Help from San Franciscans

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by DevilDog0331, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevilDog0331

DevilDog0331 Initiate (27) Jun 6, 2008 Illinois

So, my wife is heading out to San Fran for some business, and of course, I would love for her to pick up some beers for me. I was going to send her an hour to Russian River to pick up some PtE and any of the sours they have available. Is this necessary? Are these readily available in liquor stores? If so, where should I send her? What other west coast treasures should I have her look for that I can't get in Chicago?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,283) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

pinkgrenade likes this.
  3. dubinsky

dubinsky Devotee (411) Sep 16, 2009 California
    Trader

Totally uncecessary...to call it San Fran as well as make the 1.5 hour drive to RR. She should be able to pick up Pliny and some sours as well as other great beers at a few stores throughout San Francisco. RR makes deliveries on Wednesdays only so if she calls ahead, and plans accordingly she should be able to pick up some beers at whole foods on 4th street or Portrero. City beer store will also be a great place for her to pick up some hader to find beers for you. Good luck.

RobertV916 likes this.
  4. DevilDog0331

DevilDog0331 Initiate (27) Jun 6, 2008 Illinois

Thanks! Didn't know there was an aversion to calling it San Fran, I will refrain from now on. I've only been once, and its a great city, no Chicago, but pretty cool none the less. ;-)

Thanks so much for the tip!

5. RobertV916

RobertV916 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2012 California

People cringe when they refer to it as San Fran or even worse Frisco. Its either San Francisco or The City.

tx_beer_man and Commanche like this.
  6. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

hmmmmmmmm...I've always called it Frisco or SanFranFreako!!!

Finding PtE is all about timing timing timing. I don't know anywhere it's readily available except RRBC in Santa Rosa...I've always called Santa Rosa Santa Rosa!

HelloImTravis likes this.
  7. HelloImTravis

HelloImTravis Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2011 California

City Beer seems to have Pliny every time I go in there. Give 'em a call, see when theyre getting their shipments in.

beepill likes this.
  8. CyberMonk

CyberMonk Initiate (69) May 18, 2010 California

Toronado is also a decent place to pick up Pliny bottles (2 bottle limit IIRC). Just make sure to order a beer or two first before asking for the bottle menu :slight_smile:

9. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,192) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Justinsosmart likes this.
  10. CapnTrav

CapnTrav Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 California

lived 21 years in the bay and never saw anyone cringe when someone said frisco or san fran

11. Justinsosmart

Justinsosmart Aspirant (249) May 14, 2013 California

I still call it The City even living in SoCal haha. Never Frisco.

12. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (347) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

So Toronado is a bar that also sells beer to go?

13. Rotero24

Rotero24 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2013 California

Only the SF location sells beers to go

14. mjl21

mjl21 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 California

What city did you live in for 21 years?

15. CapnTrav

CapnTrav Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 California

san leandro. with almost weekly trips to SF for many of them. ive heard it called lots of different things but never visually seen anyone cringe at a name...

16. vinylfiend1

vinylfiend1 Initiate (83) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

Pretty much. I grew up on Bay area hip hop culture so I always say "frisco" or the "sco". All my favorite Frisco Rappers say it. Equipto, dre dogg, san quinn, rbl, etc. There is slang for every bay area city. If you dont like the slang term dont say it.

beepill likes this.
  17. e34john

e34john Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2013 California

I know :slight_frown: was just at the San Diego one, kept asking if I could take their Firestone 16 home with me, didn't happen.

18. beepill

beepill Initiate (158) Nov 28, 2012 Canada

Yeah (echoing what HelloImTravis said) City Beer Store always seems to have it when I need it, but you have to ask the cashier or bartender to get them in the back. I think it's a 4-bottle limit on PTE. The Whole Foods on Potrero Hill usually has PTE, but again, just ask the guys stocking the beer, or go downstairs to the bar and ask the one of the bartenders if they can get some from the back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.