Heading to Nashville

Discussion in 'South' started by TheEdmund, Jun 28, 2018.

1. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (70) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Just a follow up to my previous posts, I'm not sure I'll have the time to head to both Bearded Iris and Southern Grist. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good restaurant that would have both of those on tap? I'll be solo on a work trip, so even sitting at a bar and eating would be cool with me (and even preferable). Thanks in advance!

2. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (456) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

You'll struggle to find a decent showing from either of these breweries at restaurants around town on draft. Craft Brewed usually has 1-2 from each on. Their list is on untappd. Not really a restaurant though, they do have some very limited food options. One of the Filling Stations may have beers from both on, but again, not many. Their lists are usually updated on BeerMenus. Not restaurants, either.

In general, there is a lot of Bearded Iris Homestyle floating around in restaurants in the city. Anything beyond that seems a rare citing, and I legitimately cannot recall ever seeing SG on anywhere except the aforementioned beer bars.

If you are low on time, I'd recommend this course of action: Head over to SG Nations for a flight, run by 51st Deli and grab some food to go, and drive back to Bearded Iris (or run by your hotel and Uber) to sample there. They don't do flights/tasters, but do half pours.

3. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,760) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I saw this same thing when there last fall, didn't want to post for fear of not researching good enough, but some of the other breweries have a way better showing like Yazoo and such. Homestyle is easily attainable at most places, but saw very little on tap from Southern Grist at the restaurants we went to

4. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (70) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

Awesome, thanks for the tips! That's probably the route I'll take then. I also need to make some time for Peg Leg Porker, I really love dry ribs and heard they've got some great ones. Is Yazoo worth checking out since I'll be right there? I love sours and read that theirs are great, but it looks like they've only got 2-3 on tap right now. I'm not sure if it's worth it to spend time there for just those.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  5. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (488) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Trader

They only will have 2-3 on at a time of the sours, they are worth it and literally 500 feet from Peg Leg.

mayorQuimby and neelonjm like this.
  6. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

Peg Leg also has the best mac and cheese I have ever had. You will likely have some great sours at SG too, FYI.

neelonjm likes this.
  7. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (119) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

If you are in East Nashville or by the airport I recommend Uncle Bud's - lots of good food for little $$. But if you're not into catfish and chicken, across the street is Homegrown with a nice taplist of local brews: https://homegrownnashville.com/menu/

8. allenblaire

allenblaire Initiate (26) Mar 6, 2019 Tennessee

You could check you the new Jackalope taproom called The Ranch, and hit up Hemingway's Bar & Hideaway across the street from it. Really liked Hemingway's, they have a lot of great food.

https://jackalopebrew.com/about-us/the-ranch/
    http://hemingwaysbarandhideaway.com/

neelonjm likes this.
  9. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,804) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

I've got a friend who will be staying less than a mile from Midtown Corkdocks wine, spirits, beer this weekend..

I need to get her a list of some cans or bottles she can bring back for me. I have no idea what will be available in the store there and they don't list much on their facebook page. From the sounds of this thread Southern Grist and Bearded Iris are well thought of for IPA's. Would one expect to see those at a place like that?

Also looking for some other beers exclusive to the area. Enjoy all styles except sours so pretty much open to anything other than that. Any particular breweries to have her focus on that would be available at this place other than the two I mentioned earlier?

Thanks for any help anyone can lend.

10. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

She'll only be 5-10 min from both SG Nations and Bearded Iris. Best served to hit the source for what's current vs. what may or may not be at the liquor store.

ZAP likes this.
  11. AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian Savant (948) Jul 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Society

I agree with Mayor Quimby that picking up 4-packs at BI or SG Nations is the best bet for freshness, variety, and special releases that don't make it to liquor stores. But Midtown typically has a healthy stock of beers from both brewers and there should be plenty of options that are quite fresh. For BI it's all about the IPAs/IIPAs. I was at Midtown yesterday and they have plenty of Homestyle, Tunnel Vision, and Double Scatterbrain, along with a couple one-offs. SG produces a wider variety of beers than BI, so while they certainly have some hoppy options (Mixed Greens is their staple hazy IPA) most of their beers are sours and crazy combinations of beer styles and adjuncts. Based on what I saw available at Midtown, I'd recommend going with Copra Kai (maple- and vanilla-infused stout that is quite good). I, personally, don't think their IPAs are as good as BI's, but they have a few different hoppy, non-funky beers available at Midtown. You need to be a little more careful with the age on the SG beers vs. the BI beers, in my experience.

As for other locals to consider, I think New Heights does some great stuff, in particular (if you're a stout drink) Naval Gazer. There will definitely be cans of that at Midtown and it's an exceptional beer. Smith & Lentz is high quality, as well. There are plenty of other local beers in stock at Midtown (Mantra, Yazoo, Jackalope, Tailgate, Fat Bottom, HonkyTonk, Turtle Anarchy, Black Abbey, Czann's, etc), but in my opinion if you want a sampling of the best Nashville has to offer, BI, SG, New Heights, and S&L (and Yazoo's Embrace the Funk brand, but you said you aren't into that genre) will cover everything you're looking for.

Buck89, jdhops and mayorQuimby like this.
  12. ZAP

Awesome. Thanks for the great ideas. I'll look into those other breweries as well. I gave her $100 to spend so need to figure out a plan. Looks like definitely BI IPA's and perhaps that maple-vanilla stout from SG.

13. ZAP

I won't secure the cargo until this weekend but it sounds like a successful venture. I'll let you know what I ended up getting when I get it all in my hands. Thanks again everyone for the help.

14. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (178) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Let us know what you score. For what it’s worth here in Knoxville I like to visit bottle shops since the let me mix and match BI and SG where as the our local breweries only sell the 4pks of the same beer. But when I’m sending a box to someone I like to send various options and it’s a lot cheaper to purchase one 4pk of 4 different beers.‍♂️

ZAP likes this.
  15. ZAP

Ok. Here is what I came away with. Four packs of the following. I've tried one of each and liked them all to varying degrees. More detailed reviews to come. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

SG Noise Polution
    SG Navigating Nothings
    SG DD Mixed Greens
    SG Copra Kai
    BI Homestyle
    New Heights Navel Gazer

Buck89, allenblaire and AmeriCanadian like this.
  16. Jasonja1474

Society Trader

Nice haul!!! I love all those. Probably Homestyle is my favorite and most go to.

17. Slack

Slack Champion (886) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Going to be headed into town next week. Any recommendations for a solid dinner, preferably with beer options? Probably going to do Husk, just because we have been to the other three.

18. Jasonja1474

Society Trader

Coming through Knoxville to get there?

19. Slack

Trader

Unfortunately no, we are flying out of DCA and in town for Wednesday to Saturday.

20. Jasonja1474

Society Trader

@Slack ok I could make some good recommendations for Knoxville but not Nashville. Other than breweries I don’t really know about restaurants. I’m sure a ton of places will have Bearded Iris and Southern Grist on tap. New Heights and Mayday would be good choices too. Oh ya Yazoo just opened up a new brewery/restaurant give them a try, it looks huge.

Slack likes this.
  21. jdhops

jdhops Disciple (379) Dec 30, 2011 Tennessee
    Society

City House has great food and a good tap list. Butchertown Hall has a great tap list and good food. Both are in Germantown near Bearded Iris.

Lots of food recs in this thread. Almost any downtown restaurant will be mobbed on weekends.

Bearded Iris and Southern Grist are not available in "tons of places." Homestyle is fairly easy to find, but Southern Grist on tap outside their taprooms is not.

mayorQuimby and Slack like this.
  22. imyourhero21

Trader

As posted above, Grist in on tap at maybe 5 places around town, depending on the day. Depends on what kinda food you want, but right now two of the better/newer local places to eat are Folk and Pelican & Pig. Husk is very good as well, i actually like getting lunch there more than dinner, but cant go wrong. Have more recs if needed , all depends on what you want and how adventurous you wanna be

23. Slack

Trader

Appreciate all the responses. I am definitely more of a foodie than the mrs but she enjoys lots of things.

24. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

If looking for lunch on a weekday, I just hit Redheaded Stranger for the first time this week and it was bombdotcom. Not a beer destination, just awesome in general.

Slack and Jasonja1474 like this.
  25. Slack

Trader

Ended up hitting Southern Grist on the west side of town, Bearded Iris, Jakelope, and New Heights. SG and BI where far above the rest. Super disappointed that Yazoo relocated. Peg Leg Porker ribs were awesome and the Mac and Cheese, which I don't like, was fantastic. Husk was ok. Henley was nice. 5th and Taylor was really good - nice selection of bourbon that was fairly priced compared to DC.

26. Jasonja1474

Society Trader

Looks like you may have a nice haul going home!

27. Slack

Trader

Only what I carried in my belly! We hopped around a lot so it wasn’t feasible to haul around cans/crowlers. Next time will probably be a different story...in the interim, I will just have to trade for them :grin:

Jasonja1474 likes this.
  28. kanderna

kanderna Initiate (121) Sep 8, 2009 Iowa

Hey everybody... will be driving through (literally) with the fam on Thursday and I have 2 questions:

1. Was planning on stopping at Craft Brewed, but my main draw would be BI stuff (and random mix of others)... if there isn't anything sitting on shelves right now that I HAVE to try (that's my question), I will probably just make a stop at BI instead. Follow-up: does BI do crowlers or growler fills?

2. I've written down every restaurant suggestion (thanks!) to go research, but if you could narrow it down to a few kid friendly (fam of 5... chicken strip/m&c options) choices, which would you pick? I'd love to try some hot chicken, but something tells me my goals vs. good family options don't match up well. :slight_smile: Also, path through is 24S & 40E (plus BI stop) if that helps at all.

Thanks!

29. imyourhero21

Trader

BI does crowlers , they have about 6-8 different cans right now, but you have to buy in 4 packs, as craft brewed you can get singles. Id stop at Southern grist right now, they just released Insert Juicy Pun last weekend and its best ipa in town right now for sure. Hattie bs may not be the best hot chicken in town , but it will be the best for the family if you want chicken strips/m&c and hot chicken as well. Just avoid midtown location , id suggest Charlotte pike or 8th ave location. You can order ahead online as well which can also help cut down wait time.

mayorQuimby likes this.
  30. mayorQuimby

Society Trader

Second these recommendations across the board. Skip Craft Brewed unless just planning to quickly shop; a good place but won't be fun for the family to hang out at. Hit the sources for beer and Hattie B's has chicken all the way down to "southern" for the kids (i.e., standard fried; not spicy). Should also consider food at Peg Leg Porker, which is very close to downtown and the I-40 / I-65 junction. Best mac and cheese of your life and solid BBQ.

31. imyourhero21

Trader

Dem Dry rub ribs and smoked green beans

Slack and mayorQuimby like this.
  32. kanderna

Thank you for that. I should clarify that my stop at any of BI, Craft Brewed, or SG will consist of family waiting in the car while I run in to grab some to-go options, then on to our dinner stop, so unfortunately no hang out time.

Avoid midtown because of wait, or other reasons?

33. imyourhero21

Trader

Yeah that is always the busiest one by far since most tourists can walk to it. 8th ave location is better for kids as well, they have outdoor patio seating and games out there. Still close to 24s/40e too

mayorQuimby likes this.
  34. kanderna

One last one... At BI or SG... is anything on tap fair game for crowlers, or do they limit it to a select few?

35. imyourhero21

Trader

Limited at both, at grist if its in cans they dont crowler it, and Bi they usually only crowler 2-3 beers, i think similar with if its in cans, no crowlers .