Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Help with Westvleteren Extra bottle date

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beersnake1, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,197) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

So, I received this beer from a friend today, and he said that it was at least 40 years old. I did a bit of research online, but couldn't find the exact date when Westy Extra changed to Westy 8. Any thoughts about bottle date?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (217) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

No numbers on the cap?

4. Beersnake1

Beer Trader

No, nothing visible. The rust might be obscuring something, but nothing can be seen. On the bottom of the bottle, there is a big 32 and then smaller 6085 underneath that.

5. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Dang. Oh well, when you open that puppy, I hope you post a review of it. Prost!

6. Beersnake1

Beer Trader

Absolutely will!

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. Bitterbill

Supporter Beer Trader

Right on, bro!
    I read some reviews and I saw that the red cap didn't do very well with the aging. I reckon that I should open mine and see what's what. Prost !

Beersnake1 likes this.
  8. MrDell

MrDell Disciple (365) Nov 20, 2014 Switzerland
    Beer Trader

There was a discussion about old westvleteren caps with dates and stuff on The Belgian Beer Board's Facebook group a week or so ago. May be worth asking there.

Beer_Economicus and Beersnake1 like this.
  9. bartlebierle

bartlebierle Initiate (121) Apr 16, 2014 Germany

In case it's not too late and you've already dug in: Care to cap it side by side with a more recent vintage of West8?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.