Heady Topper gone bad?

Discussion in 'New England' started by eb1610, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

could it be that they're using different hops thus, changing the hop flavor of this beer. could it be as simple as that?

. I think this video will help.

RyanOooh likes this.
  2. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (442) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts

HRamz3 likes this.
  3. Crowthern

Crowthern Initiate (0) May 15, 2014 Massachusetts

My though is that perhaps since the sale of Heady Topper is now largely at places out of their control, perhaps one of the locations I bought my beer from in Waterbury did not store it correctly.

4. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (895) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Extremely unlikely. The Alchemist has their 'Authorized Heady Topper Retailer' program where each retailer understands it needs to be kept cold etc... Matteo delivers each case cold, it's kept cold at the stores. I've bought Heady all over the 25 mile radius where it is sold and it's always been nice and cold.

jamesewelch likes this.
  5. dasenebler

dasenebler Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 Maine

The color difference between those two beers in the video SCREAMS oxidation to me. Darkening beer is a big indicator of oxidation.

6. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (242) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

That's cuz the 2nd can is almost a year old.

7. mctaco

mctaco Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Connecticut

we get a case of HT a month (at least) and have noticed that the recent batches have been not as good as i remember. maybe i am just tired of HT (i will cry on the inside because it's my most favorite ever)? we had a bunch of people over this weekend and they mentioned it wasn't as good as it was before either. that's my .02

8. shlauncha

shlauncha Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Were you listening to The Dude's story, Donny? :wink:

9. Brutus627

Brutus627 Aspirant (247) Feb 3, 2014 Maine
    Trader

I agree having had heady a handful of times over the past year, the last four pack that I had scared me...I thought that either I broke my palate or something was off. The easy way I thought to confirm the issue was to have the Double Sunshine sitting in my fridge the next day and then have a fresh Calcutta Cutter the day after that. Both the DS and the CC were fantastic and I had another one of the heady's from the four pack with the same result. As has been stated the first time I had heady and several times after the resin/grassy notes were way more prominent and almost progessively separated (as in several unique hop characteristics could be detected individually) throughout the sip. interesting...
    btw haha even a "bad" heady is flippin delicious!

10. JCrider

JCrider Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

I had a 4 pack from this last truck sale. All 4 cans were perfectly fine.

11. BobCobb

BobCobb Aspirant (248) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Same experience here. Had some cans beginning of April that were so good I commented to all of my 3 friends on Untappd that it seems to be getting better over time. I grabbed a couple more 4 packs last week, and the first several cans were very mediocre. I wondered if it just seemed weaker comparatively since I also had growlers of S&S5, Abner, etc., or if my opinion was being influenced by the talk on here. I don't think either of those could account for the difference I noticed. Still, "bad" never crossed my mind.

12. Hiwattowner

Hiwattowner Devotee (431) Feb 23, 2008 Massachusetts

One time, in Band Camp, I drank a Heady Topper. And it was good.

A couple of cases of Heady in my frig, both older and new. In my humble Band Camp opinion, tastes the same and as good as ever.

NickDrista and EvilAsh like this.
  13. Flashy

Flashy Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Had it HT for the first time in months and though it was great. What the heck is it with the colors on the bases of the cans, I think they are just messing with us. All four cans in my four packs had different colors.

14. sarro

sarro Initiate (0) May 12, 2009 Michigan

This is exactly what I experienced drinking Heady on tap at Arvad's (between Reservoir & Pro Pig) in Waterbury and then from a can this weekend.
    Unfortunately, that yeast and all it's flavor makes Heady Topper what it is so I doubt I'll be drinking any more of this batch.

15. Flashy

And to confuse matters my buddy who I mentioned in an earlier post said he thought HT was as awesome as the first time this time. But looking at all the above I think they have a few minor QC issues to deal with.

16. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts

I've been following this thread...I've had a lot of cans over the last year from several different batches. I had a case that I worked on for about four months and the beers tasted as good at the end as they did when they were a week old, the best.

A friend of mine brought me a new 4 pack that he got in Waterbury on Wednesday. I just opened a can. I hate to say it but I agree, this can is just not what I know Heady to be. Very subdued aroma and flavor.

InspectorBob likes this.
  17. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (895) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

Flashy, Jen posted the the dabs of color come from the can manufacturer. The different colors denote which actual machine made the can. If some cans fail or have issues, the manufacturer can then easily track it back to the specific machine. Has nothing to do with The Alchemist. :slight_smile:

18. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 Illinois

My friends and I visit Waterbury a few times a year and we always grab some heady. We just got back June 12th and we each tried a can of heady and all agreed it does not taste the same. There isn't that fresh grapefruit in your face explosion... It's still fantastic! We just came to terms that it's not the mind blower it once was. #buylotsofcases

19. RyanOooh

RyanOooh Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Vermont

Heady is Heady, the only thing that screws up the flavor is...other beer or poor food choices, of which I'm guilty of BOTH...
    I say; never drink a heady after a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Nah...never.
    It does not go well with other DIPAs imo...except Sip Of Sunshine. Who knows.
    If a retailer mishandled the cans...people would know. It's a very small distribution area in a tiny state.

jamesewelch, dunix and youbrewidrink like this.
  20. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (269) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I think what we are all starting to realize and notice is pallet change. But in a more rapid pace. The more I have come to drink mainly "big" beers and DIPAS I have noticed that my taste changes constantly!

Do yourself a favor. Pick a few of your favorite DIPAs or IPAS out and choose an order to drink them in, including a Heady.

Then take the same beers the next day and change up the order including heady. Guarantee you will find some less appealing then you did the day before. The order, since so many of these popular aggressive beers are so strong can truly dictate what your experience is. We are so obsessed with such complex, high profile beers that when we change out pallet even the slightest bit its hard for us to get that same experience again, and it kind of bums us out.

In my opinion I don't know if Heady has ever tasted as good as it did that first time I had a taster of it years back when they opened. Time changes out thoughts and perceptions. As does the order and the beers we choose to drink.

Have fun with it, chances are it's not the brewery.

21. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (446) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

palate?

22. Nav71292

Nav71292 Initiate (114) Oct 14, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Looking to maybe resurrect this forum. Anyone have issues with HT recently? Some friends went up to VT and scored some last Thursday/Friday and they're saying it tasted oxidized and "peanut-buttery". It was fresh off the truck.

I've got a different friend grabbing a case this week and bringing it back soon, so I'm afraid of running into this. Either way, I'll report back, but I was just wondering if there are any other reports of a bad batch out there.

23. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (153) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Just had a can the other night that was 2 months old or so, not quite a sharp as a fresh can but still very good, no grassy tastes.

24. jamis

jamis Initiate (157) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I haven't had any 'bad' cans, but I have been noticing more variation over the last few months. There was a batch in March that I thought was fantastic. One of the best I have had. I had a more recent batch from the end of April that I didn't like nearly as much.

Nav71292 likes this.
  25. HeyHayward

HeyHayward Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 New York

Got a few cans a couple weeks ago, tasted just fine.

Pro tip: don't drink like 6 huge DIPA hop bombs in one sitting and expect to get a completely accurate representation of each beer.

26. Nav71292

Nav71292 Initiate (114) Oct 14, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

Don't think that was the case here. These guys both said 3-4 cans were off and it sounded like they had them across a couple nights. They both know their shit and have had HT multiple times. Hopefully it was an isolated thing.

27. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,139) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm still drinking through cans I purchased the 1st week of April and it still tastes good. Kind of amazing. This is the 2nd time I have a case that lasts me longer than I intended (2-3 months) and I'm yet again amazed how good it still tastes. It changes a bit obviously, but it's amazing how it morphs and tastes almost fruity to me with a little time on it.

jlordi12 likes this.
  28. sgulner

sgulner Initiate (149) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts

I think now the pre-requisite response to all this bantering is my most annoying line I see on BA. "I'll gladly take yours for testing".
    Seriously, people anywhere outside of the NE area would bend over any which way to try this, and here we are talking about grassiness and minute changes in taste. Enjoy the riches we have..or, as I said, send it to me :wink:

skivtjerry likes this.
  29. Flashy

Drank plenty last week, tasted great.

skivtjerry likes this.
  30. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (418) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

I agree it has changed -- not for the better. Aroma not as crazy as it was and agree w folks characterization of a slight oxidized flavor . Still very crushable - but something has changed. Not as bad as the recent swings of quality at HF w/Edward and Susan - but noticable over the past 6 months and ~6 or so cases. Of course - it could also be related to my Trillium fried palate -- there is no juicier APAs/IPAs/DIPA's than the line up at Fort Point -- drinking that stuff every night has moved my likes to tropical/citrus extreme.

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  31. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (259) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

^yup

friends and I got some last weekend. I too thought I'd noticed a change but I chocked it up to my drinking Tree House for the past year. Previous Heady cans made my head spin when I opened them. That aroma was simply amazing! Somehow, now it's just not as stunning. I didnt necessarily pick up oxidation, just less "over the topper-ness" It still tasted great, but somehow it's just not as mindblowing as it was 4 years ago when I first had it

Nav71292 and -Rick like this.
  32. Mikecap

Mikecap Crusader (796) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Fuckin Julius. It's all his fault

Nav71292 and darkandhoppy like this.
  33. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (512) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Heady was the first IIPA that made my head spin when I drank it. But, that was also many years ago, before the market had been flooded with so many new and amazing breweries. I do not think that HT has changed at all, but I now enjoy drinking Trillium and Tree House more... and find their flavors to be more mind blowing. IMO, its the same beer it has always been, but I have moved on to beers I find even better.

34. ddobrydney

ddobrydney Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Vermont

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! I like standing in lines, don't ruin that man.

schteve and -Rick like this.
  35. MEBully

MEBully Initiate (50) Nov 13, 2013 Massachusetts

Heady has most certainly changed. Been drinking it for 4 yrs now and up until 6mos or so, every can pop and sniff, and every sip, I said "God damn!...". No more

Had a can side by side w focal banger on Monday. Focal's got it. Heady ain't...

I buy it by the case every month or so. Keeping the faith, but wtf?

I want my heady back!

Bully

36. pavement714

pavement714 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2010 Massachusetts

While I'm sure there are variations in the batches, this is probably the most likely scenario. The first time I had Heady Topper I had not tried Trillium, Treehouse, Dinner, etc. At the time Heady was the juiciest IPA I'd ever had and it blew my mind. Now, I see the flavor as much more of a combo of juicy hops/spicy maltiness versus a a straight-up citrus explosion like, say, Double Dry Hopped Melcher Street. The next time I had Heady after trying those type of beers I felt disappointed. But now that I know what to expect from Heady's flavor profile I think it's still amazing. It's apples and oranges. I actually don't get the Focal Banger hype, seems like Alchemist's attempt at those juice bombs but it doesn't compare to the aforementioned breweries. I would take Heady over it any day.

-Rick and woodfinish like this.
  37. AntG21

AntG21 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Syria

Oh good! So I should soon be able to pick some up at Price Chopper!

38. celfan

celfan Aspirant (225) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont

Sounds like me and Double Sunshine.

39. blackngold41

blackngold41 Initiate (67) Jun 15, 2012 Connecticut

I had a can yesterday that was purchased last Fri in VT and it was just as good as I remember it being about 2 years ago, when I first tried it.

40. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (269) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Had to find this post...as I was a bit stunned by something.

Last weekend I opened up a can of Heady that I got 2 years agao...yes two. Kept it cold since purchase but for shits and giggles we held on to some. It tasted fantastic...clear as piss but tasted lovely. Still had the grapefruit tropical flavors and everything hops I love about Heady Topper.

Now about 3 weeks prior my co worked invited me in to put together his new porch table. He graciously offered me a can of silver goodness. We both cracked them, sniffed, and sipped. These were a very recent purchase and fresh and kept cold. TO ME...and I am no expert, I thought my can tasted WAY off, not disgusting off putting but far enough off I thought it was strange and just not what I had expected. I hadn't had a heady in quite some time so I would have savored that first taste. But it was off putting to me and I kept my mouth shut. A few minutes later my co worked looked at me and asked hey does this not taste right to you? I was shocked and said shit man I feel the same exact way. Which would discount my view of it being influenced by his taste. We then swapped cans. Same exact taste and flavor. As if almost lacking the tropical fruit and juicyness you expect from Heady and that amazing hop aroma. Not malty per-se but a bit astringent and bitter. Like it had sat for weeks and weeks....and weeks. Which it had not and was bought by a reputable source from a store that sells out weekly. Which....considering my 2 year old can tasted light years better says something.

The good news. I believe have 2 if not 3 more 2 year old cans to compare. So I get to do this all over again with another fresh heady next time we have one available, which should be soon.

I don't want to fuel the fire here but I was shocked that something I've held onto for so long could still taste so good and that something I had that was fresh just did not taste as good. Both times I was not Palate wrecked at all.

I'm more confused then shocked. If posting a pic on here wasn't so difficult I'd post my pic of the clear Heady.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.