Help Adding Images to Forum Posts

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by SierraNevallagash, Aug 1, 2019.

1. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (470) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Scroll down to the bold text to skip my preface and get strait to the main question.

I really did not want to create a post for this, but it seems i uave exhausted all of my options.
    Since I have been a member of BA, I have used Imgur to upload direct image links. A kind and helpful BA showed me how to do it, and it has been the only method I've been aware of. Imgur just changed their policy and no longer allows the use of the mobile site to upload images and get direct links. I downloaded thw app, and can't seem to find this option here either. I am not terribly technologically adept, and I cannot for the life of me figure out an equivalent to the old imgur direct image link option that worked perfectly.

What can I do to upload direct image links to BeerAdvocate, so I can continue to share photos? I have tried a few options, which only uploads a tiny little square that says "img" with no actual image showing up. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you,

Cheers.

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm using postimage, which I'm quite happy with, not sure how well it works from mobile devices though. Use the 7th link from the top and simply cut off the advertisement line that is sometimes added to the link manually.

3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

I second post image. Just copy the hotlink for forums. I previously used imgur and was having troubles with it. Post image works great and is easy. I use my phone 100% of the time to view BA and post images.

4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

On the Imgur app after you upload the photos it will appear in your gallery. Your photo gallery is the link at the bottom right that looks like a person. From your gallery click on the image and the share icon will also be the one on the bottom right. Copy the code and paste.

JayWhitson and ovaltine like this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Imgur, been using for a good while now, never had an issue and always easy.

Cheers

eppCOS, mikeinportc and nc41 like this.
  6. SierraNevallagash

Trader

[​IMG]
    Thank you so much. That was so much easier than I feared it would be. You've saved the day. Thank you!

7. SierraNevallagash

Trader

I kept trying to do that, but it only gives me this, which doesn't seem to be a direct image link
    [​IMG]

8. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

If you use the direct image link it should work.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,730) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

After trying or using others and having them go under or place severe restrictions, I opted for the paid service DropBox. I use it for all of my pictures, not just beer postings. Pretty slick - I take a picture on my phone, share it to DropBox, go to my laptop where it already shows up, edit it if needed (crop and rotate usually), copy a link from Windows Explorer, and paste it into the picture URL. I can have a picture online within 90 seconds if I don't need to edit it. I have posted directly from my phone, but that takes a little longer since image editing is more challenging. Like everything, when it comes to image hosting, you get what you pay for.

10. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Disciple (381) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

On my iPad, I tap the Share button and then Copy Link and it works fine. Not sure what your issue is. Sorry for the “non” answer.

11. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (889) Nov 15, 2008 US Minor Outlying Islands
    Society

I have done nothing but edit from an android/google photos app and postimage recently and it works swimmingly.

12. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I like this better than Imgur. Thanks for the tip!

[​IMG]

Shanex, eppCOS, BrewsOverHoes and 3 others like this.
  13. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Savant (934) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

Thanks for this.

After the changes to Imgur, I can’t get it to work right anymore. This one is so much easier anyway. Yay!

Shanex and Scrapss like this.
  14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Yep, I tried photobucket and I could never figure that out.

15. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (347) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

There's not an app so you have to use a browser; otherwise, it works very well on a phone. I especially like that it will automatically resize your photo.

16. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,724) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I’ve used Imgur for 5 years or so. It’s fast AND easy once you determine the correct buttons to select. I actually prefer the App now to the website - I can fly through it, even with no WiFi (though if I have a 3G signal, it’s flying in a biplane powered by a bicycle going down a BIIIIIG hill to get airborne).

17. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've been using the app for a few months and agree with the ease of use.

For years I used Flickr which was decent but I had to be at a computer to copy and paste the link which was extra work. I also have Photobucket which is equally easy to use but stamps your image with their watermark.

Shanex and ovaltine like this.
  18. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,775) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Imgur app for me. Very easy, no issues.

19. Scrapss

Society

Since @tolar111 asked for me to look at the damage on another thread, I wrote up this nice little tutorial for Firefox/Android

If you want me to do the iPhone version of this with the Apple methods, let me know. I have an iPhone sitting here I can do all this for too.

[​IMG]

After Choosing an image in your image gallery...

[​IMG]

Scroll down on this page to reveal the following information:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can annotate with text and post a nice beer pic.

#19 Scrapss, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  20. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I'm not sure if this is a mobile device issue, but on desktop it's actually much easier to simply copy and paste the "Hotlink for forums" directly into the message.

The only thing to keep in mind is that postimage will sometimes add an advertisement link to that, which can easily be cut off by simply manually copying the image link only though, ending in "[/img][/url]".

#20 Snowcrash000, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Scrapss likes this.
  21. Scrapss

Society

Agree, mobile apps and straight desktop is MUCH easier for these things. You're spot on.

Mobile usually is a bit more clunky with web browsers instead of apps, but apps usually like to add unnecessary permissions to their repertoire...which I don't like having them access these things on my phone.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  22. officerbill

Society

I've only used postimages on an Android phone and have always used the direct link (tap on the little “copy” symbol to the right) to post on BA and have never had an ad.
    The hotlink adds all of the HTML markup. That isn't needed using BA's insert image. Try direct instead of hot and see how it works for you.

23. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I just think that pasting the hotlink directly into my message is a lot simpler than having to use the image functionality. Having to cut off the advertisement link is a non-issue, really.

Scrapss and officerbill like this.
  24. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (435) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Dumb question. Why can’t photos be uploaded directly like untapped? I’ve never understood this.

25. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,984) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

As far as uploading pictures to a specific beer page, photographs need to meet certain guidelines and parameters. 150 pixels by 300 pixels of the beer. Not of a trendy 8-bit glass with the family dog taking up 60% of the picture or some artsy low angle shot of the corner of the beer can.

26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think it's because this site does not have the resources to store the huge amount of data that comes with the pics that are embeded in the forum posts. The tiny pics that are on the pages of the Beer and Places features are miniscule compared with all of the pics in the forums.

ichorNet, beergoot, meefmoff and 5 others like this.
  27. chipawayboy

Trader

Huh? BA doesn’t edit or limit dumb photos from being uploaded. Trust me - I’ve loaded my share of dog/beer photos. They do make you go through a hosting site. My question is why.

28. rudzud

Society Trader

I'm talking about uploading the 'official' picture of the beer on said beers profile page. BA doesn't have the storage space hence why the limit those pictures to 20kb 150x300

beergoot likes this.
  29. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,730) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

They limit the size and specify the dimensions because they store the images, want to limit the cost, and make thing consistent.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  30. chipawayboy

Trader

Ok. I’m talking about every other upload except those.

31. rudzud

Society Trader

Correct.

bbtkd likes this.
  32. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Those pictures aren't stored on BA, they're stored on the hosting site. That's the whole point.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  33. chipawayboy

Trader

I’m with you. But I’d prefer to not spend 10 minutes every time I load a pic. w/UTP it takes nano seconds. Am I being too demanding of an advocate ?

34. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I dunno, uploading a picture to an image hosting site and hotlinking it takes me like 30 seconds. Sure it would be easier to upload the pictures to BA directly but storing all that data costs a lot of money and apparently they don't have the resources for that.

officerbill likes this.
  35. chipawayboy

Trader

Apparently ...,,

36. officerbill

Society

Just attached a picture to ”what beer are you drinking now”. Time spent opening hosting site, uploading photo, copying link, and pasting into post was <20 seconds, most of which was the upload.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. chipawayboy

Trader

U should call Guinness.

Milktoast75 likes this.
  38. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (491) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

So, I have an issue related to posted images, but not specifically posting an image myself.

I took a break off BA for many months. Since I have come back, there are many IMGUR posts that I effectively cannot see on a mobile device. It’s as if the imbedded photo is GIGANTIC, and only a small portion of it is viewable. I have to try to scroll horizontally inside the image to see it, but I can only ever get about 1/4 the way through before my finger makes it to the edge of my screen. On either side of the photo, there appears to be “dead” space that is gray, as if the photo is a square but the image imbedded is a widescreen.

This does not happen to every single Imgur post, but it does for most that I have viewed here on BA.

What is more peculiar is that if I am viewing a thread with a lot of uploads (eg haul thread), some IMGUr will be obscured like this, but not all. So I don’t think it is a loading issue.

This never happened months ago.

Any idea what’s going on?

sharpski likes this.
  39. chipawayboy

Trader

but at least it only takes 30 seconds to upload...:grin:

40. chipawayboy

Trader

I just saw that my go-to hosting site tinypic is closing down sometime in 2019. So I guess all the photos I’ve posted on BA for the past 7 years are going to disappear. Another downside to the hosting approach vs. direct site storage approach. :slight_frown: