Heading to Richmond

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by BradC, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradC

BradC Disciple (366) Dec 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

Going to be in Richmond 1 night next week, any thing worth checking out other than Hardywood?

2. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay Aspirant (239) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Trader

The most common/popular answers, if you're staying in RVA proper, will be:
    The Answer/Mekong
    Ardent
    Strangeways

Enjoy your trip!

gopens44, raverjames, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  3. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

The Answer, I would go there over Hardywood or anywhere else if I could only go to one place. Ardent is also cool, and if its a nice day hit up Legend and sit on the portch for one of the best views in the city.

ElGordito and LeeEvolved like this.
  4. stereosforgeeks

stereosforgeeks Savant (939) Jul 10, 2005 Virginia

Triple Crossing! Best IPAs in the DC/MD/VA area.

nriech and LeeEvolved like this.
  5. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

The Triple Crossing IPAs are good, but I think The Answer's are better.

6. Vorsprung

Vorsprung Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Virginia

Nectar and Knife was amazing last weekend. At the same time, the Larceny series is also fantastic. You can't go wrong either way. If you've got to jam food and good beer in one place, Answer probably takes the cake. But the website trinkin has great resources for food+craft beer places

LeeEvolved likes this.
  7. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

8. LeeEvolved

LeeEvolved Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 Virginia

You can't go wrong at Answer/Mekong. If it's breweries you're looking for: Hardywood is nice, Strangeways is, well, strange and if you like IPAs I'd say ride all the way downtown and visit Triple Crossing.

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (552) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

If you do go to Hardywood, Isley Brewing is a very short distance away. Choosy Mother (peanut butter porter) is probably what they're best known for, and they may have Stunt Dubbel (pumpkin dubbel) on when you get there. Black IPA (Tall Dark and Hopsome) is great as well.

10. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (535) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I echo much of what has already been said. Triple Crossing & The Answer have the best IPAs in RVA. Mekong & The Answer share the same building and ownership. They also have completely different (and big) tap lists. Isley & Ardent are right around the block from one another. Strangeways is your place if you like sours. Legend has the best view of the RVA skyline and pretty solid beer. They also are one of the few breweries that will be open before 4pm during the week. I believe Strangeways is the only other one (opens at Noon) I know of. If you are looking for some bottles/cans to take back to PA with you just let us know what part of RVA you will be around and we can share those as well.

SwillBilly and LeeEvolved like this.
  11. Cobratrooper

Cobratrooper Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Virginia

how I would prioritize them

Answer / Mekong
    Triple crossing
    Strangeways
    Hardywood
    Ardent

LeeEvolved likes this.
  12. slusk

slusk Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2009 Virginia

julielynndubee and Vorsprung like this.
  13. JimmieLovesBeer

JimmieLovesBeer Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2015 Virginia

All of the above 100%. Also check out Jack Brown's in cary town- good burger/bar joint. You need to go to Legend Brewery though. Its the grand dad of the the craft brew scene in RVA... i mean you cant go wrong with a Legend Brown Ale. If anything pick yourself up a good six pack and go to Belle Isle.

14. Brewpup

Brewpup Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2015 North Carolina

Do yourself a favor and skip strange ways. Went there one time on the advice of many and was throughly disappointed by the beer and the staff. Super pricey bottles to take home and some rude ass staff wearing bandanas like someone on surviver. Mekongs/hardywood/tripple crossing is the way to go. Also check out corks and kegs if you have time. Awesome store owner and has a really good selection.

15. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (636) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

for the criticisms (some deserved) Strangeways gets, they are easily the most interesting brewery in VA.
    there is usually like 2-3 variants of every brew on tap so there is almost always something new you haven't had before, even if you're a regular.

16. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Initiate (161) May 17, 2012 Florida

I'll be in Richmond Labor day weekend Fri-Mon with a 12 bottle shipper of FL Whalez (3-sons, Cycle, Wakefield, Buddha)....ill be drinking and eating around town all weekend with my buddy Kyle....hit me up if anyone wants to share some awesome beers! Cheers!

LeeEvolved, Shilt and Cobratrooper like this.
  17. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (860) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Instead you should drive 3 more hours north and stop up into my neck of VA woods and share some of those FL Whalez

18. BlumBeer

Or you could drive 3 hours south.........

Iamjeff6 likes this.
  19. The_FishermanJay

Trader

That ain't happening. NoVA boys (@Iamjeff6) start getting twitchy if they get as far south in the Commonwealth as I-66. It's got the same effect as those invisible fences have on dogs ...

:wink::stuck_out_tongue::rolling_eyes: (sorta ... mostly)

LeeEvolved and Iamjeff6 like this.
  20. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (860) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

I used to drive to RVA every other weekend for about a year. Ive served my timed traveling down 95.

The_FishermanJay likes this.
  21. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Aspirant (216) Mar 16, 2010 Colorado

Definitely Mekong for both the food and the beer. The Answer (brewery next door) is just ok. Capital Alehouse downtown is great. Hardywood is worth the visit. My favorite though is Lickinghole Creek in Goochland.

Tons of other options within a 2 hour drive if you have time to hit Western VA (Brothers in Harrisonburg, Devil's Backbone in Lexington, Champion - Charlottesville) or Norfolk (Young Veterans, Smartmouth, O'Connor, and The Birch (bar)).

RVA and VA are underrated as a beer city and state.

22. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

What?! Every beer I had from the Answer was amazing. Add that to the fact that they also carry other breweries' beers, and it is a must hit for RVA. Cap Alehouse just isn't what it used to be. For me, that time is better spent at Commercial Tap House and Cask Cafe.

23. blindtiger24

blindtiger24 Aspirant (216) Mar 16, 2010 Colorado

Fair enough, raverjames. The few Answer's I've had were so-so. Take the true local's opinion over mine.

24. BlumBeer

I think we're bottle sharing at Mekong Saturday sept 5 if you guys are down for some adjunct stouts and eggrolls

LeeEvolved and Shilt like this.
  25. LeeEvolved

Agree 100%

Answer is the bomb. Lots of times I don't even bother walking around to Mekong. The food menu has expanded, the beers are killer and it just feels like a brewpub should. If this bottle share gains some traction you could possibly even use the private, upstairs lounge.

26. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

I am not a local anymore. :slight_frown:
    I am not sure what they were like when the first opened, but they have been brewing world class IPAs the last month or so.

27. brocktune

brocktune Zealot (566) Nov 3, 2013 Virginia

Definitely Strangeways, Mekong and Ardent.

28. BradC

Thanks for the suggestions, we will be staying in the West End off of I 64? Not familiar with the area, will have a car, so a little driving isn't out of the question.

29. The_FishermanJay

Trader

"West end off of I-64" is pretty broad ... and, in fact, Broad Street runs out that way. Mekong/The Answer are along Broad Street, just south of the interstate.

Everything that everyone has said above is still on the table for you. The only thing I'd add is that if you're on the west-west end of town (as in, the Short Pump area), there is a Capital Ale House out that way as well as a Whole Foods. The Whole Foods has a nice beer selection as well as a growler-fill station from which you can also buy pints to drink while shopping or eating.

I wouldn't replace anything mentioned above with these two places but they are really nice options at the end of a day if you're staying out that way. Cheers!

Vorsprung likes this.
  30. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,064) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Well, do your a favor and travel to The Old North State. The deep synergy between North Carolina and Virginia far predates any self-importance any modern "Nova" boy harbors. I love Virginia. I hate what has happened at Smith Mountain Lake this morning. And good day to you.

31. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Zealot (539) Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

Did a weekend in RVA in early July. Hit the northside of downtown stopping at Mekong/Answer, Strangeways, Ardent, Isley and Hardywood. Next day went downtown and hit Cap Ale House, Triple Crossing, Southern Railyway Taphouse and Legend. You really can't go wrong, solid beers all over the city.

32. montman

montman Devotee (417) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Headed up this weekend to RVA from VA beach to visit some friends/family, planning to stop by the answer at some point, as sadly I seem to miss it every time I'm in the area. It seems from their website they do growlers/crowlers, any suggestions on one or two of thier own IPA's to grab, if thier website is accurate they have quite a few.

33. kajunwaybright

kajunwaybright Initiate (63) May 23, 2014 North Carolina

You must try the "An-dalled" (named after the owner, An) beers at Mekong. There are typically 4 beers running through a randall at a time, and they are almost always outstanding.

Strangeways definitely has my favorite atmosphere/vibe of any beer spot in Richmond.

The Answer's (D)IPAs are all pretty tasty. They typically have several on at a time. I've heard their new one, Hard in the Paint, is pretty awesome.

Enjoy!

LeeEvolved and montman like this.
  34. Vorsprung

Vorsprung Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Virginia

If you're west-west end, De Fles Winkle also is a great beer shop too, not too far from Whole Foods. And I pimp it a lot--no affiliation--but if you're on the go and need to find a good place close to where you are, Trinkin is great.

35. BradC

Thanks for all the tips, we managed to hit Answer and Strangeways. Answer had great house IPA's, Strangeways, while strange, their beer was a little off for us, but nice atmosphere for sure.

36. LeeEvolved

Strangeways always leaves me SMH. 25-ish taps and $60+ for flights of mediocre or downright bad beer. The weird atmosphere can't make up for the lousy beer. 1 out of every 5-6 beers are usually solid, but the rest are bad. If you like to "tick" beer this is your place and that's about it. Otherwise, spend your money elsewhere in the RVA.

jaymo18 and beernuts like this.
  37. Cobratrooper

Cobratrooper Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Virginia

Strangeways Word & Otis were really good but I think they have both been retired. Why I dunno.

julielynndubee and LeeEvolved like this.
  38. LeeEvolved

Tom seems to think that OTIS will be brewed again this fall after they tweak the original recipe. I'm at a loss as to why they wouldn't brew Word again- it was one of the better sours (even the Word variants were solid IIRC)

39. ncaudle

ncaudle Defender (636) May 28, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Blueberry Word may still be my all time fav VA beer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.