Hefeweizen Love

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GSS, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSS

GSS Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 China

Long story short. My wife and I moved to China about six weeks ago and a lot of European beer is available. Hefeweizens, in particular, seem to be very common, so I have been drinking a fair number of them. It's a style I haven't had much of in the past few years and I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. I had a Weihenstephaner for the first time in a while the other day. What a spectacular beer. IMO the best I've had within the style.

2. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,846) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

A style im getting into currently. Not a fan of banana anything, but i like the more subtle ones ive had. Not a big stout guy anymore so currently, Hefes, belgians and IPAs are getting me through cooler weather months.

3. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

My favorite hefeweizen. I love wheat beers in general, and hefeweizen is one of my favorite beer styles overall.

4. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (557) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

I think the Ayinger Brau-Weisse is my favorite of the classic German hefes. I'm also a big fan of a good dunkelweisse, it's a shame you don't see them more often.

5. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Hefe Weizen is a great breakfast beer. Had one in the Frankfurt train station in the early 70s with a plate of sausage. Also goes well with eggs. Weihenstephaner is especially nice. Found one on tap last night.

6. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (151) May 5, 2013 Illinois

That's a great hefe. it's always a very nice summer beer for me. i particularly like that nice banana and clove taste. Having never been to China, I have no idea what options you'll have over there, but you've got one of the best hefe's out there.

DarthVorador likes this.
  7. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

We had a similar realization when we moved down and lived in the Caribbean for two and a half years. European beer galore, so we found ourselves drinking a lot, lot more of stuff like Chimay Blue and Delirium Tremens, and the likes, with, of course, a smattering of unmentionable horrors from every corner of Europe. It really gives you a fresh take on things.

dcotom likes this.
  8. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia

Weihenstephaner's Hefe defines the style to me. If available, you should try their other beers which are also world class. The brewery has been around for almost a millennia, so it makes sense that they know how to produce amazing beers.

twb0392, tone77, JamLand and 2 others like this.
  9. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

If you are in SoCal, a great one is Mother Earth Brewing Co.'s Honcho Hef... delicious banana flavor & aroma. Currently, Hefe's are my new favorite style besides IPAs & Pale Ales.

10. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Weihenstephaner is probably my favorite of the style if we're talking German. If we're talking American takes my favorite is SN Kellerweis.

11. LODGE4

LODGE4 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2012 Florida

12. alucard6679

alucard6679 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Hofbrau, Hacker-Pschorr, Ayinger and Schneider & Sohn (they have 3 different hefes I believe and all are great) are the best aside from Weihenstephaner (its kinda like listing great mafia movies, you already know that Godfather is number 1 so you might as well just list the runner ups :wink:)

DarthVorador and cavedave like this.
  13. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2012 England

I would never have bothered with Hefeweizens had it not been for living in Korea for three years. Like in China there were quite a few European exports. It's firmly one of my favourite styles now.

cavedave likes this.
  14. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,846) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

While maybe not available in china my favorite Hefeweizen is Neshaminy Creeks Highwater Hefeweizen.

15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,880) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Love Hefe's and Weizenbocks

DarthVorador likes this.
  16. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (110) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

It unquestionably is the best in the style. GREAT, GREAT beer.

DarthVorador and OldManMetal like this.
  17. MuFugga

MuFugga Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Wisconsin

Picked up a Nein from Surly the other day which is a dark hefe. I'm looking forward to trying it and seeing if it is a true hefe or not.

18. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (297) Nov 3, 2005 California

My favorite style, hands down.

Great aromas achieved through yeast rather than hops, bold flavor, medium alcohol level - what's not to like?

19. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (3,221) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I like the Paulaner hefeweizen myself. Good to see that the Chinese have reasonable taste in beer. (I had a Tsingtao this weekend that I would not considers "reasonable"). ☺️

20. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,056) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

I also love Weihenstephaner's Hefe. One of my favorite beers. Domestically I really like Sly Fox's Royal Weiss.

DarthVorador likes this.
  21. prost2hefeweizen

prost2hefeweizen Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2015 Oklahoma

weihenstephaner is my favorite but i am also a big fan of paulaner and franziskaner! cheers!!

DarthVorador likes this.
  22. Cannabanoid

Cannabanoid Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2015 Massachusetts

I love Weihenstephaner. This is the beer I judge all other hefeweizen by. Still haven't found one better. Most are pale in comparison.

DarthVorador likes this.
  23. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

I'm definitely a banana-ester-head. Hefes, dunkelweizens, and weizenbocks make routine appearances in my fridge. I'd second the person who prefers Ayinger Brau-Weisse to Weihenstephaner, but you can't go wrong with either of those beers!

If you want to go for some "imperial" hefeweizen flavors, grab a weizenbock! If you can find either of them, Schneider Tap 6 Aventinus can't be beat for those who like the somewhat maltier dunkelweizen flavors, while Weihenstephaner Vitus is the Turbo Edition of their hefeweizen. Awesome stuff.

24. Belial

Belial Initiate (34) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

its one of my favorite styles. i was really upset when new glarus didnt do dancing man wheat

25. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

As mentioned in some of the posts above, if you have the opportunity, try Weihenstephaner's Vitus--their Weizenbock. It is dynamite.

I've been drinking an obscene amount of Vitus and the Hefe lately.

#25 HopSavant, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    DarthVorador and lambpasty like this.
  26. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,685) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Most of the Munich-area weissbiers are excellent - so just grab whichever one is freshest and most readily available. Some are sweeter and fruitier (Paulaner, Weihenstephaner), and others are earthier (Schneider, Augustiner), so it can be fun to find which you enjoy most.

cavedave likes this.
  27. SLewis

SLewis Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Paulaner is also very very good. It's just a step under Weihenstephaner for me.

Pete9094 and prost2hefeweizen like this.
  28. prost2hefeweizen

29. didgeboy

didgeboy Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2006 Washington

you must have been a tanker, right?

30. didgeboy

didgeboy Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2006 Washington

If you can find it Maisel's is one of the best wheat beers made. Kristalweisse, Hefeweisse or Dunkleweiss. all great.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  31. prost2hefeweizen

hefe's are my favorite styler of beer

[​IMG]

Premo88 likes this.
  32. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,520) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Allgauer Brauhaus makes a fine hefe. Not too easy to find around here any more, but a solid offering.

Premo88 likes this.
  33. Erlkoenig

Erlkoenig Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2015 Colorado

Hefeweizens were the first beers that pulled me into the realms of GOOD beer. I'm going to reinforce the status quo of "everyone loves Weihenstephaner", but I really love any Hefe with good yeast and balance. And they're as beautiful a beer as you can behold.

Premo88 likes this.
  34. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Nah, Hippie riding the Amsterdam-Milano Express taking refuge from train food. Your Weizen recommendations are spot on.

35. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I love em too, especially cause homebrewing a tasty one is fairly easy

ssam and Premo88 like this.
  36. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,026) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

since you're in China (i've never been so i don't know how distribution works) but Hitachino Nest white ale from Japan is fantastic. it's a witbier but still is very good!

37. GSS

GSS Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 China

I have yet to see it in China, but was able to get it when I lived in Canada. I agree with you, it is a very good beer.

38. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (155) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

I miss heading down to the Venice Beach boardwalk and drinking a $3 Erdinger Hef at happy hour watching the sun go down over the Pacific.

[​IMG]

Premo88 likes this.
  39. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Weihenstephaner is incredible, and defines the style imo. Ayinger's hefe is an extremely close second for me.

40. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts

@GSS where in china are you currently?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.