Trail weird fruit beer concotion as their craft beer. Some locals love the Perfect Wife, i'm just not one of them though. I refuse to go Mulligans so not sure what they've got, but at last check was Guinness & maybe an Otter Creek or Long Trail as their craft selection.
    If you're into Tex-Mex food, Gringo-Jack's had this summer's best tap selection in town with 3, maybe 4 taps of craft beer and an incredible selection of tequilas (probably going there tonight). Thai Basil has good food, but is pricey. There is also the Sushi Boat that is BYOB. If you're into sushi, pick up something good at Discount Beverage and settle in there...it's actually great sushi for this area.

Finally I'll recommend going up towards Stratton so that way you can swing into Meuhlman's Craft Draughts to see if they have any Backacre Beermakers Sour Golden...if you're into sour/lambic style beers.

thampel09 likes this.
  5. BrainTree

BrainTree Aug 14, 2013 Vermont

Seconded!

thampel09 likes this.
  6. raydogfresh

Beer Trader

Thanks all (specifically telejunkie), good info to have, if slightly disappointing to hear. Why such an embarrassment of riches up north and such a dearth of riches in the south?

7. telejunkie

telejunkie Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

different scene...different crowds is my guess :shrug shoulders: For some reason even those locals who demographically would be your prime craft beer fans around here, seem to stick with PBR &/or wine. When I moved here, the Perfect Wife used to have a good tap list & bottle selection and then went downhill conversely as the popularity of craft beer trended up. You'll notice PBR at every bar in town and the tap that is almost exclusively used...

If you're coming through Bennington, as jstout pointed out there is Madison's, but also a great bar/pizza joint Ramunto's which has the best tap list south of probably Middlebury on the west side of the mountains. If coming up through Brattleboro, then there are bunch of places to stop there as well like Whetstone or McNeil's before finishing the drive. Cheers!

8. raydogfresh

Beer Trader

Excellent, thanks again, I'll try to squeeze in all of the culture I can take in. If you're ever vacationing in Central CT, I'm your guy. Newington is lovely this time of year! ;)

9. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

And there is also heaven on earth, the Man of Kent in Hoosick, NY a few miles outside of
    Bennington on Rt. 7 (which becomes Rt. 9 in VT). Stop there if its on the way. I second Manchester Beverage Depot, pretty awesome selection there. Brattleboro has some stops if you head over that way and is worth the trip if you have the time.

If someone tells you the best place in Manchester is The Madison Brewing Co in Bennington, a half an hour away, that's telling you something.

telejunkie likes this.
  10. Fujii13

Fujii13 Apr 27, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

That's telling you something if someone is saying Madison is the best of anything.

telejunkie and deanhead like this.
  11. Flashy

I can stomach the Old 76 and Sucker Pond Blonde in a pinch. I give the place a 6.5 out of 10. Ramundos is pretty good- great place to watch football.

12. Flashy

The Whetstone in Brattleboro is the class of this area. Last time I went to Brattleboro Bowl they had a pretty awesome selection as well- but that was two years ago.

13. FloppyTopper

FloppyTopper Oct 3, 2013 Vermont

Agree with telejunkie. HUGE beer dome out here. I'm in Bennington and it has a few options. Ramuntos has a nice selection of drafts. The Rattlesnake always has a solid IPA draft list (green flash, lagunitas, victory, stone). Madison's beer is pretty sub par; I usually get their guest drafts. They did make a nice IPA this summer, though I forget the name. Madison's does have good food - highly recommend the southwest buffalo chicken salad.

Bennington Beverage Den is the best bottle shop in town. Sorry I may have drained them of the Lawson's Otter Creek Colab... Route 7 through NY has The Ruck in Troy and Man of Kent in Hoosick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe