Help with a stout stuck at 1.030.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Kraeusen, Oct 25, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraeusen

Kraeusen Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2012 Maine

I have a Vanilla Stout that is now at 2 weeks in the fermenter that is sitting at 1.030 for the last week. It started at 1.060. Room temp is around 70 degrees.

The plan for the beer was to secondary it onto 3 Burbon soaked vanilla beans @ the 2 week mark but now with the beer stuck at 1.030 I am not sure what to do.

My idea was to rehydrate a dry packet of Safale us-05 and when I rack to the secondary drop it in. However, I am iffy on some of the logistics of doing this. Should I aerate the beer or not? I have heard that this introduces o2 and although the yeast would like it could it hurt the flavor of the beer. 2nd, would it be better to try and make a starter instead of just rehydrating? The only issue with a starter is that I am not sure how to do one properly and when to introduce it to the stuck beer.

Thanks in advance.

2. bs870621345

bs870621345 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2009 Iowa

What yeast did you start with? I'd be far more likely to add the us-05 (after rehydration for 10 minutes) than I would be to aerate.

3. epk

epk Pundit (813) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

No, you cannot aerate at this point - that would oxidize the beer. What you could do first is simply try to rouse the yeast - http://www.brews-bros.com/index.php/topic/921-rousing-yeast-aka-swirling/

Do that and take a reading to see if it started moving again if a couple days. Throwing in some us-05 is not a bad idea either but if the yeast pick up again, you may not even need it. You don't need a starter.

OldPenguinHunter likes this.
  4. epk

Am I missing something? How would you aerate at this point without causing oxidation? Your post seems to suggest it is an option.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If you're going to add yeast, I would just do it in the primary.

6. Kraeusen

The yeast I first pitched was Safale s-33 (which I read later on is not a great yeast). I did swirl the beer a little bit in the fermenter after the 1st week and nothing changed so this is why I am suggesting doing a re-pitch. I just want to know the best way to do it. I could re-pitch in the original fermentation bucket but it has been 2 weeks and I was worried about the beer sitting too long on the old yeast. This is why I suggested re-pitching when I transferred to the secondary.
    Aeration is now out of the equation.

7. bs870621345

bs870621345 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2009 Iowa

I've heard people do crazier things and still come out with good beer. I would not do it, but some people may be inclined to do so.

8. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

2 weeks is not old yeast by any means. Ive had beers in the primary for 6 to 8 weeks (regular ale yeasts, much much longer for brett and bugs) with no ill effects. No sense in repitching in secondary, kinda defeats the purpose. I would recommend rousing the yeast first, if that does not work then repitch.

azorie likes this.
  9. epk

Well, I suppose I can't argue with that.

10. Kraeusen

I'll go with the consensus.. Swirl and rouse the yeast and recheck in 1 week. Thanks!

11. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Not sure how well the vanilla would play, but you could drop some Brett in there, though you should attempt to arrest the secondary fermentation around 1.020 to keep it from getting too dry.

12. mattbk

mattbk Savant (1,099) Dec 12, 2011 New York

recipe please. depending upon your grain bill, it may be completely done.... please send so we can verify - before you add any brett to your beer. :sunglasses:

13. od_sf

od_sf Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 California

How would you go about this? Lowering the temperature when you get to 1.020 *might* put the brett to sleep, but then how would you carb the beer? Seems like it would be very tricky. If you're going to add brett, I'd say be prepared to have a really dry stout, or potential bottle bombs if you bottle at 1.020. Unless I'm missing something.

14. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Maven (1,374) May 2, 2006 Utah

I seriously doubt that rousing the yeast is going to do much, give the rather high gravity at the moment. The only thing that I have found that is successful at resurrecting a stalled fermentation is to pitch some healthy yeast. If I were to do it, I would make a starter and pitch at high krausen (while the yeast are in sugar-consumption mode). Best of luck!

azorie likes this.
  15. jae

Crash cool to floc Brett, transfer to tertiary with potassium metabisulfite solution. The gravity *should* stabilize. Re-yeast when bottling to quickly consume priming (simple) sugar.

16. koopa

koopa Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey

Besides figuring out "what to do now" I'd also recommend trying to determine "what went wrong" so that you don't have similar results in the future. Did you pitch enough yeast to begin with? Did you properly rehydrate the original pitch first? How did you aerate the wort originally? How hot was your wort when you pitched originally? Did you add yeast nutrient to your wort prior to pitching?

17. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Have you actually done this? I would be pretty concerned about any race between the new yeast and the remaining sulfur dioxide from the K-Meta.

18. beer272

beer272 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2009 New Jersey

Dark beers with adjuncts will settle higher on the final gravity. Without knowing more on the grain bill or LME that is my guess. Just transfer to 2ary and proceed with your plan. The original yeast went from 1060 to 1030 so I would not introduce oxygen at this point. I have bottled with 1040 or higher on higher starting gravities with no harmful effects.

The brett ideas put you in a different direction, could turn sour, dry at 1005 for the final. Like the one author said, drop in brett, than watch closely, then drop in metabisulfite when it hits the FG you want, and this kills all stuff.

19. nquigley16

nquigley16 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts

20. jae

Isn't SO2 a gas? Just wait for a few weeks (I've waited a month or so . . .); it'll form and be released from the beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.