Help! Cellar problem.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by CoreyC, Aug 26, 2018.

1. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (193) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

My freezer with an external temp controller is giving me problems. Last summer was fine (but maybe the Eva-Dry isn't working this year) but the humidity is off the charts this summer (in the 90's per the gauge with dripping) and water has pooled in the bottom and it looks like maybe mold was forming. So my questions are:
    1) is this dangerous for me to keep using it and drinking the beer?
    2) do I have to have a frost-free freezer to avoid this humidity issue?
    Any input is appreciated!
    Corey

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (412) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

I know almost nothing about freezers, but my first question is whether you have it outside (garage counts as outside given how much different the temps will be than "inside") and whether this freezer is rated to be outside.

It does not seem common knowledge that you can't put just any freezer outside and expect it to work as though it was inside. They make freezers rated for conditions like that. They are more expensive.

3. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Initiate (199) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan

If you have your freezer in a cellar, purchase a dehumidifier to knock that humidity down.

4. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (515) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

1) No, it’s just water and mold and can’t get into the bottles/cans. If you let the mold go unchecked, then you can get sick from the spores and water slime.

2) It would help, but ambient air humidity has everything do do with your water pooling, and removing/containing the moisture must be done regularly or until the air humidity drops. Not opening the freezer on rainy/cloudy/hazy days is key, but inconvenient when you want to drink on those days. I used to use Damp-Rid from Home Depot in my keezer, and would switch the little buckets out every 8 weeks or so. I had a hemlock collar for taps around the top as well, so humidity was not really sealed out well either.

5. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (193) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

The freezer is in the basement and the humidity down there is kept at 50% with a dehumidifier. The dripping is from the coil/racks. I know before it was my cellar and it was my wife’s freezer she had to defrost it every summer.