Heading to Nashville

Discussion in 'South' started by TheEdmund, Jun 28, 2018.

1. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,764) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Fyi shitton of ubers there, easy to get

2. reidjoshua

reidjoshua Initiate (165) May 3, 2013 California
    Trader

Visiting Nashville for the first time for my buddy's bachelor party and Bearded Iris/Yazoo/Jakalope/Proper Sake are on the list for Saturday.

Currently the plan is to go to Barlanes at the Omni for NFL Sunday. Would City Tap be a better option?

We're staying at the Fairlane and Downtown Nashville Wine and Spirits is close by (as is Frugal MacDoogal near the breweries). Are there any releases (IPA/BA stouts) I should be looking for?

3. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (488) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

You forgot Southern Grist , they usually do a release of cans on saturday now, and BI will be releasing cans friday at noon. They are releasing Attention Please friday at BI, which i think is alot of peoples fave along with chief of chiefs. They both have about 4-6 different 4 packs to go each right now.

mayorQuimby and reidjoshua like this.
  4. reidjoshua

Trader

Southern Grist is a bit out of the way from our cramped schedule, so will have to skip it. How crowded will BI be on Fri and how quick do they sell out of the their releases?

5. DogfishRyan

DogfishRyan Initiate (152) Mar 2, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Went to both Bearded Iris and Southern Grist in the last day. Definitely recommend Southern Grist.

donspublic likes this.
  6. WPZY

WPZY Initiate (91) Jan 17, 2014 Tennessee
    Trader

BI can be hit or miss crowd wise, but shouldn't be too busy on Friday afternoon, and cans from Friday will last through the weekend.

I understand that you're on a schedule and staying in a certain area, but would put Southern Grist way ahead of Jackalope. SGB has the best variety of any brewery in town. Also, TN Brew works is between Jackalope and Proper Sake.

7. imyourhero21

Trader

Neither sell out really, Honestly Grist isnt that far away , one is 10 minutes from dtown the other 15 .

WPZY likes this.
  8. WPZY

Trader

And if you go to the eastside one, could stop in Smith and Lentz for some lagers

imyourhero21 likes this.
  9. reidjoshua

Trader

Thanks for the rec's. I will definitely make sure we hit up Southern Grist as it looks like we're doing Bolton's for lunch one day.

10. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (456) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

As other's have said, for beer, your top priorities should be Bearded Iris and Southern Grist, hands down. All the others are throw ins but can be skipped...

Also, Bolton's is a filthy dump with the spiciest chicken you've ever eaten and really lousy quality of sides. A dump with fantastic food is one thing, this is another. I went when I moved here because I saw it on Parts Unknown and was supremely unimpressed. Hattie B's in Melrose is your best choice across the board for hot chicken, imho, though there is also one very close to the SG location in the Nations.

reidjoshua likes this.
  11. imyourhero21

Trader

This city is also a BYOB kinda place , Boltons is cool about bringing in own beer. Disagree with person above, East Boltons has some of the hottest chicken, get medium chicken on a stick as it has to be cooked fresh, and sides are much better there then 8th ave location. I do like hattie bs, but Boltons east is def a place you should visit with a beer or two.

CoopIsLoose and reidjoshua like this.
  12. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (532) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

Regarding Bearded Iris releases ... assuming pretty much nothing is available on Thursdays since they release on Fridays???

13. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

No, they have a ton of cans available currently. New stuff drops every Friday but lately, things have been sticking around for a couple weeks post-release.

https://beardedirisbrewing.com/location/taproom/#available-cans - The list on their website is up-to-date.

AlexM likes this.
  14. AlexM

AlexM Zealot (532) Jun 9, 2011 California
    Trader

mayorQuimby likes this.
  15. CoopIsLoose

CoopIsLoose Initiate (45) Jun 12, 2018 Texas

Have to strongly agree that Bolton's East is very good and a place you should visit over Hattie B's (very much disagree with the person who spoke against it).

16. MastaaaGrillaaa

MastaaaGrillaaa Initiate (144) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Appreicate any help on this - best/easiest hot chicken to get to go en route from Airport to Bearded Iris? Customer meeting tomorrow, but we wanted to try hot chicken and BI and figured it was a good way to do so.

17. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (952) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

Hattie B’s Melrose does online ordering whenever they aren’t slammed. Order ahead of time and waltz pay the line to pick it up.

18. imyourhero21

Trader

I guess that is the easiest on the way to BI, all will suck at lunch time for parking . I would have said Charlotte pike, but too out of way.

19. MastaaaGrillaaa

MastaaaGrillaaa Initiate (144) Feb 10, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Thanks guys - land at 630pm local so it should work out

20. Turfguy

Turfguy Initiate (15) Dec 29, 2018 Minnesota

Any good Nashville updates for February?

21. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,104) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Southern Grist dropping new beers today..

22. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Savant (948) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society

Bearded Iris had their birthday celebration this past weekend. As far as I know they still have the four birthday beers available on tap (Triple Homestyle, 2616 Flamingo Road, Rat-a-Tat, and One Man Band -- see here), but all bottles and cans of the special releases were sold out the day of.

Southern Grist's 3rd birthday celebration is this coming Saturday, so I would expect them to be releasing all kinds of interesting stuff (draft and canned) between now and then.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  23. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

Bearded Iris on Saturday was a good time. One Man Band is so good; head and shoulders above the rest of the releases in my opinion.

AmeriCanadian likes this.
  24. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Savant (948) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society

Totally agree. I really liked Triple Homestyle, and Rat-a-Tat and Flamingo Road were very solid, but One Man Band was the special release beer that really blew me away. Pretty ugly beer, but man did it smell and taste good. Really put those Pappy barrels to great use!

I unfortunately didn't get to stick around long enough to try more than one of the special guest beers (Foam's Youth Lagoon, which I wasn't all that impressed by). But it was certainly a good time.

25. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Devotee (459) Dec 23, 2010 New York

Good Morning,

My coworker is heading down and just wanted to know what a Bearded Iris release is like? Is there a line life situation or is it possible to show up later in the day and still make a pickup?

Cheers.

26. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (435) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

It's usually pretty chill

CreightonSM likes this.
  27. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Devotee (459) Dec 23, 2010 New York

28. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (70) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread. I'm heading to Nashville near the end of the month for business, and I'll be staying in what appears to be called North Nashville? It looks like it's sort of an industrial type place. I know Bearded Iris and Southern Grist are definitely going to be two that I check out in my limited time, but can anyone recommend some food places around there that are great?

For reference, I'm staying at the Candlewood Suites Nashville - Metro Center. I'd love to check out some hot chicken if there's anything close by. Thanks in advance!

29. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

Go to Yelp and search in the Germantown neighborhood (where Bearded Iris is located). I'd say it's about a mile from where you'll be. There are a ton of good restaurants in that neighborhood. Some personal favorites and others people love nearby...Butchertown Hall, 5th and Taylor, City House, Henrietta Red, Rolf & Daughters, Mop/Broom Mess Hall.

You'll probably be equidistant to either Southern Grist location, lot of good food options within reasonable proximity to both of them as well, would depend on which one you're going to, to get more specific.

30. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Savant (952) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

The Nations location of Southern Grist is right by a Hattie B’s. If you are looking to do beer and hot chicken in close proximity that is a good bet.

31. neelonjm

Great, thanks! I wasn’t sure what the exact location was called, so I’ll check out Germantown. Do you recommend one Southern Grist spot over the other?

32. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

The original location in East Nashville is a bit more cozey, in a good way, vs. the much larger, newer (but more sterile) look of the Nations taproom. From a beer perspective, they typically have identical tap lists, or very close to it. Traffic can often be more painful getting over to East Nashville, while I bet you could get over to the Nations in < 10 minutes from where you'll be.

Somewhat near the East Nashville location, I am highly partial to Mitchell's Deli.

If the Nations, check yelp for either the Nations or Sylvan Park neighborhoods. Hattie B's is a solid recommendation, as noted above. ML Rose for smashed double cheeseburgers and a solid tap list, Hugh Baby's for a local, solid fast food burger joint. Five Points Pizza (NY style), Chaatable (trendy Indian street food place), Bare Bones Butcher (a $$ cheeseburger if you are around early, I believe they close at 7pm), 51st Deli (walking distance from SG Nations). There's a pizza place in the same complex as SG Nations, Nicky's Coal Fired, which they have a relationship with and you can order their food in the taproom. Wife and I did it once and was a HUGE letdown, just my $0.02. Five Points does by the slice as well, FYI.

DIPALover, harperman69 and neelonjm like this.
  33. harperman69

harperman69 Initiate (191) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee

I agree with this assessment 100% Well, I haven't had Bare Bones Butcher but it's on the list.

34. imyourhero21

Trader

Lets not give away all the secret great places to eat like Bare Bones and 51st deli right away lol

VinHalen54 and mayorQuimby like this.
  35. neelonjm

I just looked up Bare Bones on Yelp, looks like a tiny place but damn that burger looks good.

36. imyourhero21

Trader

Its very small, but one of the best butcher shops/small markets in town and the food is crazy good. I was sorta kidding above about telling people, but not really haha

Buck89 and mayorQuimby like this.
  37. WPZY

Trader

I would add that Nicky's is good, but go eat there, don't order it through Grist. A lot more than a pizza place, good pasta, and occasionally on special the best Italian beef sandwich in town. And their frozen Aperol Spritz is lit.

imyourhero21 likes this.
  38. neelonjm

Thanks for all the advice guys! Are there any bottle shops around that area by any chance?

39. imyourhero21

Trader

Best bottle shop is Craft brewed. Midtown is closer and has good things as well. Not many stores in west Nash, but if you go to Bellevue for some reason , Reds and Iroquois are good and you might find something sotting as less people go to those stores.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  40. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (119) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

Craft Brewed has many Bearded Iris beers in cans that the Brewery ran out of. Plus the tap list is great! Really enjoyed getting Southern Grist (Vanillionaire) and Bearded Iris (V. Latte) in one stop!

neelonjm likes this.