Help with Milwaukee info & releases Oct 22nd weekend?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by mrz200, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

hey folks
    I'm a New England BA coming to Milwaukee in a couple weeks for the Widespread Panic shows.

have done a few trades with Chicago-area folks and have become extremely fond of Pipeworks & Surly.

I'm looking for a good shop for some take home souvenir bottles, and any recommendations on bottles or releases to hunt down would be great.
    I'm staying with my brother & his wife on Vliet near Harley (she walks to work there). So any bottle shops nearby there would be helpful.

definitely consume my fair share of Trillium & Tree House IPA's, but given the choice I think the West Coast style is my favorite, so I'm definitely not looking for beers that are doing the same thing that my local guys are doing just fine with. Night Shift's Santilli or Maine Beer's Lunch are probably my desert island IPA.

Cheers!

2. sherm1016

sherm1016 (0) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

Go to Discount Liquor on Oklahoma or Ray's on North Ave.

If you want WI hoppy beers, find Karben4 Fantasy Factory and Idiot Farm.

Also look for Toppling Goliath beers, whatever is hoppy and fresh.

teamwiggum and mrz200 like this.
  3. Jaycase

Jaycase (1,102) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Check out the Black Husky taproom. Speaking of which has anyone been there? Haven't seen any posts regarding the new taproom.

aep, Angerhaus and jRocco2021 like this.
  4. sherm1016

sherm1016 (0) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

It's alright. Nice location, great patio. Spacious inside.

No food, but you can carry in or have it delivered.

64 and 32 oz growlers, but They'll fill other breweries' growlers.

Jaycase likes this.
  5. fondyball20

fondyball20 (0) Feb 14, 2015 Wisconsin

Stop by the Good City taproom... Reward is a very good dipa and they have good food.

6. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

IMO black husky is well worth a visit great beer and an awesome space.

Angerhaus likes this.
  7. NCbeer

NCbeer (0) Sep 6, 2012 North Carolina

I'm in for this too. What is the best bar for good draft selection? Staying at downtown Doubletree, but don't mind ubering. I'm planning to stop by one of the liquor stores mentioned above when I get in town Friday. Thank you all for the suggestions.

8. fondyball20

Bayview (South Milwaukee) has some great craft bars. Sugar Maple, Burnhearts, Palm Tavern are all in Bayview. Downtown there is Rumpus Room. For a good brewery with food, Good City. If you in the West burbs... Champps has a great tap list every day.

9. RexKramer

RexKramer (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

Fancy running into you here, mrz.

It's harvest beer time, so if you can find 3 Floyd's Broo Doo or Founder's Harvest Ale, I highly recommend jumping on them. I also like the Karben 4 Fantasy Factory and Toppling Goliath recommendations.

mrz200 likes this.
  10. NCbeer

NCbeer (0) Sep 6, 2012 North Carolina

Are there any good beer stores downtown?

11. MilwaukeeNintendo

MilwaukeeNintendo (0) Feb 13, 2015 Wisconsin

Hi NCbeer and mrz200 - welcome to Milwaukee! Our city is pretty great, with lots of good places to eat and drink. For bottles, by far the best selection is Ray's Wine out in in Tosa (about 20 minutes out of Milwaukee). Ottos Wine is a little closer, and also has a good selection.

Stubbys is a pretty good place with 53 beers on tap and above mediocre food. Black Husky (in Riverwest) just released Sparkly Eyes, a stellar imperial IPA brewed with Spruce. Draft & Vessel in Shorewood also has a good tap selection, and is having a taco truck tonight.

Enjoy your stay, and be sure to try some cheese. seriously, we have good cheese.

cheers

mrz200 likes this.
  12. fondyball20

Ray's in Wauwatosa or Discount Liquor on the Southside.

13. bound4er

bound4er (325) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

I'm going to tonight's show - 1st timer. Looking forward to it. May go to Rumpus Room after the show - they have a decent tap list and its walking distance from the Riverside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.