Heading to Nashville

Discussion in 'South' started by TheEdmund, Jun 28, 2018.

1. TheEdmund

TheEdmund Initiate (123) Feb 3, 2015 Massachusetts

Hey All,

Heading to Nashville for a few days and was wondering what breweries to visit. Big fan of the New England style IPA'S AND DIPA'S.

Thanks in advance,
    Ed

2. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Zealot (590) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Southern Grist and Bearded Iris.

Readmorevols, TheEdmund and Henryb22 like this.
  3. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Zealot (515) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

As mentioned above Southern grist and bearded iris for sure, also New heights is doing good stuff as well. If you like sours, Yazoo is a must for the Embrace the Funk beers.

TheEdmund likes this.
  4. Nephew11

Nephew11 Initiate (118) Nov 27, 2016 Illinois

Hey guys I’m gonna piggy back of this thread. I’ll be in for the 4th and 5th with kids. I’ll be hitting up southern grist and bearded iris for sure (kid friendly?) Was looking for more specifically what may be out those days I can grab to go or have on tap. Also any non touristy food recommendations (breakfast/lunch/dinner/coffee/sweets).

5. JRaffTX

JRaffTX Initiate (146) Jan 24, 2018 Texas

I haven't been in this scene long, but sorry, for NEIPAs I do NOT recommend Southern Grist They seem to be into adding flavor extracts to their beers which isn't my cup of tea. Yes, Bearded Iris for NEIPAs, they literally only do that as far as I can tell and get a lot of love with beer traders. No to Yazoo for NEIPA too. I like Yazoo, but not for NEIPAs. Blackstone and TN Brew Works make better overall IPAs (and beers in general so far in my journey). Just answering in the context of the IPAs request. I think New Heights makes 1 NEIPA, which is solid...but I really think they make good big boyz, even though that wasn't your question. Just my 2 cents.

6. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (73) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

You might want to check out The Flying Saucer in Nashville. Its a bar, not a brewery, but has a large tap list and is worth the visit.

7. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Zealot (515) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Both allow kids though i would say Grist is the more family friendly of the two. Both are, but typically BI is playing rap music which some parents might not want their kids hearing with all the swearing and such. If you look at both of their websites it will tell you what cans are available to go and whats on tap as well, both very accurate . Hopefully the passion fruit guava gose hill cans last till the 4th for you to grab at Grist, they are very good. Same thing with the new mood ring BI released friday. Grist has food at both locations, but the west side is better for food. Food wise alot of places will be closed for the 4th, but it depends on what you want. Coffee places i rec are 8th and Roast, Crema, Sump or Steadfast.

SouthernGrist likes this.
  8. jdhops

jdhops Initiate (172) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee

Highly recommend Southern Grist for NEIPAs. Hoppy Timbs (cans and draft) and Mixed Greens (draft) are available now. Neither has "flavor extracts" added.

Macsimus, canadia70 and SouthernGrist like this.
  9. Ace99890

Ace99890 Aspirant (275) Dec 3, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Came in town and I have to say this is correct. Went to both Southern Grist and Bearded Iris..my only complaint about bearded iris was taplist was small...grist had 17 beers on tap. I think quality was better at Bearded Iris but The variety was fantastic at southern Grist. Both were excellent

needMIbeer and imyourhero21 like this.