Quebec Help for bachelor party in Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RollTide7, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide7

RollTide7 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey

We are doing my bachelor party up in Montreal and driving up and making a stop in Vermont to get some HT and probably stopping at HF too. Can I get any suggestions for great beer bars in Montreal? We love IPAs Belgians and sours. Any help is very much appreciated.

2. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Poo-Bah (3,004) Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Dieu Du Ciel!

Also, if you are picking up beer in the US and bringing it to Canada, you can only bring one case per person without having to pay duty. Keep your receipts just to be safe.

3. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Initiate (164) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

A case of 12 or a case of 24?

4. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

A case of 24.

5. Whatup14

Whatup14 Crusader (731) Apr 16, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Brouhaha.
    Cheval Blanc, Saint-Bock, L'Amère à boire (all three in walking distance)
    Vices et Versa.

6. RollTide7

RollTide7 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2013 New Jersey

Thanks for the heads up on the bringin beer in...I'd be just buying it on the way up to take home. I will scope out all the places suggested.

7. Mol

Mol Initiate (123) Mar 30, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

Biremes et Compagnie - huge beer list, Canadian craft, Belgian lambics , and good food...google for the menu and address

8. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'll throw La Succursale in there. Underrated but very good!

9. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (419) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can someone clarify exactly what can be brought up 24* 12oz? Or is there a volume limit?, 8.5 liters per person? (Potential Montreal visitor scoping Ip trading) and going out same limits 8.5 liters per person? If they charge duty how bad is it?

10. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike Initiate (160) May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I had my bachelor party there as well, but I can't remember what was on tap at Wanda's. It's such a great town, I'm sure you'll have a blast no matter what. Just make sure to have one morning after meal at Schwartz's.

11. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

It is a volume limit of 8.5L (which is equivalent to 24-12 oz bottles). Duty is BAD but they often screw up the calculation. When they don't screw it up, it amounts to approximately 30% of the cost of the beer.

12. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (419) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

thanks for that info, its what I thought but assumptions are not a good start in a discussion with a border guard.

13. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (6,377) Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I usually just say how many bottles I have, without specifying volume. The border guards tend to assume everything is a 12oz bottle and I've never had them check. Obviously I wouldn't try to use this strategy with 24 750ml bottles, but I've done so with a mixture of bottle sizes. In any case, they're generally too lazy to try to figure out what the total volume is unless you're clearly over the limit, and the mixture of metric and imperial volumes confuses the heck out of them.

papat444 likes this.
  14. pushkinwow

pushkinwow Initiate (69) Dec 20, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Just be aware that the rules are different when you go into Quebec from the US then other provinces are vise versa - and my understanding was that you are only allowed to bring a case of beer *8.5 litres into Quebec at any time regardless of duty etc (unlike Ontario where you can bring one duty free and then up to 45 litres of beer and pay duty).

Janeinma likes this.
  15. unibroue4ever

unibroue4ever Initiate (116) Oct 20, 2010 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

If you spend more than 48 hours in the US back into Québec you are allowed to bring a case of beer *8.5 litres taxfree + a case of beer *8.5 litres that you need to pay taxes on

16. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

This. I say 12 beers, they think a 10$ Bud Light pack :stuck_out_tongue:

17. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

That's not a risk I am willing to take, but I know many people who do (like you). The downside risk is just too big IMO because if they do check and find the 24 bombers, you risk them seizing the beer. I'd rather just pay duty to avoid that risk. There are creative ways to minimize your duty :sunglasses:

18. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (6,377) Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm always honest about the number of bottles, and they're certainly welcome to calculate the total volume and charge me the appropriate duty. I just don't actively work out the precise number of litres beforehand or volunteer the info that I might be a bit over the limit. Invariably it's growlers that put me over, and I'm not even sure how they'd calculate duty on those; there's no way to verify the contents and I could claim it's homebrew or something.

But yeah, I wouldn't try to sneak through 24 bombers or a 30L keg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.