Help! Quick-Turn-Around Beer Needed

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by utahbeerdude, Jun 18, 2017.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (374) May 2, 2006 Utah

Long story short: I royally screwed up a batch of beer that was targeted at my brother-in-law, who is coming to visit in about 3 weeks. I thus need to make a beer that I can get into the keg in about 1 week (so that it can carbonate for about 2 weeks).

So the question is: what is your best quick-turn-around beer? My brother in law does not like over the top hoppy styles. I'm thinking maybe American wheat, but I open to suggestions. I am looking for specific recipes that are real winners, but suggestions regarding possible styles are welcome. To save time on this unplanned brew day I'll likely go with extract as a base. TIA and Cheers!

2. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (1,654) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

I did a Dark Mild last year that was grain to glass (kegged) in 9 days. Used 1968 and was very happy with it:
    6 gals
    7.5 lbs pale malt
    6 oz C-60
    6 oz C-120
    5 oz Black Patent
    5 oz Crisp Chocolate

0.75 oz EKG at 60
    OG 1.041; FG 1.012; ABV 3.8%; SRM 25; IBU 19

#2 Buck89, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    inchrisin, machalel, pweis909 and 3 others like this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,351) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I would recommend a mild (@Buck89's recipe looks fine) or a basic hefe... Wheat DME to desired OG, an ounce (for 5 gallons) of noble hops @60 minutes and Wyeast 3068.

ETA: 3068 is often sulfur-y, but in my experience it's dissipated by the end of a week.

#3 VikeMan, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (523) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Table saison. Mash to glass in about 6 days if kegging and force carbing. Shoot for 3.5-4% ABV. Flavorful and quick. I try to always have this on in the summer.

A hefeweisen would be good too.

machalel, utahbeerdude and jbakajust1 like this.
  5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (460) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Ditch the extract . . . the secret to quick beers is low OG and heavy pitch count. My favorite is Patersbier; basically pilsner malt, a touch of noble hops, and a decent Belgian strain (Westmalle, Ardennes, Abbey). Shoot for an OG no more than 1.040'ish and pitch a lot of healthy yeasties. I did this in 11 days and it won BOS. If the brother is a Monk, I guarantee he'll go wild over this.

Regarding 1 week primary/2 week carbing. I would shift this to at least 1:1 ratio. If you really want to slow-carb quickly (ha!), fill two kegs to the half mark. It'll be done in 3-4 days by setting serving pressure only. If you really want to carb quickly I suppose you could fill three kegs to the 1/3 mark and it'll be ready in 2-3 days. Are you and Fr Brother gonna drink it all the first day?

6. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (477) May 9, 2007 Ohio

My vote goes to a Trappist single (patersbier). Low OG. Pilsner malt and sugar. Noble hops. Belgian yeast strain. Add some gelatin at keging and you're good to go.

utahbeerdude and jbakajust1 like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,971) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

And my vote is a low gravity English Pale (Bitter) Ale.

I prefer Maris Otter Pale Malt with a bit of English Crystal Malt. My preferred yeast is Wyeast 1469. Mildly bitter hop but use some East Kent Golding hops for flavor and aroma additions. Make sure to ferment warm to encourage esters from the yeast

The combination of malt flavors, and stone fruit flavors from the yeast and earthy flavors from the East Kent Golding hops are glorious!!

Cheers!

rocdoc1 and utahbeerdude like this.
  8. corbmoster

corbmoster Aspirant (253) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

DrewBeechum and utahbeerdude like this.
  9. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

I say a regular 50/50 wheat pils hefeweiss with 3068. By day 4-5 it should be done fermenting, a week in the keg it'll be prefect. And it's not a small beer. No need for additional time to grow up yeast, a single(healthy) smack pack is all that is needed.

utahbeerdude and jbakajust1 like this.
  10. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (485) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Why two weeks to carb?

Once kegged, put it at 30-40psi and let sit for 24-36hrs... Then reduce to serving pressure for 2-3 days and it will be all set to go. No shaking or risk of over-carbonation, I do this on nearly every batch and it's ready to go in 2-3 days from kegging.

This way, you have a bit more time to cleanly ferment and all that fun stuff.

11. csurowiec

csurowiec Devotee (410) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

As said above a low gravity session beer will help with quick turnaround. The other thing that can help speed things up is yeast strain. Every beer I have made with Fermentis T-58 and with WLP013 have finished real quick.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  12. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (913) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm all for a session APA in that situation and keg hop it (I usually dry hop an ounce for my not-too-hoppy-APAs) to save time. You can easily bang out a 5% APA that will ferment quick and clean with a Chico yeast, and lightly hopped as not to be offensive.

I'd do a SMaSH personally to keep it simple, 2 Row and Centennial (Two Hearted is almost this combo but adds a little crystal grain) is usually a favorite of most anyone I've given it to. Throw some crystal grains in there if you want some sweetness and color.
    Expected: 5.25 gallon 75% efficiency 75% attenuation
    OG 1.050 FG 1.013 ABV 4.94% IBU 29.00 SRM 3.35
    9.5 lbs 2 Row
    .5 Oz Centennial @ 30
    1 Oz centennial @ 10
    1 Oz centennial @ Keg Hop
    1056/05

chavinparty and utahbeerdude like this.
  13. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,081) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Hefe, wit, Table Beer, mild. All of those sound good to me. And I agree with others, ferment for 1.5-2 weeks, then keg and start at 20-30 psi and drop after a couple days to serving pressure.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,971) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I recognize that it sometimes seems 'popular' on the BA homebrewing forum to make mention of extended fermentation timeframes. Having stated that but for a lower gravity beer there is no reason why fermentation can't be complete (i.e., reached final gravity, no fermentation off-flavors,...) in less than a week.

I personally do not keg beers but the advantage of carbonating over a longer timeframe (e.g., 2 weeks) is that CO2 hydration will be complete resulting in a finer and more pleasing carbonation of the beer.

Cheers!

15. corbmoster

corbmoster Aspirant (253) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

2 weeks to condition and carb will do nothing but help the beers. You could serve them in less time than that. But 2 weeks would be great.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Disciple (361) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

This is a great idea. All base malt or just extract, EKGs or Fuggles, and S04. Couldn't be easier.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  17. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (196) Nov 6, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've made some great milds based on a recipe found in Ron Pattinson's blog... It was tweaked because I didn't have confidence in stopping the yeast mid fermentation and I wanted a low abv beer.

The recipe is:
    5.5 lbs Pale Malt
    8 oz Amber Malt
    2 oz Black Malt
    2 lbs flaked corn
    15 oz of Lyle's Golden Syrup with 1 oz of Blackstrap Molasses
    Then .5 oz of Cluster at 60min
    1 oz of EKG at 30min
    Danstar Windsor Yeast

Instructions: I mashed high at about 156 F.

In 5 gallons this came out to 3.5% abv but did not really taste light.

Edit: I suggest this recipe because I brewed a batch on Sunday June 4th. I kegged it on the 11th just 7 days after but that's because I went out of town.

It went from 1.044 to 1.016, but when I measured the gravity on the 6th because the airlock seemed to have stopped it was at 1.018... It nearly finished fermentation within 48 hours. I would have kegged it before 7 days but as I said I was out of town...

utahbeerdude and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (688) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

19. utahbeerdude

Lot's of awesome ideas here! Thanks to everyone who responded! Now I just have to decide which of the recommended styles to go for. Maybe a mild, as it's the one style I've never done. I've also never carbed at higher than serving pressure, but there's no reason I cannot do that. Cheers!

20. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (611) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'd go Hefe or low abv Saison

jbakajust1 likes this.
  21. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (1,654) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

I've used the burst carbonation method in this link a few times with good results, although I have stayed on the low end to try to avoid overcarbing. Set it and forget it is my default unless I'm in a hurry for some reason.

http://brulosophy.com/methods/carbonation-methods/

utahbeerdude likes this.
  22. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (460) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

So . . . what ended up in the mash tun?

23. utahbeerdude

I'm going with a mild. I've never made one, so that was part of the appeal, plus my two other beers on tap are on the light end of the spectrum, a Dortmunder and an IPA. Hopefully I'll get it brewed up in a day or two. Cheers!

corbmoster and Buck89 like this.
  24. kcq101

kcq101 Aspirant (237) Nov 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

I had to turn something around in two weeks and was pleased with the results. But it looks like you're going with the mild route.

Nonetheless, if you are ever looking to brew something in the Belgian/Saison spectrum, I used the Mangrove Jack M41 Belgian Ale yeast (dry) that ripped through 5.5 gallons of 1.049 OG wort down to 1.008 FG in a matter of three days. There was a touch of sulfur on the nose at the end of Day 3. But it had fully dissipated by Day 5-6. I was very impressed at the speed, pleased with the resulting beer, and anxious to explore some other Mangrove Jack offerings.

Good luck with the mild!

utahbeerdude likes this.
  25. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,081) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

I did my first ever Dark Mild and fermented it 100% Brett last year. It was Delish. Gonna do another one for Fall with an English strain (probably 1469 or my NEIPA strain).

utahbeerdude likes this.
  26. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (268) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I brewed a brown mild for an employee party once, it fermented in 4 days and carbonated in the keg for another 10. It was so tasty that most of my employees thought it was high gravity strong beer. From my old and tired memory I believe I used around 18 pounds of Maris Otter and some brown malt(this was a 15 gallon batch) Hop with Wye Challenger or Goldings.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.